• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Blisters while training?

BamaVol

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning our first for May (2016)
After one false start and a cold that kept me home last weekend, we took a serious walk yesterday. I wore Hi-Tec hiking boots that I've owned for several years and consider broken in. I have walked as far as 8-14 miles up and down mountains in them and never experienced a blister. I wore 2 pairs of socks, thick wool over thin synthetic. Yesterday's training walk was 7 flat miles. We stopped several times to rest. On the last stop, after about 6 miles, I felt a hot spot at my left heel. I did not have anything with me to treat it so toughed it out. This morning I have a blister low on the heel. It's not painful but will limit what walking I do for a few days.

I think my biggest mistake was not tightening the boots at the first stop. My other mistake was inner socks that were nylon dress socks, not smooth hikers, lazy me. I was also unprepared for a blister. Next weekend, I will wear proper socks and try my other, newer, lighter Merrell hikers. I will also pack a few band-aids and maybe a roll of tape.

Any more advice on treatment or preparation? I need to establish the right routine now. I do not want my first day on the camino to go like this.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
First of all your boots maybe "too" broken in, it might be time to consider a new pair to break-in. Silk liners, not nylon on a thin layer of Vaseline or similar product, followed by a well fitted pair of Merino wool socks and for long distances new inner soles like Dr. Scholl's.

I remember being so happy when I got a blister while training: it gave me a chance to try out my blister remedy ideas! I had plenty of blister prevention ideas that had been keeping me blister free for months. May I suggest you use this opportunity to see what you might do to deal with a blister other than limiting your walking, which may not be a good option for you when you are on the Camino? I had good success using a hydrocolloid bandage. Some brands are 2nd skin (my favorite because it is so thin), Band-Aid, and of course, Compeed. I carried little alcohol pads (the type people use to prep skin for injections, available very cheaply in most drug stores/pharmacies) and prepped my skin with those to ensure good adhesion. However, I strongly suggest you try them now if you are considering them because some people really hate them!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
First of all your boots maybe "too" broken in, it might be time to consider a new pair to break-in. Silk liners, not nylon on a thin layer of Vaseline or similar product, followed by a well fitted pair of Merino wool socks and for long distances new inner soles like Dr. Scholl's.

I agree that I had the wrong liner socks. I was just too lazy to change into the right ones. I certainly plan to reoutfit my hiking socks, maybe even trying sonething new and different. I think the suggestion of new inner soles is a good one. I have never been 100% happy with the oem inner soles and have wanted something a little foamier. I'm not ready to retire these boots yet, but do have a second, lighter pair I will switch to for the next outing.

I remember being so happy when I got a blister while training: it gave me a chance to try out my blister remedy ideas! I had plenty of blister prevention ideas that had been keeping me blister free for months. May I suggest you use this opportunity to see what you might do to deal with a blister other than limiting your walking, which may not be a good option for you when you are on the Camino? I had good success using a hydrocolloid bandage. Some brands are 2nd skin (my favorite because it is so thin), Band-Aid, and of course, Compeed. I carried little alcohol pads (the type people use to prep skin for injections, available very cheaply in most drug stores/pharmacies) and prepped my skin with those to ensure good adhesion. However, I strongly suggest you try them now if you are considering them because some people really hate them!

What a brilliant attitude! My order of Compeed arrived after I got home Saturday. I will be prepared next weekend with a number of remedies and hopefully find the one that works best while there's still time to experiment. I still have 15 months to make mistakes.

"I still have 15 months to make mistakes" That's the spirit! In these 15 months - walk a lot, get some blisters, find out the best prevention / treatment method for you and then you will have a Buen Camino! SY

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Did your feet get wet on that walk? Because moisture can lead to blisters too.
Margaret

Some advice my uncle gave me (he is an avid AT hiker). Take your shoes/boots AND socks off every 2-3 hours. Even if you just put them right back on. This will get rid of any "wrinkles" in your socks that may cause blisters. I tried his advice on my Camino 2 years ago. One day, I was talking with a new friend and lost track of time. Walked about 6 hours before removing my shoes/socks. That is the only day I got a blister in 800 km :)

Did your feet get wet on that walk? Because moisture can lead to blisters too.
Margaret

Actually I chose those boots Saturday because they are waterproof. The area we walk is a partially reclaimed wetland. After a good rain, there is a lot of mud and many deep puddles. Fortunately there are boardwalks over the real swampy parts. We keep our eyes open for bear and gators; hazards we don't expect to encounter in Spain. So, my feet remained dry the entire walk. But, I will keep that in mind next weekend when I switch to my non-waterproof boots.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
And just another thought.
You mention a blister low on your heel.
I sometimes get that when the skin on my heel is too thick. I have to frequently scrape them down to prevent little but painful blisters from occuring.

If this is the case. I would NOT recommend scraping the heel while the blister is still there.

My feet are pretty soft. I am going to alternate shod wilderness walks with barefoot walks on the beach in hopes the sand will toughen them up some.

Some advice my uncle gave me (he is an avid AT hiker). Take your shoes/boots AND socks off every 2-3 hours. Even if you just put them right back on. This will get rid of any "wrinkles" in your socks that may cause blisters. I tried his advice on my Camino 2 years ago. One day, I was talking with a new friend and lost track of time. Walked about 6 hours before removing my shoes/socks. That is the only day I got a blister in 800 km :)

We covered 7 miles in right around 2 hours (the advantages of flat ground). My hot spot showed up right around the 1:45 mark. I feel like I can blame:

1. wrong liner socks and unlubricated feet (although I've hiked a lot and never done the vaseline thing before).
2. failure to tighten laces after the first few minutes. It is odd, though, that the blister showed up on the larger of my two feet.

Shame on me for being unprepared with a first aid kit. This was only our second training walk. I'm learning. There are benches here and there along the 26 miles of trails in the park. I plan to take advantage of more of them next weekend, probably removing boots and checking my feet at each one. My wife thinks she has a lace hook (anyone seen these?) from her days of figure skating back in the 60's. You use it to tighten long laces, row by row.

The blister has not popped and hasn't hurt since I got home and took off the boots. I will cover it with a bandaid next weekend no matter what.

I need to do some shopping: replacement insoles, new inner and outer socks, foot lubricant, possible replacement boots but that will have to wait until I have time for an out of town trip. I'm not going to find what I want boot-wise at Dicks or Sports Authority. We had a couple decent places back in East Tennessee; Nantahala Outdoor Center and Mast General Store with staff that know what they're doing and a good selection of quality boots. It may have to wait for a visit back home -a good excuse to go visit my youngest son.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I know it's a bit of a haul, but there's an REI in Jax, if you ever get over that way.

Actually I'll be there in a week's time. Corporate HQ is there, best avoided under most circumstances, but a welcome trip this time around.

I agree that your boots may have been too broken in. Vaseline wouldn't help my feet, I needed to keep them drier. Sock liners, and the right socks. You have lots of experience and enough time. I think you are doing all the right things. Enjoy!!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back