• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Blisters - Is it too late to change boots?

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
yes...
Hello - what a week I'm having! We've taken a week's holiday and we're walking everyday... we're trying to take testing circular routes and I'm carrying my pack each day.

I've learned a lot... and today I'm begining to wonder if my boots are too narrow.

I have very wide feet... my Mammut boots are the third pair I've tried. I've walked perhaps 200km in them up to now and I've not had a problem. I've bought good socks, I've experimented and found 2 pairs work best for me without lubrication and up until now I've not had any problems. I've walked in rain and sun and no blisters.

A few weeks ago at home when doing 10km on a hot day I noticed a blister between my little toe and the next when I got home... I didn't notice or feel this when walking and I've never had this problem before so thought it was a one off... maybe something got in the boot to cause rubbing?

Yesterday I noticed a blister here again and so I stopped and tapped and padded the area - took off my boots... aired my feet and did all the things I was meant to do.

Today I stopped after 2km as I have blisters on the insides of both small toes and on the ends of the little toes... I've also got a edge blister on one heel which I think is down to the new insole... which fits my foot perfectly but not the boot.

I can easily remove the new insoles and go back to the original but I am begining to think that as I walk more my foot is getting wider and my boots are too narrow.

The blisters are bad enough for us to decide no more walking... so we're cutting our holiday 2 days short. That's fine... this is the south of France and there are things we can do BUT the last thing I want when I'm walking the CF is to have to stop.

Should I consider changing boot/shoe at this late stage? Is this a disaster or a blessing? I have researched this so much and really thought I had the blister problem under control. This week was just meant to be a test of my kit as I've done so much walking at home... any thoughts from you seasoned experts?

I feel I should apologise... I turn to the forum whenever things go wrong at the moment... but you always seem to have good advice! :oops:

p.s. I also found his great website for information on blisters... formation, prevention and the science behind them.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Blisters between the toes can be because there is not enough room for your feet to spread, just the way your feet are, or because your feet are getting too hot. You can do something about the first and last reason, the second is difficult. Toe spacers might help, or the gel lined tubes - both available from the chemist. Or preventative taping. But I'd be looking at your footwear and trying to find a way of allowing your feet to spread and keep cool. I know you bought walking sandals - have you tried walking in those?

Oh dear - this doesn't sound like fun, not fun at all - reading your post, though, it seems that you only had problems when you put new insoles in, before then all was well?
If this is so then - well, take the insoles out! - it certainly sounds like your feet are being crushed by being raised too high into the boot - another thing to think about is that your feet are going to be at least one size larger after a few days on the Camino, so even going back to without the insoles it sounds like you have the wrong footwear so do something now.

I also have wide feet - clowns ain't in it! - and although I tend to wear Merrell trekking sandals most of the time I do have boots, mine are nice and wide and I can wriggle my toes when I walk - which is rather pleasant. However, I once added superfabhitechcomputerdesignedfootshapedlikewalkingonair insoles and within a mile or so the tops of my toes were getting hot points and I just wasn't comfortable - so I took them out and things have been fine since.

I commiserate with you - most boots just aren't designed for wide feet. Most now I don't even try on, I just place my index finger and hand across the sole and see how wide that is - I know my width. I don't know where you are - my boots now are British - but the American company Hi-Tec make wide boots on a wide lathe, the thing is, they are really cheap compared to most other brands but are well made and comfortable (for me).

One good tip when going on Camino is to take some sandals - ones that you know are comfortable - then if you do have blister problems out there you can clean up your feet, pad the areas really well - really well!! - and wear those instead, give your feet time to heal ... and then ... well, think about it - if you have just walked for two or three days in sandals to rest your feet - why on earth did you bring big boots with you in the first place? (Heresy here and I am bound to be attacked for it - gulp!) - well, lots of folk do walk the whole way in good trekking sandals, a friend of mine did his first and second Caminos wearing Crocs and never had a problem - so, you aren't scaling the Andes, or going into battle carrying 60 kilos, so I say wear what is comfortable for you - good quality wide trainers - ones with a proper firm sole with midsole support - can be much better than wearing big boots, think of Marathon runners! - so don't get too carried away by the awesome trek aspect - it is down to personal choice and personal comfort.

