• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Blisters, latest research

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2018
Prevalence and risk factors associated with the formation of dermal lesions on the foot during hiking.
Chicharro-Luna E et al
J Tissue Viability. 2020 Apr 27

BACKGROUND:
The aim of this study is to assess the prevalence of blisters on the foot during hiking and the factors associated with this condition.

MATERIAL AND METHODS:
A cross-sectional observational comparative study was conducted of 315 patients treated at two hostels, located on the Way of Saint James, in northern Spain. The study participants were interviewed and clinically examined to obtain sociodemographic and clinical variables. The variables recorded concerned the type of terrain covered (asphalt or dirt trails), the weight carried (backpack), the footwear used (weight, type, impermeability), the type of socks worn and the hydration of the skin obtained. The inclusion criteria were at least 18 years and to walk at least 20 km in the last five days.

RESULTS:
74% (n = 233) of the hikers presented a bullous lesion on the foot after completing several stages of hiking. The most frequent locations were the first or second metatarsal head and the fifth toe. Logistic regression showed that risk factors for the appearance of blistering were the number of kilometres walked on asphalt (p = .001 [95% CI (1.019-1.064)]) and having wet socks at the end of the day (p = . 006 [95% CI (1.286-4.479)]). The protective factors identified were walking on a dirt, grass or gravel surface (p < .001 [95% CI (0.982- 0.995)]) and using customised plantar orthoses (p = .001 [95% CI (0.085) - 0.512)]).

CONCLUSIONS:
The type of terrain is a determining factor in the appearance of blisters. Walking on a dirt trail reduces the risk. Using custom made insoles and controlling humidity are other factors that should be considered as preventive measures.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Prevalence and risk factors associated with the formation of dermal lesions on the foot during hiking.
Chicharro-Luna E et al

I think most repeat Pilgrims could have told them that :rolleyes:
My 'Dearly Beloved' is a sight to behold on Camino. :)

She will find the softest part of the track/road if only 5 cms wide! Anything to prevent walking on Asphalt or Concrete. That narrow strip of grass at the edge of the road, or that slight build up of gravel...

3 Caminos, no blisters yet, touch wood.
(Change socks midday, double layer socks, hikers wool and vaseline, stay hydrated)
And avoid any hard surfaces...

It's actually one of the reasons the Portuguese does not appeal to me.
Lots of hard surfaces and cobblestones I hear...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I think most repeat Pilgrims could have told them that :rolleyes:
My 'Dearly Beloved' is a sight to behold on Camino. :)

She will find the softest part of the track/road if only 5 cms wide! Anything to prevent walking on Asphalt or Concrete. That narrow strip of grass at the edge of the road, or that slight build up of gravel...

3 Caminos, no blisters yet, touch wood.
(Change socks midday, double layer socks, hikers wool and vaseline, stay hydrated)
And avoid any hard surfaces...

It's actually one of the reasons the Portuguese does not appeal to me.
Lots of hard surfaces and cobblestones I hear...
I walked the Portuguese camino out of Porto to Santiago. Yes, lots of cobbles and setts, but I had no blisters. Our feet are all different...just like we are. ☺

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Other factors are sock and shoe selection. Size to accommodate the increase in foot volume and breathability to reduce perspiration. Socks type and management factor into this as well.

That being said, I put a lot of effort to avoid blisters while others can wear inexpensive footwear and never get a blister.

Thanks Carole. Very helpful.

I am one of those walkers who is virtually guaranteed to get some kind of blister on a long camino or other walk. I used to just accept it as part of the experience. BUT I have definitely learned to minimise the risk and the pain by spending about 15 minutes each morning on foot treatment before commencing the walk. I use Compeed pads and cream, Fixomull tape, gel toe caps and a weird and wonderful array of products that all contribute to minimising the problem. (I really appreciated the website https://www.blisterprevention.com.au/ for its advice, most of which I follow.)

But I agree with Raggy: I wouldn't mind having a blister or two on the Camino just at the moment! I fear it will be a long time before I'm back on the track.

