• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How can I avoid blisters!!!???

There have been many posts here re lubricants and what one to use depending on where you live. START NOW...vaseline or in Ireland e45, aqueos cream, NOT a dear special foot cream (brand name) every night, when you can , massage it in, and bring tube, small tub with you, every night, every am (before socks) cover feet. Also a smartwool sock kept me blister free 2nd camino, 1000 mile have a techie/nylonie? layer which didn't suit me 1st camino.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Trish from "Girls on the Way" mentioned using something called Hikegoo for her daughter's feet. I ordered some and it is wonderful! Slather on, gently put on sock liners and then good socks, and I'm good for my 10-12 mile training hikes in all sorts of terrain. I, too, am bothered by blistering between big toe and the next, also the outside of the little toe, and hotspots on the sides and heel. With the Hikegoo, no irritation at all. Now, if I can only get them to ship to two or three of my stops during my mid-April to early June walk. Taking enough would be far too much weight but it could be prohibitively expensive to ship from the States.

Karin

This is what works for me - light soft walking shoes with good socks. Hiking boots just kill my feet! Walked from Leon to Santiago without one blister!
Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I consider myself one of the fortunate ones in that I had no blisters at all. Probably part of the reason was that I averaged about 22 kms per day. However, I also had great boots.....Salomon's made of gortex and they are quite light. I found the boots good on the places where the rocks were sharp; another person I walked with had hiking shoes and could feel all the stones but I didn't feel a thing. I had my orthotics, of course.....I'm over 50.....but I do believe that the Nok creme was a footsaver. I got it from Mountain Equipment Co-op (Canada) and it can be ordered on line. I put the creme on each morning; also put on pieces of a Dr. Scholls product whose name escapes me at the moment but its like moleskin and you can wash it, leave it to dry and stick it on your foot the next day! Just put it over any sensitive spots and none ever developed into a blister. I wore Smartwool socks and, most importantly, changed them half way through the day. One pair was thick; two pairs thinner but that didn't seem to matter. Two pairs to wash at end of day but worth it. Finally, I used little silicone sleeves on both my little toes (from drugstore) to keep them separated from the next toe and that made the world of difference. Feet, socks, boots....all so personal. Find what works and stick with it.

grace

Hi juju,

I have walked the camino last June completely blister free, not sure if my advice will work for you but it is worth a try (some people will disagree with what I say but each to their own)

1) shoes - I started with very light hiking boots but they were too hot for sapin so I bought some very light trail runners, no goretex and lots of mesh so the feet can breath, its also no problem if they get wet as they dry very quickly, size is very important, NOTHING!!!! should touch your toes on any side... my shoes ended up 1.5 sizes bigger than usual

2) socks - I had bridgdale light hiking socks with about 20% wool, no double socking or anything the wool will keep your feet warm/cool whether its hot, cold or wet, more socks means more heat, your feet will swell even more and that means more blisters ( i started with double socking etc as I do it at home in Ireland but found it doesn't work in the spanish climate )

3) footcare - I used a anti-blister stick every day for prevention (compeed makes one) it reduces friction and is less sticky and messy than vaseline also make sure your toenails are short but not so much that they might grow in

4) take it easy - while you might have the stamina to walk 50km every day I wouldn't reccomend it, start slowely with about 20km every day so your feet can get used to daily walking and can build up stamina too, it might be helpfull to walk barefoot at home it helps to build up calluses (on a side note: the camino is no race you won't have time to really enjoy your walk if you just race from place to place)

5) if your do get blisters after all - the needle and threat treatment seems to work the best :)

Hope you enjoy your time and the excitement of preperation (although I went without any previous training and was just fine)

A

Hi Zilla . They don't seem to sell hikegoo in the UK and Im having trouble finding a company that will send it here. I will keep trying unless somebody out there knows differant ?

I have done a fair amount of bush walking over various conditions. I have previously worn two socks (the thin liner sock and the thicker normal sock). However with age my toes have done a bit of movement towards the one next to it so I invested in a pair of the new "toe socks" - these socks have individual "fingers" (like gloves) and after getting used to them (three days of 10km or more) and I no longer get toes rubbing together. So no blisters on toes. The other treatment is to apply liner tape (used by footballers, basketball players who regularly tape their feet and ankles) - it stops blister/hot spots from occurring. But I would also recommend toughening your feet - going barefoot etc and doing as much preparation as possible. Good luck :lol:

Injinji is one brand of toe socks--available in the U.S., I don't know about elsewhere. The socks come in various weights and I have found them great at keeping blisters away. I wear the lightest ones when it is warm and I wear my liner socks over them--gives me two layers everywhere. http://www.injinji.com
Susan "backpack45" Alcorn

Your shoes are probably too tight in the toes.
You can buy gel toe tubes and cut them to size.
My little toe on my right foot goes under the toe next to it and always gets a blister unless I wrap it in a gel tube.
The other thing that someone showed me last camino is wrapping lambswool around and between the toes.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I swear by toe socks, they're so comfy! The main thing I love about them is that they keep my toes separated since they bunch due to my arthritis. Not to mention they come in many stripey colours :D The last hike I went on I chose to try it without them and regretted that decisions by the third day. Even barefoot my toes bunch up and rub so I usually wear them around the house, too.

Strangely enough, to buy Injinji brand socks here (Australia) costs about triple what it does to order them myself from America (http://www.sockdreams.com)

I had not a single blister on my first and second Camino, plenty on my third and since then sometimes yes and sometimes no. The difference is the weather. I get blisters when my feet get wet or sweat. On the first and second Camino the weather was cold, and on the third it was June/July and very hot. If I do get a blister I use the needle and thread technique. It does work. It's obviously critical to have comfortable shoes that breathe and socks that don't rub or hold moisture next to your skin.
I'd try socks and sandals if blisters are your bette noir.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The most frequently asked question about the Camino. I wore 1000-Mile socks and didn't get a single blister. It may be luck or it may be technology. Either way, I am a 1000-mile sock fan for life. One thing I would do next time is take a laundry sack (the ones that have a zip) to negate the chances of losing a sock at the albergues where the hospitaleris, bless their souls, do the laundry!

Even though I have never had problems with blisters on any of my local hikes, I thought I would try 1000 mile socks based on the reviews I've read. They don't work for me. The first day wearing them I got a terrible blister. As far as I'm concerned, Dahlgren alpaca socks are the ticket. Lesson learned. Try everything at home first and then pray for the best.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A common problem is that almost everybody's feet are not the same size. My boot fitting was great for my left foot. My right smaller foot was torn up. I would probably buy two different size boots the next time. Mainly stick to your walking schedule. The schedules in most books stop you short enough for your feet to recover. But when we feel good we just try to go to the next town. (make up a good reason here). I hadn't heard till day 4 that I should rub my feet in Vaseline every morning. Then when you take a break take your boots off and your socks. You might change your socks but at least let your feet get air. By midday put Vaseline on your feet again. One person i walked with had this pack of needles and thread threaded in a small case. When he got blisters he would sew the blister. Push the needle through the blister, tie a knot on the end and then cut the thread at the needle end and tie that. It keeps the holes from resealing and keeps the fluid draining out. It is safe to walk with. Doesn't cause another blister. Last but not least, examen your feet. If you have high arches then you may need to get a leather insole that has high arches and put that on top of the insoles already there. I had to rebuild my insoles after the first 100 km. The trail and my weight were too hard on my insoles. I wished I had carried extra. The Swiss Mountain climber in the outdoor store in Astorga saved my feet by rebuilding my insoles. If you feel something in your boot, stop now even though you may be walking and talking with someone you don't want to stop and interrupt. listen to your feet at all times. One more thing. Municiple Albergues are required to have a first aid kit and someone that knows how to use it. So ask at night if they have epson salts to soak your feet in. That's about it. Buen Camino

hi all, i just wondered if there is any way to walk the camino and NOT GET BLISTERS.

i have just completed a 50km walk on friday as a fundraiser in australia and i am covered in blisters. I had the stamina for the walk but the blisters, especially around the outside of the heals were really painful and hindered my enjoyment. i just wonder how i will cope with such a long walk as the Camino.

i have booked to start in sj in September and feel a bit daunted by this.

i would love to hear from anyone who did the walk and did not get blisters.

ps, i am already double socking AND AM ON MY 5TH PAIR OF BOOTS!!

juju

Hello Juju,

I have had similar problems with the heel blisters with my boots. After spending some more ridiculous money on a pair of boots I decided I needed to learn to tie them properly.

