• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Blisters on soles of feet

Val H

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese (2018)
Big blisters on soles of feet , on foot pads. Only 2 days walking! What to do?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hola

There will be many different answers to this question... it could turn out to be like opening a bag of wasps..
Anyhow.
I would puncture the blisters. Clean them. Use water and soap or something more antiseptic if you have it.
Let it breath during the night and tomorrow band aid them during your walk.
Take a shorter etape tomorrow and see how it goes.
Make stops along the way and take of your shoes and let your feet breath.
Change your socks 2-3 times tomorrow during your walk.
Wash your feet tomorrow after your walk and let them breath again.
Rise and repeate until you feel better.

This would be my aproach to it, but I am lucky and seldom have larger blisters.

I hope this helps :)

Buen camino
Lettinggo

Don't burst the blisters, they are there for a reason and help stop infection. Keep feet dry as possible by changing socks twice a day. I find covering any hotspots with vaseline in the morning, this helps protects the feet like a barrier. As you have blisters already, then cover them with a blister plaster. Some can stick very well, so remove with plenty of warm water and keep feet clean and dry after your walk. The blister will hopefully absorb back into the foot and heal, but do realise you might develop more, so use plenty of vaseline before the walks, even put in your shoes, then let your feet breath in the evening as much as possible and now and then along the walk, if they feel unusually hot and moist. I think bursting blisters is a temp pain relief, but can lead to more problems and much more pain. I used a whole pot of vaseline on my camino, and swear by it.

Buen camino

Trevor

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Val, where are you?
If you started in SJPP and are on that end of the camino, PM @David - he's out there taking care of blisters.
And check this out:
The person who made the video is a Podiatrist from Australia who treats a LOT of blisters...

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Val, where are you?
If you started in SJPP and are on that end of the camino, PM @David - he's out there taking care of blisters.
And check this out:
The person who made the video is a Podiatrist from Australia who treats a LOT of blisters...
Hi. Thanks for that. I'm on the Portuguese Camino. What is the tape she is using? I've not seen it before ....

What is the tape she is using? I've not seen it before ...
I don't know, Val, but it looks a lot like Omnifix, which you should be able to get a pharmacy. (At least you can in Spain...but I don't know about Portugal). Don't forget the donut part first....
Compeed - people either love it or hate it. In my experience it's an expensive way to get an infection.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Omnifix and Hypafix tapes are the best! After your blister have healed, but it on your feet every day before you start walking. The tape takes the friction rather than your skin, to prevent blisters.

I don't know, Val, but it looks a lot like Omnifix, which you should be able to get a pharmacy. (At least you can in Spain...but I don't know about Portugal). Don't forget the donut part first....
Compeed - people either love it or hate it. In my experience it's an expensive way to get an infection.
Oh yes I hadn't seen the donut part of this thread. It seemed to be missed out but I see it now.... Maybe I can show it to the pharmacist to explain what I need .... many thanks
Omnifix and Hypafix tapes are the best! After your blister have healed, but it on your feet every day before you start walking. The tape takes the friction rather than your skin, to prevent blisters.
Thank you. I will try and find it in Portugal. Is it like micropore?

Is it like micropore?
It's a light mesh fabric with an adhesive backing.
Here's a description from a website:
"Omnifix Retention Tape is made from a soft, non-woven flexible fabric coated with a non-sensitizing latex-free synthetic adhesive and is ideal for patients with hypersensitive skin and a tendency toward skin allergies "

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Here's what the Omnifix tape/box look like. I prefer the widest that they have because I can cut a strip to fit all the way across the ball of my foot. Since it stretches, it conforms to
the contours of the foot.

omnifix.jpg

It's a light mesh fabric with an adhesive backing.
Here's a description from a website:
"Omnifix Retention Tape is made from a soft, non-woven flexible fabric coated with a non-sensitizing latex-free synthetic adhesive and is ideal for patients with hypersensitive skin and a tendency toward skin allergies "
Thank you

Thank you. I'll try and get some iodine. What is wrong with compeed? I heard it was supposed to be good ....
It wlll enclose all your blister problems, making them worse. Think of a moist spot being encapsulated with closure and bacteria. inside.

What you need is disinfection (Iodine) and air. Compeed will incapsulate all your blister problems. Do not use it.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
What you need is disinfection (Iodine) and air. Compeed will incapsulate all your blister problems. Do not use it.
I disagree!:)

However, Compeed probably will not help for blisters on the bottom of your foot. They are great for other blisters, but you have the worst kind of blister from ill-fitting footwear that allowed the bottom of your foot to slide. You will need to drain the blisters to reduce the pressure and pain, but watch out for infection. That is what the Betadine is for. There is very little that you can do to stop the friction on the bottom of your foot except stop and rest. It might take a week. Otherwise, expect agony in every step. You CAN get blisters under blisters, and with friction on the bottom of your foot, expect it. Sorry, and good luck!:confused:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The only time I have gotten blisters on the bottom of my feet was from thicker looser socks that allowed slippage of my foot. I now wear fairly thin and snug synthetic socks to reduce that problem.