...I really appreciated the website https://www.blisterprevention.com.au/ for its advice, most of which I follow.)
I agree. Great site. Especially the unequivocal advice on the correct use of Compeed (and similar Hydrocolloid dressings):
Do not use hydrocolloid blister dressings on blisters with an intact or torn roof!

¡Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We are all so different. I have no problem whatsoever walking on asphalt, as that's where I do my training. On the other hand, I'm not really keen about walking on grass, it seems like hard work to me.

I taped my feet and toes every day after my shower with medipore tape, but forgot to trim my toenails, which resulted in a tiny blister on the next toe. That was my only blister. I remember one guy I saw however, sitting in a square with his feet bare and his soles were literally hanging in ribbons. When I sympathised and suggested he would be resting the next day, he roared "No! The goal is 35km! We must achieve the goal". I've often wondered whether he ever did finish the Camino.

I agree. Great site. Especially the unequivocal advice on the correct use of Compeed (and similar Hydrocolloid dressings):

¡Buen Camino!
Right. And Compeed plasters should not be used as a preventative. There are other products that cost less and work better for that, such as tape, moleskin, lubricants like petroleum jelly and Glide, etc.

Got blister under heel walking around lake nearby and despite piercing it with needle & antiseptic it was still filling up, sore and hot - after a week advised by friend to try a poultice of bicarbonate of soda ( I mixed it with neat liquid antiseptic) and surprise! Next morning blister reduced and no pain - anyone else tried this?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Got blister under heel walking around lake nearby and despite piercing it with needle & antiseptic it was still filling up, sore and hot - after a week advised by friend to try a poultice of bicarbonate of soda ( I mixed it with neat liquid antiseptic) and surprise! Next morning blister reduced and no pain - anyone else tried this?
Use this with our horses if they get an abscess in a hoof.

And Compeed plasters should not be used as a preventative.
I visited una farmacia for advice and products and although there was a huge (Compeed made) display of Compeed products the lovely senorita did not even glance at it. She provided dressings and a bottle of antiseptic (some of which I still have, though likely out of date) and even though I carried on walking the blisters healed and I had no more. I had used Compeed prior to that and they seemed to promote both pain and a nasty gunk underneath after a few hours

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I had used Compeed prior to that and they seemed to promote both pain and a nasty gunk underneath after a few hours
I have used compeed several times on hot spots with great results. It stayed on in the shower and after a couple of days all was fine. I never had any blisters, so for me it's been great. I can see where its wonderful adhesion would be a huge negative if used on a full blown blister.

I have used compeed several times on hot spots with great results. It stayed on in the shower and after a couple of days all was fine. I never had any blisters, so for me it's been great. I can see where its wonderful adhesion would be a huge negative if used on a full blown blister.
Chrissy, I had two very problematic blisters (others too but less problematic!). One was a full blown, burst blister which had rubbed away. Yes, very ouch!!. The other was under the hard pad of skin on the side of my foot toward the rear. I don't doubt Compeed works for many, they would not be successful if they did not but not for me at the time

Chicharro-Luna E et al

Parameters needed?

Oversize - 1-1,5 us size more than normal
Weight - light as possible
Dampingfactor - high as possible
Breathing - max ventilation. upper material
Variation - two pairs/custom inner soles
Safety - Nordic walking poles
Protection - silocone toes/ sports tape

Another study then??😂

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Your example is a real world example of how using a needle to relief painful pressure can fail. I am not sure exactly if what you described had a bubble on top of the skin, or if this was a fluid pocket under the skin. I am guessing that if you used a needle, the technique below would work as well.

If a blister still has it's 'roof', it is recommended to leave the 'roof' intact, but to drain the fluid. Needles are not the ideal tool, as the initial puncture can reseal later, allowing fluid to build up again. A disinfected tool (alcohol or flame from a lighter/match) which can create a slit at the base of the blister near the skin of the foot is best --- a pair of tiny scissors to snip a slit; a disposable scalpel blade or a hobby knife blade as part of a first aid kit.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...
Hi my name is Leah and I am starting the Camino Frances on April 10 and will be leaving Australia on April 4. I have just cut my hand and needed stiches which will need to come out when I am in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.