This video (I hope I copied it right) will show everyone that has problems with heel blisters, toe blisters, or even of the boot is too tight on the tops of your feet. It is awesome.

Please let me know if it didn't work.

Lynne

I think most people will get blisters if they walk 50km, whatever precautions they take. Your days on the Camino won't need to be anywhere near as long as that.
Margaret

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Keeping your feet dry is a big step. I had a conversation yesterday with a veteran hiker and said that it is a lot easier to prevent a blister then to cure one. Try changing out your socks or airing out your feet halfway through your hike/walk. Then you may or may not want to use the various types of foot creams, tapes, or powders that work for your.

I really hope you find your magic cure, :p, for your Camino.

Lynne

Blisters aren't inevitable. I've walked thousands of miles without getting blisters. The key is working out the details of your foot care prior to your trip. Everyone's needs are a little different but here are some tips:

- buy shoes or boots larger and wider than your regular shoe size; hiking is about comfort, not vanity
- put 20+ miles on new shoes before your trip
- use sock liners
- use spray deodorant on your feet
- stop and treat hot spots before they become blisters

Have you ever seen what ballet dancers put on their feet? They're the only people harder on their feet than long distance hikers. They use an impressive array of tape, wraps, gel padding, cotton, moleskin, etc. They do all that because without functioning feet they can't dance, just as without functioning feet you can't hike. You need to be willing to go as far as they do with foot care and prevention.

Start by buying boots that fit the shape of your foot, instead of finding ways to make boots that don't fit bearable. I've never had one blister and use simply one pair of thin polyester sports socks.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'll go along with that,buy walking boots that FIT,not half baked hybrids neither,might be O.K for sunday strolls,not for some of the walking tracks in France.I saw so many people at night in terrible pain because of the wrong footwear.Don't compromise on price,If they fit ,buy them. The right footwear is the most important item in your gear,wrong footwear & you cant walk,simple as that..........Vicrev

Wear your boots/socks in before you go
Take boots and socks off every two hours or so - this is SO satisfying! Especially if there's icy water to plunge them in - they don't swell as much then.
Use animal wool if you get any rubbing/pressure. Basically this is sheep's wool - I just pocket some when I see it stuck on fences etc on the moors. But you can buy it as Animal Wool in chemists. It is lanolin rich and just stops any rubbing in its tracks. Just stuff a piece inside your sock or boot.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The only thing is will add to this already extended thread comes from a very close friend of mine who has walked the alps all his life (70+) and served in the Swiss army! It has been unfailing for all my training walks.

1. Keep your feet dry.
2. Wear one pair of socks - my favorite are Dahlgren with alpaca.
3. NEVER take off your boots until the day is done.
4. Wash your feet with water as cold as you can stand it when you arrive.

Buen camino

So many thoughts, so much well-meaning advice, so much experiential guidance, so many suggestions and so much motivation to help.

All in one thread on one topic.

You lovely people!

So many of you all willing to share, help and advise.

I love this forum.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The only thing is will add to this already extended thread comes from a very close friend of mine who has walked the alps all his life (70+) and served in the Swiss army! It has been unfailing for all my training walks.

1. Keep your feet dry.

Buen camino

;) Well, I'm "only" 43 and mountaineering (with 5 years of free climbing when much younger) in Slovenian Alps from age 5. And I would only second 1s and 4th advice. Also advice 1 and 3 are in opposition I think. I always wear one pair of very thin socks and one pair of thicker socks. Both 100% cotton. And I always take off my boots after 2-3 hours of walking. Same in the Alps and on the Camino. NEVER had a blister in my entire life :cool:

But what I really wanted to say is that we are (not to speak of our feet...) sooo much different that there simply could not be universal answer to the problem. I would just say that prior to such a hike like CF you better be sure what you're wearing and how prepared you are. Because it could be a lot of suffering if you just liked the movie The Way, put your office chair aside and go to Spain :(

Or as someone said: "El dolor es inevitable, pero el sufrimiento es opcional" (The pain is inevitable, but the suffering is optional).

Ultreia!

I know this is weird but...I knit and so I took some of my wool and am now fluffing it up for my walk until I find a fluffy fence! I bought Keen's boots because they were wide width/good arches more than others I tried. Boy they feel great...for now. Here's to hoping! Thanks to all the help...can't wait to get on the Journey! Cindi

;) Well, I'm "only" 43 and mountaineering (with 5 years of free climbing when much younger) in Slovenian Alps from age 5. And I would only second 1s and 4th advice. Also advice 1 and 3 are in opposition I think. I always wear one pair of very thin socks and one pair of thicker socks. Both 100% cotton. And I always take off my boots after 2-3 hours of walking. Same in the Alps and on the Camino. NEVER had a blister in my entire life :cool:

But what I really wanted to say is that we are (not to speak of our feet...) sooo much different that there simply could not be universal answer to the problem. I would just say that prior to such a hike like CF you better be sure what you're wearing and how prepared you are. Because it could be a lot of suffering if you just liked the movie The Way, put your office chair aside and go to Spain :(

Or as someone said: "El dolor es inevitable, pero el sufrimiento es opcional" (The pain is inevitable, but the suffering is optional).

Ultreia!

Thanks for the advice....... I have never been totally prepared for most of the various life changing experiences I have had in the past 8 years ...... BUT I ventured forth into the unknown regardless..... it was always difficult, invigorating, empowering, wonderful :) AND I always came home with a new awareness of myself ............Danger is real- Fear is a choice :)

Buen Camino - whatever the "Camino" is for you
Annie

€149,-
brilliant information here... thanks heaps!,,,, but it does seem like what works for one might not work for another so I guess it is trial and error using the remedies others have used.....time to start preperation to toughen up the old feet!

Personally these days I only get blisters if I do something stupid. If I let my ego control things.

If your boots/shoes feel lose/tight stop and fix the laces.

If your socks have slipped stop and fix them.

If your feet are starting to feel sore stop.

I did walk 900k in 56 days with zero blisters. WHY? Good socks and shoes. I wore MBT's , walking sticks were very important also, takes weight off your feet. My boots were waterproof. When I had to walk through streams over the boot line and my feet did get wet, I dried them immediately and put dry socks on...it worked for me! I never needed cream or double socks but did have it with me.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

