• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Blisters pre- walking

Findjoy

Time of past OR future Camino
Way of St James (2018)
I have developed two blisters on my big toe while walking and training for the Camino.
When I walk the blisters fill with fluid which dissipates in between walks. The pharmacist said not to prick or open the blister because of risk of infection. Any wise advice from the forum. Leaving in 7 1/2 weeks. Joy.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have developed two blisters on my big toe while walking and training for the Camino.
When I walk the blisters fill with fluid which dissipates in between walks. The pharmacist said not to prick or open the blister because of risk of infection. Any wise advice from the forum. Leaving in 7 1/2 weeks. Joy.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ces-for-blister-prevention.51755/#post-568589

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...lister-prevention-and-care.51745/#post-568984

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/do-they-fit-tick-list.50963/#post-557662

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/yes-another-blister-question.48537/#post-522774

Not good...maybe you have the wrong size shoes...I used two pairs of socks and Vaseline and never had a blister...I did have several hard spots of calloused skin that caused pain but no blisters.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Been there, done that. When it happened to me it was because I had the wrong shoes. This is a fraught topic on this website and so I hesitate about what to say next but for me what eventually worked was trail runners with a wide toe box and narrow heel. They don’t work for everyone.
Whatever, believe me, when I tell you that if you have doubts about your shoes or if they are causing little niggly problems before you leave home then they are probably the wrong shoes.
If the worse happens you can always buy walking sandals at various shops along the CF assuming that is the camino you plan to walk. :D
Buen camino, peregrina.

I agree with the above about possibly the wrong shoes or possibly socks. If you feel the shoes are still right for you then taste up the spots where you get the blisters, the tape will do the rubbing not the skin.
Another thing you might want to think about is the socks, I normally wear a size 10 ½ in shoes with my walking shoes being size 11, I have found over the years that I need to wear different thickness socks, this on the left and thick on the right, since doing this I've not had any blisters in over 700 miles of walking.
Now I've said that I'll get one on my walk tomorrow.

Just remember that footwear is the most important thing, gert that wrong and your journey could well be over before it starts.

Buen Camino

Cover any hot spot with vaseline and bandaids.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Try wearing 3 pairs of socks of varying thickness with the thinnest nearest the skin and thickest outside. The middle layer will take the friction. Also when putting on your socks and shoes make sure every layer is smoothed out, no wrinkles. We have had no blisters in 9 years of pre-Camino walking and several Caminos since we started to do all this.
If you cannot wear at least 2 layers of socks then you may need a size larger shoe/boot or a wider fit.
Still time to get it sorted and for the blisters you already have to heal.

Different socks perhaps?
Also as said, coat your toes with Vaseline. Seemed to always help me.
The tips and edges of a couple of toes seemed to be the only place I blistered, small ones, while walking the Camino. They calloused up in short time and there were no further problems.

US doctor has probably never seen a blister

I’d say get the fluid out. Dry them in the sun if you can. Let the air at them. They old timers say soaking you feet in cold tea toughens your feet. It’s the tannin. I think in Europe you can buy tannin cream. NOK anti chafing cream is good. Also from French pharmacies. Use Compeed but range is limited in US.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Everyone is different. For me:
Trail runners a half size larger with snug heel and roomy toe box.
One pair of good fitting Darn Tough socks (they come in sizes).
I use a small piece of tape on hot spots and Bandaid Blister pads if one develops which is rare.
I never use goo and don't pop blisters. Seem to go away much faster when you leave them alone.
Works for me.

Sorry about this, but, most likely the wrong footwear. Where are the blisters? at the end? on the outside? inside? underneath? Both feet or just one? If just one, is that the foot that is the bigger/longer one?

When you Camino for a few days your feet will swell so if your footwear isn't the right size now then you will definitely have problems out there, but you are on it, I can see - hope you sort it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I won't try to offer any specific advice, as the causes/combinations of courses can be many. You don't mention what kind of footwear you are using, so just remember that specifically leather footwear may require rather long usage before being "broken in". I walked around 300 km in my leather boots before they began to feel really comfortable, and after that -never a blister.

So sorry you're having problems. Regarding the blisters, I personally would probably prick them with a sterilised needle rather than allow them to burst. When this happens and it will, you will have an open wound which will get infected far more easily than a small needle hole, and it will hurt more. Put some oxide tape on any hot spots and if you get the blisters in the same place each time try putting the tape on at the start of the day. I do hope someone's advice helps. Buen Camino!

I wouldn't pop the blisters. Prevention depends on where the blisters are and what is causing them. The goal is to stop blisters from forming, if at all possible.
Is the next toe nail not cut short enough?
On the bottom, a piece of mole skin with a donut hole for the area may work.
On the side, next to the shoe, probably a too snug toe box in the shoe.
Do you get blisters if you walk just a couple of miles, or does it take 7 to 10 miles?

Too many variables for a catch all answer.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I am starting the Route Frances on May 20 and looking at weather to pick my clothes but also figured I should factor the bug situation into the equation since I don't want to weigh down my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.