Just my point of view ;)

Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Kanga - I do have some Keens and I've actually just ordered myself a pair of Keen Targhee shoes. I've been reading and reading this evening about between toe blisters and like you say the conclusion seems to be a narrow fit shoe. Keen have a 10% off sale and free postage that ends today so I've ordered them. They'll arrive by Friday/Saturday and I can wear them for a week around the house... if they're ok I can wear them out for the last week and if not I'll send them back. The Keen Newports I have are wide enough for my feet so I'm hoping the Targhee is the same.

David... I did wonder if the insole was the main culprit, I have removed it but because this has happened before I'm thinking that perhaps it is walking long distances over a few days that has simply highlighted a problem too. I've bitten the bullet and ordered the Keen's... I'll look tomorrow at a few other options and if need be I'll order then too... I'll look at the Hi-Techs but I think I prefer the mid-boot... but not too heavy...I can always send things back if I dont use them. I'm in France and this makes it harder to find things but Keen's do deliver within 2 days so thats good news.

I do have walking the sandals - I tried them today but I could still feel friction so I decided to stop... but I have been living in my Keen Whispers since I bought them and I'll bring them with me when I walk as they are lighter than the Newports.

and yes... I also have clowns feet :rolleyes:

You didn't mention if you tried your boots at the shop standing on an incline plane. This approximates the pressure on your feet going down hill and up hill. If there's any pinching, ten minutes may find the hot sport. You also mentioned the blisters on the outside of your foot. This can be caused by either walking pigeon toed, or out swinger. I tend to point out and that has caused irritation to my knees. A big problem for anyone.
New Balance makes a "motion control" walking shoe that compensates for the ankle turning inside or outside. http://www.newbalance.com/women/sports-&-activities/walking/
I've worn this shoe on my last two Caminos and I have had no problems.
I wore Merrells low tops on both the Appalachian Trail (2, 164 miles/3,483 km) and the CF. They were fine on the AT, but caused massive blisters on the CF.
A last note: Should you begin your Camino with questions about the suitability of the boots/shoes you are wearing; I guarantee, even should the boots turn out fine...your questioning mind will convince you there's something wrong with the boots and the mind will win out every time.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
To get the best fit, go right to the shoe store after walking on a hot day when you're feet are swelled up.

Sadly for me, living in rural france I dont have a great deal of choice in local shops. I've had to order on-line or go to Bordeaux for my nearest stockist... but their stock is also limited. I'm envious of the choice some folks have. But I can certainly use the same idea to try out the new ones that arrive in the post.

You didn't mention if you tried your boots at the shop standing on an incline plane. This approximates the pressure on your feet going down hill and up hill. If there's any pinching, ten minutes may find the hot sport. You also mentioned the blisters on the outside of your foot. This can be caused by either walking pigeon toed, or out swinger. I tend to point out and that has caused irritation to my knees. A big problem for anyone.
New Balance makes a "motion control" walking shoe that compensates for the ankle turning inside or outside. http://www.newbalance.com/women/sports-&-activities/walking/
I've worn this shoe on my last two Caminos and I have had no problems.
I wore Merrells low tops on both the Appalachian Trail (2, 164 miles/3,483 km) and the CF. They were fine on the AT, but caused massive blisters on the CF.
A last note: Should you begin your Camino with questions about the suitability of the boots/shoes you are wearing; I guarantee, even should the boots turn out fine...your questioning mind will convince you there's something wrong with the boots and the mind will win out every time.

Arn - you're right in that I walk oddly... I have scoliosis as well as clown's feet so this does impact on how I walk.

I'll look at the New Balance... if I have to I'll order a few new ones and try them out at home.. if it means finding the right pair it's worth it... and i can send back the ones I dont take!

Also... I take the point about mind of matter... I'll try to keep a very open mind :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear about your blisters, Les:(

I think it might be worth looking at moving away from boots, and look at trainers/trailrunners (And yes, I would say this - after much trying and failing the only time I can be convinced to plan for boots is if there is loads of snow and below 0°. However, I know boots work better for some...)