1. Keep your feet dry.

Buen camino
I go with wash in cold water, I always use basin and add as much ice as I have to cold water, and don't take off boots till end od day, worked for me, oh I do wash basin after me so fine your veggie wash later

flyswatty asked "Would it be advisable to have a pedicure a month before so as to avoid starting with big calluses.?"
I've walked about 3500km on different caminos and so far have never had a blister. I prefer to have 'soft' feet with no calluses. If you do have a pedicure make sure they don't take so much off that your feet are sore - that's too soft. And just as another pov..I cannot wear any type of synthetic sock I've discovered. On my first camino I tried but my feet were hot and uncomfortable and sore until I changed to a fine cotton in Burgos. So for me it's cotton, wool or silk(plain silk wear out too fast) or some combination. I put a foot cream with lavender and arnica in it on my feet at least twice a day (I like L'Occitane foot cream) and when it's hot I change my socks mid day and put the ones I took off in the sun on my backpack.
This year on a 1200+ km walk I had gortex boots that were a half size larger than usual. I came back with calluses all along the bottoms and sides of my feet which were a bit sore for awhile. As well as not liking synthetic socks, my feet don't like gortex. I've always used leather until this year and will definitely not walk another camino with gortex boots. I also either wear a leather insole (very important for me and change for pavement walking to an extra foam insole.)
There - just what you needed another opinion:) I definitely agree with others - there's no one-size-fits- all formula. Try some options before you leave if you can and see what feels the most comfortable. I definitely baby my feet on these trips and try to give them whatever they want since I'm asking a lot from them. Buen camino - may your feet feel heavenly.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
About to start my 4th Camino.
What works for me is briefly soaking my feet in Isopropel alcohol 2x daily,starting one month prior. Only one blister so far....wrinkled sock!
Buen Camino

Hi! My husband and I walked the Camino Frnacés last May and neither one of us had a single blister. We made sure our hiking shoes fit properly ( a full extra size), and used sock liners under our smartwool socks. When I took off my shoes on arrival, the outer socks were always damp, but my feet were dry! Dry feet, no blisters. Good luck and buen camino!

Hi! My husband and I walked the Camino Frnacés last May and neither one of us had a single blister. We made sure our hiking shoes fit properly ( a full extra size), and used sock liners under our smartwool socks. When I took off my shoes on arrival, the outer socks were always damp, but my feet were dry! Dry feet, no blisters. Good luck and buen camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
hi all, i just wondered if there is any way to walk the camino and NOT GET BLISTERS.

i have just completed a 50km walk on friday as a fundraiser in australia and i am covered in blisters. I had the stamina for the walk but the blisters, especially around the outside of the heals were really painful and hindered my enjoyment. i just wonder how i will cope with such a long walk as the Camino.

juju

Hi

My friend and I have walked the Camino 130km each for the last two years and we have been fortunate not to have to deal with blisters. We're avid hikers/backpackers and even though the Camino is more of a long walk and does not require heavy boots. We opted to continue to use our leather Asolo backpacking boots. Sure they are overkill, weighting 4lbs for the pair. But combined with double wool socks we have been fortunate not to have to endure the pain of blisters on and off the trails. Understandably weight is a big concern walking the Camino, but good footwear is a must.

Good luck and Buen Camino!

Highly recommend spending some time reviewing the book, "Fixing Your Feet" - John Vonhof.
Most feet are different but you may find a solution for you there.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I wore 1000 mile socks on my 1st camino but they were only a single layer sock, I think there are several types. But yes, I followed the advice of wearing both inner and outer socks, even whilst wearing 'double socks', it worked for me so that's what I always do now.
Vaseline worked too but the following year I discovered Nok cream, the French pilgrims swear by it and it is much more pleasant. I buy it in France or online from the UK. The ' unguente del peregrino' you can buy in Spain is good too but I find the smell a bit powerful!
Sheep wool - picked from fences when you go on practice walks - is brilliant! Put it on any hot spot straight away and it works wonders. Really worth a try.

€60,-
If people stopped wearing Goretex lined boots and shoes they'd reduce blisters too.

I walked the Camino this past spring and was hounded by blisters. The only thing that worked for me was to rotate between two pairs of shoes, to vary the friction points. Compeed dressing provides great cushioning for blisters, but the downside is that it leaves adhesive stuck to your socks that then hardens and later chafes. I recommend wool socks, Vaseline (liberally applied), and two pairs of footwear. But we're all different.

If people stopped wearing Goretex lined boots and shoes they'd reduce blisters too.
Not always. As with most things, it depends on the wearer. I wear Goretex lined mid height Salomon boots with one pair of lightweight socks. My feet love these boots and I'm now on my third pair. Blisters have not been a problem over many spring/summer pilgrimages and other long distance walks. I have, however, dressed the blisters of other walkers wearing non-Goretex lined shoes.

Two pairs of socks, Vaseline or similar, Compeed, shoes vs boots, waterproof lining ... the variations are endless and it all boils down to individual differences. Unfortunately there is no "one size fits all" answer and we each have to find what works for us.

GTX causes a lot of problems for people. Ask any thru hiker. Three things cause blisters: friction, heat and moisture. GTX does not allow your feet to breathe as well as if you had non-GTX footwear. They will essentially fill with your own sweat!

You're right. Everyone is different. I'd wager a guess that most people with blister problems are wearing GTX footwear. I'd also wager a guess they haven't seen a podiatrist to learn about their feet and what shoes will work best for them.

Most of the issues pilgrims have on the Camino could be solved simply by knowing their bodies and preparing properly. But that would take all the fun out of it, wouldn't it? ;)

Fwiw, I now use non-GTX NB Minimus trail runners and haven't had a blister in months. I hike and backpack hundreds of miles each year and very rarely get blisters.

Blister Prevention and Treatment for Hikers
Introduction

No one is immune to blisters. However, blisters are preventable if you understand the conditions that cause them and they will heal faster if you know how to treat them properly. In the following article I begin by explaining what blisters are why they occur. I then discuss techniques to prevent them from occurring, followed by guidelines for treating blisters that will expedite the healing process.

What Causes Blisters?

Blisters can be caused by burns, allergic reactions, and fungal infections. The most common cause of blisters resulting from hiking is friction. When your feet get hot and sweaty, your socks stick to your feet and begin to rub against the inside of your shoes or boots. The skin at the point of friction becomes red and irritated. Lymphatic fluid flows to the friction site gathering between the layers of skin to protect the area like a small balloon, eventually forming a bubble of fluid known as a blister. Blisters can also occur when your socks, boots or shoes get wet from the rain, snow, or a stream crossing.

Blister Prevention

The key to preventing blisters is to eliminate friction. Shoes and boots should be well broken in and you should make an effort to keep your socks as dry as possible by changing them when your feet get hot and sweaty or by taking your shoes or boots off periodically to let your feet and socks dry out when you take a snack break. If this means bringing along one or two extra pairs of socks, it may be well worth a few more ounces of pack weight.

If you expect to do a lot of stream crossings you should consider bringing along a pair of sandal or crocs to wear instead of your boots to keep them dry. Bringing along a pair of camp shoes also gives your boots and socks an opportunity to dry for a longer period of time before you need to put them back on again. Conditions permitting, you may also want to re-evaluate a preference for leather hiking boots. Ultralight hikers who wear lightweight boots, running shoes or even sandals may experience less blisters because their footware drys more quickly when it gets wet. Gore-Tex lined leather boots, on the other hand, can take days to dry out completely.

Other effective ways to reduce friction include applying petroleum jelly to a hot spot or sprinkling foot powder or corn starch on your feet to prevent moisture buildup. If you feel a hot spot forming on your feet, you should stop to inspect it immediately and apply moleskin or tape to prevent it from turning into a blister later in the day. Some hikers also prefer wearing two sock layers, a liner which absorbs moisture and can be changed frequently, and a heaver outer sock. This moves the site of friction between the socks, away from your skin and a sock.

Blister Treatment

Blisters come in different shapes and sizes. The first stage in determining how to treat a blister is to assess it. Broken blisters that are leaking fluid should be disinfected and bandaged. Unbroken blisters that are painful should be pricked with a sterile needle and drained. Small blisters that are not painful should be left alone because the best protection against infection is the blister’s own skin. These will heal by themselves and will be reabsorbed in a few days.

If a blister has broken, it should be cleaned, disinfected and then bandaged. You can disinfect the would by irrigating it with chlorinated water, wiping it with an alcohol swab, or rubbing it with a dab of Purell. If the skin over the blister is ragged and dirty it should be carefully cut off. Otherwise it should be left intact to prevent infection. Before bandaging the wound, an antibiotic oitment should be applied. Research has shown that the application of Neosporin or triple antibiotic gel will kill of infecting bacteria after two applications and accelerate the healing process.