What works for me is the needle and thread technique with lots of alcohol wipes. To prevent infection I clean it daily with alcohol and remove the thread after three days. The blister eventually pops anyway so you need to manage the possibly of infection whether the blister is popped right away or after several days of suffering.

To reduce the initial occurrence of blisters I switch to Chacos when my feet get hot. I simply swap the shoes for Chacos when required. I keep the socks on, keep walking, and immediately my feet cool off. I also find the soles of the Chacos give better support than my trail runner shoes which is a nice change during the day. The only disadvantage of Chacos is that they are the heaviest item in my pack.

I won’t weigh into treatment, but do check your sock and shoe situation. You want to make sure your sock is not rubbing excessively against your foot. That might happen if your foot is moving around too much in the shoe, your shoe has a worn spot inside that doesn’t allow your sock to move freely (this happened to me where the sock got stuck to the shoe and then rubbed against my foot) or if you are wearing a two sock system, something is set up wrong (a fellow pilgrim put in his socks in the wrong order). Also, wet feet or wet socks will do it too.

There may be other reasons too, like a walking gait that is different then what you trained on (steeper, harder surface, uneven surface). If that is the case, walking slower may help- and careful to avoid limping too much, you could end up with new blisters in new places. A shorter day will help prevent that.

Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This won't help you but maybe it will help others.
Did you get blisters in these areas when training?
If no, Whats different now from your training walks? (shoes, socks, distances, weight carried or ??)

Hey, Val, how are the feet? here is something I have lately come to practise: heel, toe, spread out the toes. repeat. no more blisters!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Best advice of all, Alex!

I'd be leaving the roof of the blister intact and making a custom-sized big donut out of felt or molefoam (maybe even a few layers) to take the pressure off. Then covering the lot with something like omnifix to secure it.
Here is more info from the expert:
https://www.blisterprevention.com.au/blister-blog/foot-blister-treatment
and

The donut technique is what they did at the podiatry clinic in Astorga for my son when he had terrible blisters. They also advised against the perennially popular Compeed. They drained the blisters while leaving the roof intact and rinsed them with Betadine. Then they made the donut to take the pressure off (for the largest blister) and taped it all up.

Thank you. I'll try and get some iodine. What is wrong with compeed? I heard it was supposed to be good ....
What the folks at the podiatry clinic in Astorga said was that Compeed is like the reverse of the donut cushion they were making. It puts extra pressure on the blister instead of reducing pressure.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Please do not pop blisters unless you are a professional in an office. Unless you have a blow torch you can’t sterilize a needle properly. The taping method shown is the best prevention but before the blisters form. Speedy recovery.

This won't help you but maybe it will help others.
Did you get blisters in these areas when training?
If no, Whats different now from your training walks? (shoes, socks, distances, weight carried or ??)
No blisters when training. Now Distances are longer and walking everyday! Before this my shoes seemed perfect!

What the folks at the podiatry clinic in Astorga said was that Compeed is like the reverse of the donut cushion they were making. It puts extra pressure on the blister instead of reducing pressure.
That makes sense. I 've bought iodine and tape but can't find the felt stuff ....

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
That makes sense. I 've bought tape and iodine but can't find the felt stuff to make donut ....

Hi Val, it's now almost a day since you posted. More than likely if you walked today, your blisters have popped. Hopefully, you have not gotten more. I will assume you know how to care for a wound by now. I will not throw more advice at you about blister care but I would suggest to you that you get what you need to care for them today as farmacies are usually closed on Sunday. Also, consider Dr Scholl's gel inserts (full length of your shoe to reach the toes which may improve the fit of your shoes until you have a chance to change them. They cost about 20euro for a pair. Available at most farmacies and some large dept stores (if you're in a big city), maybe at hiking stores, too. Most of what needs to be done now and for a while to come, you will have to do so allot extra time to foot care every evening and morning. Don't power through the pain, there are no extra points for suffering. Stop when you need to address hot spots, etc. Watch for infection which may show up as worsening pain, foul odor or white pus draining from wound, red streaks up leg, swelling, nausea, fever, weakness. Ask a farmacist for help and if they think you need a doctor, they will say so. If you don't get the help you need, keep asking. Best of luck.