Shoes that fit you right do not need walking in. I prefer shoes with a mesh, or very light upper as I find that this allows for my feet/toes to spread out during the day (mesh might allow some small stones to enter, it's a trade off...) If you are worried about ankle support, you can always get additional ankle support - there are several types available; with splints, with laces, long versions, short versions...

I wear both women's and men's shoes - depending on brand. Men's shoes are generally wider by the toe, they also seem to have a wider "heel", but I've not had problems with chafing/movement when I wear inner/outer socks.

Walking up and down flights of stairs a few times will generally show any "Hotspots" quickly. To see if they fit around my toes, I sit at a kitchen chair, place my heels up against the leg, toes on the floor, then read a book for 10-20 minutes - this tends to show any issues with the upper mesh/fabric "crunching", too. This "test" might not work for everyone, but it works for me...

Best of luck:)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There is a Decathlon in Bordeaux, out on the northern ring road, fairly close to Ikea - Avenue des Français Libres.
you most likely already know this, but, as boko says, boots for men are wider than boots for women, although they look the same.

Good luck with what you do - there are some spot-on posts above.

We wear Hi-Tec for their width, with the insoles that they have in already. Good fitting and light. They do mail order I think too.We use what appear to be 2 EU sizes larger than our normal shoes

Hi there
I also have short wide feet. I've been experimenting for some weeks now wearing my Camino boots all my waking hours pretty much. They are about a size and a half bigger than my normal tramping boots to allow for swelling and a pair of liner socks as well as outer socks. They look much bigger than usual - I felt like a cross between a clown and a labrador pup at first. I lace the fronts loosely and use a locking lacing on the ankle so my foot stays nicely firm in the boots - especially going downhill. (I got horrible blisters wearing too big boots laced normally years ago so I was concerned that too big boots would be asking for trouble before my feet had swollen, but so far no problem when laced properly).
The other between toe blister thing is that sometimes when you cut your toenails there is a little bit than needles the toe next door when they are cramped together. I know "they" say to always cut toenails straight - but I prefer to nip off the corners to prevent chafing between toes.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello - what a week I'm having! We've taken a week's holiday and we're walking everyday... we're trying to take testing circular routes and I'm carrying my pack each day.

I've learned a lot... and today I'm begining to wonder if my boots are too narrow.

I have very wide feet... my Mammut boots are the third pair I've tried. I've walked perhaps 200km in them up to now and I've not had a problem. I've bought good socks, I've experimented and found 2 pairs work best for me without lubrication and up until now I've not had any problems. I've walked in rain and sun and no blisters.

A few weeks ago at home when doing 10km on a hot day I noticed a blister between my little toe and the next when I got home... I didn't notice or feel this when walking and I've never had this problem before so thought it was a one off... maybe something got in the boot to cause rubbing?

Yesterday I noticed a blister here again and so I stopped and tapped and padded the area - took off my boots... aired my feet and did all the things I was meant to do.

Today I stopped after 2km as I have blisters on the insides of both small toes and on the ends of the little toes... I've also got a edge blister on one heel which I think is down to the new insole... which fits my foot perfectly but not the boot.

I can easily remove the new insoles and go back to the original but I am begining to think that as I walk more my foot is getting wider and my boots are too narrow.

The blisters are bad enough for us to decide no more walking... so we're cutting our holiday 2 days short. That's fine... this is the south of France and there are things we can do BUT the last thing I want when I'm walking the CF is to have to stop.

Should I consider changing boot/shoe at this late stage? Is this a disaster or a blessing? I have researched this so much and really thought I had the blister problem under control. This week was just meant to be a test of my kit as I've done so much walking at home... any thoughts from you seasoned experts?

I feel I should apologise... I turn to the forum whenever things go wrong at the moment... but you always seem to have good advice! :oops:

p.s. I also found his great website for information on blisters... formation, prevention and the science behind them.

Why not use lubrication? Good old vaseline may help, but from your post I get a feeling you don't want to try it ... Vick's Vapour Rub works well, and smells well as well.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Why not use lubrication? Good old vaseline may help, but from your post I get a feeling you don't want to try it ... Vick's Vapour Rub works well, and smells well as well.