Unbroken blisters that are painful should be drained. This is caused by the build up of fluid in the blister, so removing it will help relieve the pain. First swab the blister with alcohol to disinfect the area. Then, using your fingers, push the fluid to one side of the blister. Prick the side with the fluid using a needle that has been sterilized by alcohol, a lighted match or in boiling water. The needle should prick the blister horizontally at the point where the blister begins to rise above the skin. Leave the skin overlying the blister in place to prevent infection. Apply antibiotic gel to the site of the needle pricks and cover with a bandage. For small blisters, cover the entire blister with an adhesive bandage. For larger blisters cover the entire blister with a porous, plastic-coated gauze pad that will absorb any further drainage and allows the blister to breath and dry out. If the bandages get wet, reapply the antibiotic ointment and redress the blisters. After a few days, the skin under the blister should have healed and you can cut away the remaining dead skin.

Other Folk Remedies

If you hang around long distance hikers and backpackers long enough, someone will suggest using Superglue to help heal a blister or make it possible to keep walking with one. This suggestion is actually a lot less far-fetched than it sounds. Superglue is widely used by surgeons to bond together organs or parts of the body that respond poorly to stitches. It is also effective in closing skin shears like cracked calluses where the sides of a wound must be bonded to accelerate healing.

Superglue can be used to treat blisters by squirting it between top of a popped blister and the skin beneath it. This bonds the roof of the blister to the underlying skin reducing the risk of infection and creating a hardened shell over the blister site. The downside of this technique is that the solvents in the Superglue will hurt like hell when they are applied to the wound. To be on the safe side, make sure that you have sterilized the blister with alcohol before applying Superglue to it.

Tincture of Benzoin is another bonding agent that can be also be used to seal the roof of the blister to the exposed skin underneath. It already contains alcohol, so a separate application is unnecessary.

From Section Hiker

Falcon, I know Philip from Section Hiker...he's a great resource. Glad you found his stuff informative too.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Blisters are a tough one. I am fortunate in that I have not had blister problems. I work in the outdoor industry and I've seen some nasty stuff. One thing that cannot be emphasized enough to prevent or even treat blisters is hydration. Hydration, hydration, hydration.... Drink before you get thirsty and then drink more... Fluid intake is more about not just being thirsty. Imagine your blood without enough water starts to become sludge like. OK, maybe that's an exaggeration. It is also possible that the shoes or boots you are using are too stiff. As a result,you are missing out on some blood flow to extremities. After wearing stiff boots for years on trail, I began having problems with foot pain, not to mention weak ankles. My feet were also spreading at an alarming rate (going up a half size in a year). I switched to a low top, softer soled hiking shoe. With more flex to my foot, I had better circulation AND (this part is really cool) my foot size went back down. It was explained to me that with more foot flex, I was using more of the little muscles, tendons and ligaments causing my feet to actually become stronger raising my arch back up and shortening the length of my foot. Could be total BS but the fact remains, my feet feel much better, I don't get blisters and I can walk farther every day because my feet and ankles don't tire. I also began to walk and hike with more concentration and intention as I was so afraid of twisting an ankle. I carry a pretty heavy pack over some rough terrain for work and so far so good. What have you got to lose?

What do people do with blisters that have de-roofed? Just asking because I wore a pair of heels I hadn't worn for a while and got a slight very shallow blister. Went to martial arts training which is barefoot and of course I did something that de-roofed it.
I'm a whiz at tackling all sorts of problems with sports tape but I don't usually have to walk 30 km with my handiwork.
I can just see myself catching a judo class on my rest days to get my fix and stuffing up my feet with all the pivot turns. I'm already working out sock regimes. I suspect Injinji toe socks will be in my Camino future.

juju

Hello! I am from Australia too, and I know you have a lot of advice, but I just know the answer to this one, so here goes.
Also with the Boots thing- Hiking boots aren't really your best bet on the Camino... I wasted all that money for nothing. Gortex my eye!

Some people get no blisters at all! There are a few techniques and I assure you, once you walk it you will become a SUPERSTAR Blister dealer. In the first three days I had the worst blister and had to walk in one sandal(Flip flop- yep thats right!) for a few days to avoid infection!
But now I can proudly help others hehe

1. Reduce the friction in your feet -I would rub Vicks on my toes and feet (or some people use Vaseline, but vicks has a nice smell)
2. Change your socks when you start to sweat- WET feet- big no.no
3. Give your feet a rest if they get bad- if you have to take a day off if it has escalated from blister to a wound, they need to recover/dry.
4. Drain blisters and makes sure you dress them with gauze and wrap them up. Even if you have to drain them during your walk (like my poor pinky toe) stop, fix it, then move on. Walking in pain is only going to make it worse!
For this you will need to sterilise your needle. I saw some people leave a piece of string in their blisters so that they would continuously drain- I never did that but it is a possibility.
5. Wrap up problem areas with some sort of tape, either paper or plastic. Paper is better, less moisture.
6. Always carry antiseptic cream ( I love Betadine), a lighter, a needle, some gauze - or cotton padding and some waterproof tape that will hold it in place.

I have photos of some enormous horrific ones and I had and saw some big bad ones.

Don't worry though, once you have to do it once or twice it will be come a part of your routine :)

And remember.... ULTREIA!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

juju
Most likely you will get some blisters. My advice from experience is wear ONLY Smart Wool Socks. Use Body Glide or Vaseoline. The tread through blister for drainage at night is good. I used at the end a old AT Trick of duct tape. Take duct tape and put four or five lengths around your hiking poles so not to carry the whole roll. Use and alcohol wipe to clean heel in AM; cut you a heel cup then glide and wool sock. The tape should last for several days and provides great protection. Also slow down. If you slow down and use precaution the blister will be minimum. Just walk ! It will be the experience of your life and blister will heal.

Here is my 10 cents worth ; friction and moisture are your enemy . . . If your shoes/boots rub against the skin of your feet, especially where you have not formed callus/thickened skin, a blister can/will develop. This is why we have natural calluses on our feet; they are points of friction. Add moisture : it enhances friction and heat development . . .
Solution : pick as you please; Many posted above . . In my point of view keeping feet dry (double socking, changing every 2-3 hours, talcum powder, etc.) is priority no.1. Avoiding friction/rubbing: lace your boots comfortably tight.... And do NOT 'pedicure' your calluses off before a long walk !!! These sections of hardened skin are designed to combat friction . . .

Buen Camino !!!

Last edited:
And be careful with applying duct tape directly onto your skin : the strong adhesive quality of the tape can pull off some of your epidermis (top layer of your skin), damaging the skin and becoming more susceptible to blistering. Also the glue has chemical components (polyethylene) which are not healthy . . .

Cheers !

Effect of polyethylene particles on human osteoblastic cell growth.
Martínez ME1, Medina S, del Campo MT, García JA, Rodrigo A, Munuera L.
Author information

Abstract
In this study, we have analyzed the direct effect of ultrahigh molecular weight polyethylene (polyethylene) on the osteoblastic cell growth in primary cultures. The cells were cultured from human bone samples obtained during reconstructive joint surgery. When cell cultures reached confluence (4-6 weeks) they were separated into three subcultures. One subculture was without particle addition (plain culture). In the other two subcultures, polyethylene or alumina was added. Two different sizes of particles were used, <80 and <160 microm. The subcultures were incubated until confluence. Proliferation of each subculture was measured by cell counts after 3, 6, 9 and 13 days, and the area under the curve (AUC) was calculated. Polyethylene particles of <160 microm induced a decrease in growth, whereas alumina of the same size did not. Polyethylene and alumina particles of <80 microm induced an inhibition in the osteoblastic cell growth; <80 microm polyethylene induced a higher inhibition than alumina of the same particle size. In conclusion, we have observed a direct effect of polyethylene on osteoblastic cell growth. This study shows that polyethylene may decrease the growth rate of human osteoblastic cells in primary cultures. Smaller particles produce a more marked reduction.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Everyone's feet are as different as the people they belong to. Based on the last seven(!) posts: 1) I kept my feet dry, 2) I had a pedicure, 3) my podiatrist said, "Leave the calluses alone (no cream), and 4) I put them under as cold water as I could find at the end of the day.