No blisters when training. Now Distances are longer and walking everyday! Before this my shoes seemed perfect!
That's why I recommend walking about 10 miles daily for at least 3 consecutive days in the footwear that you choose so that you know how well your feet hold up, and to determine where you may develop hotspots.
If you have brought some walking sandals with you, I suggest that you start wearing them.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you have brought some walking sandals with you, I suggest that you start wearing them.
That can be successful for toe and heel blisters, but the blisters on the sole are from the foot sliding. I am not sure sandals will solve that problem, and might make it worse. The foot needs to be immobilized from sliding.:)

Hi Val, it's now almost a day since you posted. More than likely if you walked today, your blisters have popped. Hopefully, you have not gotten more. I will assume you know how to care for a wound by now. I will not throw more advice at you about blister care but I would suggest to you that you get what you need to care for them today as farmacies are usually closed on Sunday. Also, consider Dr Scholl's gel inserts (full length of your shoe to reach the toes which may improve the fit of your shoes until you have a chance to change them. They cost about 20euro for a pair. Available at most farmacies and some large dept stores (if you're in a big city), maybe at hiking stores, too. Most of what needs to be done now and for a while to come, you will have to do so allot extra time to foot care every evening and morning. Don't power through the pain, there are no extra points for suffering. Stop when you need to address hot spots, etc. Watch for infection which may show up as worsening pain, foul odor or white pus draining from wound, red streaks up leg, swelling, nausea, fever, weakness. Ask a farmacist for help and if they think you need a doctor, they will say so. If you don't get the help you need, keep asking. Best of luck.
Thanks .... using iodine with the tape. Will see if pharmacies are open now. I forgot it was Sunday tomorrow. Thank you for your caring messages

If you can find moleskin or molefoam (the latter is better because it's thicker), layers of that will do in a pinch for the donuts. Fellow pilgrims may have it, especially the ones from the US.
Good luck, Val! Thanks for letting us know ho you're doing.

€46,-
Thanks ... ... sorry for my short replies. Struggling with my phone as well! Not good at internet stuff ! I seem to be too late for pharmacies and too tired to search

Thanks ... ... sorry for my short replies. Struggling with my phone as well! Not good at internet stuff ! I seem to be too late for pharmacies and too tired to search
Hey Val, seriously, ask other peregrinos for help if you need it. You will be amazed at how many people want to help and how much 'stuff' people are carrying 'just in case'. You're the just in case they are waiting for. Let them help you. Rest well tonight. No need to reply - we all understand about internet on the caminos ;)

Big blisters after only 2 days... try to find the reason for the blisters.
Maybe the shoes are not fitting?
Are the shoes too big (feet are sliding; maybe different lacing technique can help?)?
Are the shoes too small or too narrow (maybe not at the beginning, but after a few hours of walking and swelling of the feet)?
If so... buy new well-fitting shoes (lighter shoes are better; shoes have to fit in the morning... but after swelling during the hours of walking as well).

Try the above tipps for taping and the donut tipp.
Or one of these tips to reduce friction (vaseline / taping / other socks / engo blister patches ) :
https://www.blisterprevention.com.au/fast-blister-healing

When to pop a blister (and how)?
[in short: pop it, if it would tear anyway ... otherwise it depends on the blister and on the situation ]
https://www.blisterprevention.com.au/blister-blog/should-you-pop-a-blister-on-your-foot

General tipps: light backpack (rule of thumb: not more than 10% of your weight; or backpack transport as long as you have problems with your feet? ) / poles? / shorter days? / more breaks? / rest day(s)?.

Do not give up!
Ask for help ( experienced pilgrims / hospitaleras / doctors / ...).
I know several pilgrims from my first camino who had severe blister problems and came to Santiago and said at the end... I had a great camino. One pilgrim had large blisters (in his case because of too small shoes)... the feet got even infected (he tried to go 'through' the pain for days)... he bought new shoes after several days of rest... and did plan his next camino when he arrived in Santiago.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Big blisters after only 2 days... try to find the reason for the blisters.
Maybe the shoes are not fitting?
Are the shoes too big (feet are sliding; maybe different lacing technique can help?)?
Are the shoes too small or too narrow (maybe not at the beginning, but after a few hours of walking and swelling of the feet)?
If so... buy new well-fitting shoes (lighter shoes are better; shoes have to fit in the morning... but after swelling during the hours of walking as well).

Try the above tipps for taping and the donut tipp.
Or one of these tips to reduce friction (vaseline / taping / other socks / engo blister patches ) :
https://www.blisterprevention.com.au/fast-blister-healing

When to pop a blister (and how)?
[in short: pop it, if it would tear anyway ... otherwise it depends on the blister and on the situation ]
https://www.blisterprevention.com.au/blister-blog/should-you-pop-a-blister-on-your-foot

General tipps: light backpack (rule of thumb: not more than 10% of your weight; or backpack transport as long as you have problems with your feet? ) / poles? / shorter days? / more breaks? / rest day(s)?.

Do not give up!
Ask for help ( experienced pilgrims / hospitaleras / doctors / ...).
I know several pilgrims from my first camino who had severe blister problems and came to Santiago and said at the end... I had a great camino. One pilgrim had large blisters (in his case because of too small shoes)... the feet got even infected (he tried to go 'through' the pain for days)... he bought new shoes after several days of rest... and did plan his next camino when he arrived in Santiago.

Buen Camino!
Thank you

Most read last week in this forum

I'm about a 6 weeks away from beginning the French Camino. Depending on how I feel when I get to St. Jean, I will either take a train back to Portugal, or continue on to Santiago. In the...
Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.