Hello... you're the second person who's said Vic... I've ordered some so I'll give it a try. I have used slipstick and vaseline before but found they made my feet very hot and I found it a bit unpleasant... happy to give it another go if it helps.

I've got 2 new pairs of boots to try... Keens and Saloman. I tried to buy New Balance but they dont have a very good selection on the french website... I emailed them and they basically said... nope you dont have a great selection on the website!

I've been to a few Decathalon but never found a great selection. Lots of their own brand... which isn't bad at all but it's not wide enough for me. I'll keep my fingers crossed that one of these two fit!

thanks for the suggestions... all very much appreciated!

Wear wide running shoes. No need for boots. Merrell makes a wide, waterproof low cut if you feel you need a waterproof shoe.

If your shoes ‘breathe’ and are the right fit Les and if your socks are good then your only other option -apart from gels and tape etc.- is to stop and rest more often and air your feet and change your socks each time you stop. That seems to work for me anyway. Nothing worse than walking with blisters. I once walked 100 km in one go (some years ago to raise funds for Oxfam) and 70 of them with blisters all over both my feet. Talk about mind over matter. It was no fun, not at all. So, all other things being equal, REST often and keep your feet DRY is my best advice.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Never too late for a change of shoes. I would urge you to really consider lightweight, wide shoes a bit bigger than your usual size. I know when I was training, I didn't find out until the 16km mark that the wheels would fall off in terms of shoes, socks and blisters. If you have doubts now, let them ring loud in your ears.

With reference to the link you supplied, this podiatrist got me through the Camino in 2018. I bought her ultra blister kit to take with me, as well as a few extra Engo patches and an extra roll of Fixomull tape (as you may note, I am extremely blister prone). I also got some 'body glide' for feet and other areas that chafe. It took up a bit of room in my pack, but it was light and it was my key to completing the Camino my way. I got 3 small blisters that were manageable, and for me, that's a miracle!

If you can, go to a specialised sports footwear store and have them fit you. Lightweight and comfortable out of the box is key. I realise that everyone needs to work out their own shoe system, but I wore Hoka One One Challengers and they were a dream. My husband wore La Sportiva Mutants and had no problems whatsoever. We both wore Injinji toe socks as liners and icebreaker merino socks over the top.

For an alternative view how about this. I wore a pair of Karrimor light weight fabric boots whilst walking the Frances. They had a vibram sole and mentally I had compared them to the old KSB's. However they wore out and fell apart by the end of the walk.
I spent a career wearing army surplus (but brand new) boots - still reading this ? - so my next pair of boots was a pair of Altberg light weight combat boots. Brand new and boxed from ebay at about £50. These were robust, soft leather and flexible sole. They lasted a couple of years and I now have a pair of Haix desert boots. Again cost £55 boxed and brand new from ebay. These boots are "made for walking", are robust and fit for purpose at a fraction of the cost of similar commercially branded ones. Of more relevance is they come in three width fittings S, M and L so will fit all widths of feet. They are "soft" enough to be worn straight out of the box which I have done
My point is that these "surplus" boots exceed the spec of similar walking lightweights but at a fraction of the cost. They are fit for purpose but do not come in fancy colours or have go faster, tech type labels attached. Both Haix and Altberg are highly respected just not as well known as Merril, Berghaus etc.
Worth a thought and seeing what is out there - even in rural France.
Don

Gosh how odd to see this post pop up for me today... 6 years ago I decided to stick with those boots and lived to regret it. I managed to walk to Estella but my blisters were so bad I had to rest a few days and let them heal. I bought some lightweight Salomons and shipped to boots (and my keen sandals) on to Santiago.

The good new was that I did finish and I did get on top of those blisters.. But the boots were relegated to gardening duty.

I discovered Altra Lone Peaks in 2016 and walked the Via de la Plata in those... I keep wearing them but do wish they'd get a grip on their sizing... And also I know now how to manage, prevent or deal with blisters too.

I knew when I wrote this post that those boots were wrong... But hey ho... We live and learn 😊

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.