And be careful with applying duct tape directly onto your skin : the strong adhesive quality of the tape can pull off some of your epidermis (top layer of your skin), damaging the skin and becoming more susceptible to blistering. Also the glue has chemical components (polyethylene) which are not healthy . . .

Cheers !

Effect of polyethylene particles on human osteoblastic cell growth.
Martínez ME1, Medina S, del Campo MT, García JA, Rodrigo A, Munuera L.
Author information

Abstract
In this study, we have analyzed the direct effect of ultrahigh molecular weight polyethylene (polyethylene) on the osteoblastic cell growth in primary cultures. The cells were cultured from human bone samples obtained during reconstructive joint surgery. When cell cultures reached confluence (4-6 weeks) they were separated into three subcultures. One subculture was without particle addition (plain culture). In the other two subcultures, polyethylene or alumina was added. Two different sizes of particles were used, <80 and <160 microm. The subcultures were incubated until confluence. Proliferation of each subculture was measured by cell counts after 3, 6, 9 and 13 days, and the area under the curve (AUC) was calculated. Polyethylene particles of <160 microm induced a decrease in growth, whereas alumina of the same size did not. Polyethylene and alumina particles of <80 microm induced an inhibition in the osteoblastic cell growth; <80 microm polyethylene induced a higher inhibition than alumina of the same particle size. In conclusion, we have observed a direct effect of polyethylene on osteoblastic cell growth. This study shows that polyethylene may decrease the growth rate of human osteoblastic cells in primary cultures. Smaller particles produce a more marked reduction.

Interesting article. Now I can understand how duct tape can be effective for warts. Study seems to concern osteoblastic growth so concern with polyethylene should be on bone growth not skin integrity although with the New England Journal of Medicine's duct tape/wart article, I can see a possible correlation worth noting.

Having just completed the Camino Frances in Finisterre today, here is what worked for me.

-- Before my camino I purchased waterproof low-cut hiking shoes with a wide toe box, and walked about 50 kilometers.

-- I started using a wool liner and sock combination (crew length), but found the separate crew-length socks were too warm -- even in minus 0C temperatures -- and the combination of two socks constricted my toes, defeating the wide toe box of the shoe. My little toes blistered.

So I downloaded the Kindle version of John Vonhof's "Fixing your feet" and followed his advice.

-- I switched to a lightweight Wright Sock, which is a low-cut sock where a liner and sock are made together. This kept my feet cooler and allowed more freedom of movement for me toes.

-- I purchased and began to use Body Glide on the bottom of my feet and between my toes. This helped lubricate my skin, reducing friction.

I also learned to treat blisters, following Vonhof's advice.

-- I learned to tape my toes and heels using KT tape, duct tape, or both to prevent blisters.

Before I left for France, I packed a kit consisting of a needle and matches, alcohol based hand cleanser, KT tape and duct tape, small scissors, Body Glide, Vaseline, zinc oxide cream, and triple antibiotic ointment.

Each morning before I began to walk, I would clean my feet, tape my little toes, apply Vaseline between my toes, and apply Body Glide to my heels and sides of my feet.

My second day, between Roncesvalles and Zubriri, it snowed and rained heavily, and there were very few places to sit out of the rain or snow to care for my feet. I ignored several hotspots on my little toes and heel and they blistered. I drained and treated the blisters that night, and they were pain-free in a few days. I also gave my feet a rest while the blisters heeled by walking in my Crocs -- one day, about 33 kilometers.

Those were the last blisters I got, because from then on I stopped rain or shine to keep my feet clean, dry, cool, and well lubricated. In other words, from then on I gave my feet the respect they deserved.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Interesting article. Now I can understand how duct tape can be effective for warts. Study seems to concern osteoblastic growth so concern with polyethylene should be on bone growth not skin integrity although with the New England Journal of Medicine's duct tape/wart article, I can see a possible correlation worth noting.
You are right, osteoblastic growth was studied in this particular research; I see it as a sample of interaction between chemical complex molecular bonds and a natural organism [ which could also be ], the human body . .

Effects of man made non-organic components on organisms is a field of study in need of much more investigation : I have this hunch that the increasing prevalence of many human and animal auto-immune challenges and [as a part of it] cancer could be traced back to chronic or over-exposure to such . . .

Regarding duct tape, please bear in mind that duct tapes consist of a plastic backing (such as polyethylene), a scrim layer (similar to gauze), and an adhesive layer.

Different manufacturers use different adhesives, and variations may be found within a single manufacturer, by brand or country of production/sale.

Consequently, don't assume that all duct tapes include polyethylene, or include polyethylene in an adhesive layer.

Further, polyethylene compounds are ubiquitous in manufactured materials, and generally are considered inert. The chemical structure of polyethylene consists of the same building blocks as wax.

(I base this information on experience teaching analysis of duct and other tapes at the FBI Academy, and broader experience in polymer chemistry and materials analysis.)

I've walked five times with my family (plus crossed England along Hadrian's Wall), and the only blister was caused by a pair of socks that were too big. I think our not-at-all secret trick is the reason.

My husband learned this trick in his military service, and I learned it in the Girl Guides: Wear nylons! Every morning, we put thin knee-high nylons on our feet, very carefully avoiding all wrinkles, before putting on wool or synthetic walking socks. The nylons are quite tight, and stick to the foot. All rubbing takes place between the nylon and the next sock! We always bring with us spare nylons on the Camino, and have given away dozens of pairs on the way. (In Spanish, they're called "medias", and they sell them everywhere.)

Another thing I haven't seen mentioned here, would be our evening regime: We always shower, including foot washing, in the evening, and put on a fatty cream just as we're going to bed. We never shower in the morning on the Camoino - no extra humidity on our feet before the day's walk, and no soaked soles from standing in the shower stall. I think that makes sense.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
juju,

You will have lots of advice here, from woollen socks, shoes, foot creams, to Compeed. I hope one of the methods will work for you.

For me, none of them works. So I have to resort to blister management instead of blister prevention. I carry a sewing kit and employ what they say is a Spanish method of running the needle through the blisters with the thread visible on both ends of the blister. The logic is it will prevent additional blister forming around it as additional fluid will have an escape path through the threads. By the 3rd day in camino, I would have no more additional blisters. You do have to put up with the callous with threads, not to worry as they'll will come off eventually.

I know it sound gross and it's not for the faint of heart, but it works for me. Still, if other methods, all the better.

Are you supposed to leave the thread in the blister?

€83,-
Somewhere in all of these posts was the mention of orthotics. It just occurred to me that they may be the "silent solution" and probably function like the second pair of socks (which I don't subscribe to!). A good orthotic (Superfeet) is cut just a little bit smaller in length than the insole which comes with the shoe or boot. That way the foot and the orthotic move together (no friction) and the motion which would normally cause a blister takes place between the orthotic and the bottom of the boot.
Add keep them DRY, don't take off your boots during the day (your feet will swell and then fit differently), and ice everything down at night.
Now choose from all of the above. In the end everyone's feet are different.

juju

Wow. There is a massive amount of great information here on blisters, but I thought I would still comment.

I have been training for my 9 Sep 14 trek on Camino Frances [ and on to Finisterre and Muxia ] for eight [8] months now.

I wear Merrill Moabs and really love them.

I heard or read someplace about wearing women's knee-high hosiery as a second liner sock and wear them during my daily training routine.

I will be taking several pair even though I have been wearing the same pair for the eight [8] months of training.

Very compressible, durable, and extremely "weightless". Inexpensive.

I have not developed a blister yet.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this topic. It has been very educational.

Noah

PS: I have been using Neosporin +Pain [a small tube] for most of my disinfecting needs for many years now having raised three kids to adulthood. It has been a "miracle salve" and, when cuts occur. minimizes scars. First thing I place in my first-aid kit.

If you are hypothyroidic as I am, betadine can not be used. Thus, the Neosporin!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I've been wearing the same on some training hikes and have been pretty happy with them as well. One concern that I have is how they perform in heavy rain and how quickly they dry. Any experience with rain? I live in a high Alpine desert and we aren't getting enough rain to evaluate.
I heard or read someplace about wearing women's knee-high hosiery as a second liner sock and wear them during my daily training routine.
" Second liner sock" or second sock serving as the only liner sock?
Congrats! Buen camino, Noah

ArkBuilder -

I agree with your assessment that Neosporin has been a great salve. However, I have to say "has been".

Over the years, I have found more incidences of users getting a rash in spots they used it. Then, once MRSA came on the scene (Methicillin resistant staph aureus) the data started to paint a picture of Neosporin being a contributor to the problem.

More people are moving to use of colloidal silver gel/cream as it has become available in higher quantity and quality. It is a surface active killer of bacteria and not one to which they can (likely) become resistant.

My personal experience has been excellent but I do some research updating on brands before I purchase and pay close attention to "expiry date" on the shelf item.

The Vaseline/BodyGlide debate -

BodyGlide has served me well (with liner and outer sock) on two Caminos. My buddy tried BodyGlide for several days and had to switch to Vaseline. For him, it was the Vaseline that worked a trick (also with liner/outer sock combo).

Think of the reccos above as a toolkit. Mix and match to find what works for you personally.

B

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally agree with above I am retired wound care nurse. Walked Portuguese this year, doing French next year. There are so many opinions, choose from the most sane and be open to change if what you do is not working. Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

juju

The only time I EVER got blisters was on an endless slog in a snowstorm in telly boots skiing on a road in Wyoming. Other than that, in all my miles of hiking and walking, it's not been an issue. My shoes are light and roomy. I wear one pair of socks. I hydrate, hydrate and hydrate some more and stretch my feet on breaks, air them out and put them up. There is still time though, I could get some nasties but I will stop the minute I feel a hotspot and take care of it.

The only time I EVER got blisters was on an endless slog in a snowstorm in telly boots skiing on a road in Wyoming. Other than that, in all my miles of hiking and walking, it's not been an issue. My shoes are light and roomy. I wear one pair of socks. I hydrate, hydrate and hydrate some more and stretch my feet on breaks, air them out and put them up. There is still time though, I could get some nasties but I will stop the minute I feel a hotspot and take care of it.

This raises a point that seldom is mentioned. The only place my feet blistered on the CF was walking from Roncesvalles to Zubriri in driving snow and rain. What caused my blisters was not friction -- in the sense that my feet were rubbing back and forth against my shoes. My feet blistered from the persistent rocking of my shoes over the icy and wet rocky ground, which had the effect of driving my feet from side to side against the sides, toe, and heel of my shoes, causing blisters under callouses.

€83,-
Different people get blisters for different reasons.
No one solution will help everybody. There is a forum on "Blister Defence" which might interest you. On that I said:
"There has been much talk on the forum about BLISTERS - the bane in the life of so many pilgrims. This was my 4th camino. On the previous three I needed hospital treatment for severe blistering, which took much of the pleasure from the trek. I have tried all the usual remedies - vaseline, powder, walking socks, massage, etc etc all to no avail.
This year I decided to use panty liners. If you fellows don't know about panty liners, just ask the lady in your life.
I would place the liner on the floor, sticky side UP, then carefully place my foot down onto it, so that it was at the same angle as my toes - and gave me protection along the ball of the big toe, and across the whole sole of my foot just below the toes. Just position it where you usually get blisters.
On occasion I had to buy the extra long liners from chemists in Spain: the same principle applied, and the ends of the liner were simply folded across the top of my foot. I then put on my normal walking socks.
I am not suggesting for one moment that this will cure everyone's problems. Only that they cured mine. So it might be worth a try.
I also limited my walking distances to no more than around 22-24 kms a day - ideally down to 15 kms approx.
If that helps just one of you to avoid blisters, my time has been well spent.
Buen camino! [Without blisters :)]

juju
I walked from Leon to Santiago, and I had blisters you wouldn't believe, and I was advised by an athletic-type store along the way that blisters are caused by moisture and heat, which boots caused in the July heat. The lady said in the mountains you need boots, but from Leon you need something that gets air to your feet (she is speaking of the hotter months.) I changed to athletic sandals (Tiva's), although I have always been a fan of ankle support, and it got me the rest of the way and three days of walking as a tourist in different places afterwards. Here in the US we have this self-adhesive stuff on a roll (can't think of the exact name at the moment) that is between paper and gauze in texture, so you wrap it around your toe, say, and it sticks to itself to stay secure. As it turns out, that is all I would have needed to use rather than spending a ton of money on the Compeed (spelling?) that they sell along the Camino. Just put it on if you see an area reddening. My daughter wore tennis shoes the whole time and didn't have any blisters.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
When people talk about 'duct tape' (prompted tonight by TrishAlexSage's blog) are they talking about a special medicinal type of 'duct tape' - I presume they are not talking about construction-type duct tape?
Yes. And do not put it directly on your skin. Better to start with moleskin and if needed cover that with duct tape.

Th
Different people get blisters for different reasons.
No one solution will help everybody. There is a forum on "Blister Defence" which might interest you. On that I said:
"There has been much talk on the forum about BLISTERS - the bane in the life of so many pilgrims. This was my 4th camino. On the previous three I needed hospital treatment for severe blistering, which took much of the pleasure from the trek. I have tried all the usual remedies - vaseline, powder, walking socks, massage, etc etc all to no avail.
This year I decided to use panty liners. If you fellows don't know about panty liners, just ask the lady in your life.
I would place the liner on the floor, sticky side UP, then carefully place my foot down onto it, so that it was at the same angle as my toes - and gave me protection along the ball of the big toe, and across the whole sole of my foot just below the toes. Just position it where you usually get blisters.
On occasion I had to buy the extra long liners from chemists in Spain: the same principle applied, and the ends of the liner were simply folded across the top of my foot. I then put on my normal walking socks.
I am not suggesting for one moment that this will cure everyone's problems. Only that they cured mine. So it might be worth a try.
I also limited my walking distances to no more than around 22-24 kms a day - ideally down to 15 kms approx.
If that helps just one of you to avoid blisters, my time has been well spent.
Buen camino! [Without blisters :)]
That's awesome that you came up with such a creative solution! Good for you!

juju

Croydongirl from Oz here, if you google BLISTER PREVENTION TAPING - Oxfam Trailwalker Sydney has a video re Blister Prevention Taping Technique, my podriatrist is organising the materials for me, I don't plan to tape my feet everyday but will take enough for the days I feel I will next extra blister protection. I've also purchased a pair of ArmaSkin - anti-blister socks, a local Victorian company - check out their website. Are you saying you have worn out 5 pairs of boots OR you are still looking for the right ones? if it's the latter maybe you are not sourcing from the right walking boot specialist! Look out for 3 Aussie Shelia's - we are starting our Camino Frances first week in September.

@croydongirl, the video you recommended shows a great approach, but not one that is easily applied without assistance. If you haven't already spoken to your podiatrist, you might ask if they can recommend products that might be easier to apply in less ideal conditions, rather than the ideal conditions used in the video. For example, I find Fixomull particularly difficult to handle without assistance, and prefer to use a product like Micropore, a hypo-allergenic paper tape, instead.

My other concern is how you think you will know when you need extra blister protection. I know I would not be able to tell, and plan to have my preventative taping in place whenever I walk. If I am using rigid strapping tape, I replace that every day, taking it off in the evening and re-applying it in the morning. Where I use Micropore, I will leave that on for several days.

@croydongirl, the video you recommended shows a great approach, but not one that is easily applied without assistance. If you haven't already spoken to your podiatrist, you might ask if they can recommend products that might be easier to apply in less ideal conditions, rather than the ideal conditions used in the video. For example, I find Fixomull particularly difficult to handle without assistance, and prefer to use a product like Micropore, a hypo-allergenic paper tape, instead.

My other concern is how you think you will know when you need extra blister protection. I know I would not be able to tell, and plan to have my preventative taping in place whenever I walk. If I am using rigid strapping tape, I replace that every day, taking it off in the evening and re-applying it in the morning. Where I use Micropore, I will leave that on for several days.

Doug, thank you for your reply and suggestions - I do agree with all your comments, Judy

juju
Hi
I just completed my Camino from SJPdP and wanted to let you know that I did not get one blister or any other feet problems even though I had previously had blisters on other 1000kms hikes.(Bibblumen) On the Camino I wore Injinji Toe Socks and they are light and fantastic. I also rested every 5kms and took my boots and socks off each time to air my feet and give them a chance to rest. This helps with reduction of swelling and "heat" especially on hot days or when walking over 20 & 30kms in a day. I hope this helps you. Have a great walk. Buen Camino - Helen (Aussie)

Hi
I just completed my Camino from SJPdP and wanted to let you know that I did not get one blister or any other feet problems even though I had previously had blisters on other 1000kms hikes.(Bibblumen) On the Camino I wore Injinji Toe Socks and they are light and fantastic. I also rested every 5kms and took my boots and socks off each time to air my feet and give them a chance to rest. This helps with reduction of swelling and "heat" especially on hot days or when walking over 20 & 30kms in a day. I hope this helps you. Have a great walk. Buen Camino - Helen (Aussie)

Thank you for that info Gesha, I will look up the Injinji socks, Judy fellow Aussie

Blisters - I used MASSIVE quantities of Vaseline before putting on liner socks and then good quality hiking socks. I had good boots, but carried a spare pair of lambs wool shoe liners for when my feet were tired - blissful! I soaked my feet in hot water at the end of the day and elevated them for a while - no foot problems. Walked from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago and only sprained ankle in Burgos when missing a step because I wasn't looking where I was going. Did it in six weeks which included a fair bit of sightseeing. Another week or two would have been good because so much to see

Blisters are caused by moisture, friction and heat... so I worked pre-emptively to avoid blisters. Every morning I applied masking tape (yep, masking tape, a secret that a fellow peragrino shared with me) on the spots that tended to get "hot" when walked... I then vaselined my feet. I stopped every 2-3 hours, took off my socks, aired out my feet, reapplied tape and vaseline and put on a dry pair of socks.... soooooo worth it... no blisters, no pain

I personally have not yet trained on a rainy day but plan on doing so in the next 30 days before I leave on 9 Sep [2014] for SJPP.

My Nite Lite Outdoor Gear Men's Zippered Rain Chaps that snap-loop over my belt will keep my lower legs and top of the Moabs from getting wet underneath my Poncho. This will be a great help. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0057KLIJK/?tag=casaivar02-20

The manufacturer says that Merrill Moabs are made of fabric that dries quickly. I am also wearing special outer-socks that are made for spelunking so they ARE waterproof socks. This was for added "insurance" in case the manufacturer was mistaken or prevaricating.

I stand by my hosiery use. I know it is not "manly" to wear women's knee-high hosiery but, I have found them to be very durable in my training over the past year, and have never come close to developing a blister. [ knock on wood ]. They really do cut down on any friction just as well as Vaseline, without the greasy mess, in my opinion.

I also use Dr. Scholl's cushion sole liners and it is much more comfortable training on pavement than it was before I got them.

I believe the combination of the above prevents the blister issue for me, at least from an empirical standpoint.

Hope this helps.

¡Buen Camino!

38 days to go!!

ArkBuilder -

I agree with your assessment that Neosporin has been a great salve. However, I have to say "has been".

Over the years, I have found more incidences of users getting a rash in spots they used it. Then, once MRSA came on the scene (Methicillin resistant staph aureus) the data started to paint a picture of Neosporin being a contributor to the problem.

More people are moving to use of colloidal silver gel/cream as it has become available in higher quantity and quality. It is a surface active killer of bacteria and not one to which they can (likely) become resistant.

My personal experience has been excellent but I do some research updating on brands before I purchase and pay close attention to "expiry date" on the shelf item. B

Thanks!

Your assertion is well thought out and presented but, the research I have reviewed [ endless debate huh? ] is that colloidal silver's effects, even though it's been around for over a hundred years, has not been published in any respectable medical journal. And, I quote, "due to the lengthy list of side effects and relatively sparse information on what this product can actually do for you, you won't find many health experts promoting the substance."

Take it with you but use it sparsely, I would suggest. Empirically, I have never had any problems whatsoever in the use of Neosporin and I used it raising my three children to adulthood and it healed wounds of every kind for well over three [3] decades now. It is wonderful for reducing scarring as well.

Just an opinion and everyone has one, right? :)

Hope this helps.

….

Wow. There is a massive amount of great information here on blisters, but I thought I would still comment.

I have been training for my 9 Sep 14 trek on Camino Frances [ and on to Finisterre and Muxia ] for eight [8] months now.

I will be taking several pair even though I have been wearing the same pair for the eight [8] months of training.

Very compressible, durable, and extremely "weightless". Inexpensive.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this topic. It has been very educational.

Noah

PS: I have been using Neosporin +Pain [a small tube] for most of my disinfecting needs for many years now having raised three kids to adulthood. It has been a "miracle salve" and, when cuts occur. minimizes scars. First thing I place in my first-aid kit.

If you are hypothyroidic as I am, betadine can not be used. Thus, the Neosporin!

Are you leaving SJPDP on 9th September? There are several of us leaving then too ....

Are you leaving SJPDP on 9th September? There are several of us leaving then too ....

I am leaving Indianapolis via Atlanta to Madrid on 9 Sep 14 but arriving in Madrid on 10 Sep 14 at 08h35 and taking three [3] buses to SJPP.

I will be staying in SJPP until 13 Sep 14 and only going as far as Orisson, France [ Refuge Orisson ] to get as much out of my pilgrimage as possible.

I am in no hurry in that I do not return until 11 Nov 14.

Hope to see you along The Way!!

Noah

Thanks for your info - I am also staying at the Orisson and not rushing so who knows ....
Val

The manufacturer says that Merrill Moabs are made of fabric that dries quickly. I am also wearing special outer-socks that are made for spelunking so they ARE waterproof socks. This was for added "insurance" in case the manufacturer was mistaken or prevaricating.
I would be interested in how this approach works. I am not a caving expert, but what little I have done suggests that there are places where one could have permanently wet feet, and the specialist neoprene socks cavers use are to minimise the heat loss, much like a wet suit. That is, cavers accept they cannot stop their feet getting wet, and deal with that rather than trying to keep them dry.

On the other hand, most long distance walkers are more interested in keeping their feet as dry as possible in the first place. Moabs seem to be a reasonably popular choice, claim to be a waterproof boot, and should protect your feet in most circumstances. The can never protect against everything - there is always a big hole at the top that seems to leak if you immerse it!

Blisters are caused by moisture, friction and heat... so I worked pre-emptively to avoid blisters. Every morning I applied masking tape (yep, masking tape, a secret that a fellow peragrino shared with me) on the spots that tended to get "hot" when walked... I then vaselined my feet. I stopped every 2-3 hours, took off my socks, aired out my feet, reapplied tape and vaseline and put on a dry pair of socks.... soooooo worth it... no blisters, no pain

Quite amazing. Never heard this remedy before. Thanks for sharing.

I have found if you wear a nice, tight, silk liner sock and then a hiking sock I can walk 6-8 miles without even a hotspot. Nothing rubs because the tight, silk sock won't let it. The liner sock is easy to wash and dries quickly. Nothing washes socks like "Liggetts bar shampoo".

Just wondering if anyone swears by Gehwol foot cream?
I used bodyglide on my feet with 1000 mile socks and over 35okm I didn't have any problems.
Will do the same in three weeks time, but is this Gehwol cream pretty much the same, or does it add anything else?

Thanks!

€149,-
Blister Prevention and Treatment for Hikers
Introduction

No one is immune to blisters. However, blisters are preventable if you understand the conditions that cause them and they will heal faster if you know how to treat them properly. In the following article I begin by explaining what blisters are why they occur. I then discuss techniques to prevent them from occurring, followed by guidelines for treating blisters that will expedite the healing process.

What Causes Blisters?

Blisters can be caused by burns, allergic reactions, and fungal infections. The most common cause of blisters resulting from hiking is friction. When your feet get hot and sweaty, your socks stick to your feet and begin to rub against the inside of your shoes or boots. The skin at the point of friction becomes red and irritated. Lymphatic fluid flows to the friction site gathering between the layers of skin to protect the area like a small balloon, eventually forming a bubble of fluid known as a blister. Blisters can also occur when your socks, boots or shoes get wet from the rain, snow, or a stream crossing.

Blister Prevention

The key to preventing blisters is to eliminate friction. Shoes and boots should be well broken in and you should make an effort to keep your socks as dry as possible by changing them when your feet get hot and sweaty or by taking your shoes or boots off periodically to let your feet and socks dry out when you take a snack break. If this means bringing along one or two extra pairs of socks, it may be well worth a few more ounces of pack weight.

If you expect to do a lot of stream crossings you should consider bringing along a pair of sandal or crocs to wear instead of your boots to keep them dry. Bringing along a pair of camp shoes also gives your boots and socks an opportunity to dry for a longer period of time before you need to put them back on again. Conditions permitting, you may also want to re-evaluate a preference for leather hiking boots. Ultralight hikers who wear lightweight boots, running shoes or even sandals may experience less blisters because their footware drys more quickly when it gets wet. Gore-Tex lined leather boots, on the other hand, can take days to dry out completely.

Other effective ways to reduce friction include applying petroleum jelly to a hot spot or sprinkling foot powder or corn starch on your feet to prevent moisture buildup. If you feel a hot spot forming on your feet, you should stop to inspect it immediately and apply moleskin or tape to prevent it from turning into a blister later in the day. Some hikers also prefer wearing two sock layers, a liner which absorbs moisture and can be changed frequently, and a heaver outer sock. This moves the site of friction between the socks, away from your skin and a sock.

Blister Treatment

Blisters come in different shapes and sizes. The first stage in determining how to treat a blister is to assess it. Broken blisters that are leaking fluid should be disinfected and bandaged. Unbroken blisters that are painful should be pricked with a sterile needle and drained. Small blisters that are not painful should be left alone because the best protection against infection is the blister’s own skin. These will heal by themselves and will be reabsorbed in a few days.

If a blister has broken, it should be cleaned, disinfected and then bandaged. You can disinfect the would by irrigating it with chlorinated water, wiping it with an alcohol swab, or rubbing it with a dab of Purell. If the skin over the blister is ragged and dirty it should be carefully cut off. Otherwise it should be left intact to prevent infection. Before bandaging the wound, an antibiotic oitment should be applied. Research has shown that the application of Neosporin or triple antibiotic gel will kill of infecting bacteria after two applications and accelerate the healing process.

Unbroken blisters that are painful should be drained. This is caused by the build up of fluid in the blister, so removing it will help relieve the pain. First swab the blister with alcohol to disinfect the area. Then, using your fingers, push the fluid to one side of the blister. Prick the side with the fluid using a needle that has been sterilized by alcohol, a lighted match or in boiling water. The needle should prick the blister horizontally at the point where the blister begins to rise above the skin. Leave the skin overlying the blister in place to prevent infection. Apply antibiotic gel to the site of the needle pricks and cover with a bandage. For small blisters, cover the entire blister with an adhesive bandage. For larger blisters cover the entire blister with a porous, plastic-coated gauze pad that will absorb any further drainage and allows the blister to breath and dry out. If the bandages get wet, reapply the antibiotic ointment and redress the blisters. After a few days, the skin under the blister should have healed and you can cut away the remaining dead skin.

Other Folk Remedies

If you hang around long distance hikers and backpackers long enough, someone will suggest using Superglue to help heal a blister or make it possible to keep walking with one. This suggestion is actually a lot less far-fetched than it sounds. Superglue is widely used by surgeons to bond together organs or parts of the body that respond poorly to stitches. It is also effective in closing skin shears like cracked calluses where the sides of a wound must be bonded to accelerate healing.

Superglue can be used to treat blisters by squirting it between top of a popped blister and the skin beneath it. This bonds the roof of the blister to the underlying skin reducing the risk of infection and creating a hardened shell over the blister site. The downside of this technique is that the solvents in the Superglue will hurt like hell when they are applied to the wound. To be on the safe side, make sure that you have sterilized the blister with alcohol before applying Superglue to it.

Tincture of Benzoin is another bonding agent that can be also be used to seal the roof of the blister to the exposed skin underneath. It already contains alcohol, so a separate application is unnecessary.

From Section Hiker
I enquired after BodyGlide at my local sports store today. The guy didn't have any but showed me another product with a lanolin base which he had used doing ultramarathons. He reckoned not only was it non-greasy and good at preventing chafing but good at healing as well. It seems to me that Vaseline and Vicks have a paraffin base, then there's lanolin, anhydrous lanolin and whatever vegetable base in in BodyGlide. Anyone used the lanolin creams (hydrous and/or anhydrous)?

JMHO. Walk a LOT before the trip and toughen your feet up. 10 miles per day at least in the boots you plan on wearing and get your feet acclimated. Build those callus' on your feet! For me it takes greater than 8 miles to even begin to build up a thick callus on my feet. Second, I tape my toes with surgical tape. Takes 5-10 minutes to do it and will stay on there a few days. Never had a blister through that. Warm your feet after applying the tape by holding them in your hands / rubbing and it'll turn into a second layer of skin. Lastly, I tape up my heels and the soles of my feet if hot spots develop. First layer is vasoline on the hotspot to avoid the tape sticking to the sore, then surgical tape, then athletic tape and finally duct tape. It's like building a cast almost. I wrap duct tape around a used plastic gift card / credit card and you can get a bunch on there without a problem. Keep your feet dry. My feet sweat, I get blisters.

My wife has toe separaters. My question is...what about alernating between a walking boot, and say Keen sandals. Would that give the feet a break and an airing?

I walked from SJPDP to Santiago in August and September this year. I wore Hi-Tec waterproof boots and Bridgedale liner socks 2 pair together. The most important thing I did was follow the advice of previous pilgrim posts on here and stop approximately every hour take of the boots and socks air the feet. Then I used foot cream with lanolin in it to do my toes, ball of the foot and the heels before putting the socks and boots back on. Arrived blister free but it is important I think to let your feet get fresh air. Hope this helps at least one person to arrive blister free too. John

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I am starting the Route Frances on May 20 and looking at weather to pick my clothes but also figured I should factor the bug situation into the equation since I don't want to weigh down my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.