• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Blog Plagiarism

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
I am really peeed off! I found one of my blog posts copied in its entirety on a health blog website! They have copied the whole post, photos and all, with no credit or link back to my site.

I have a request on the front page of my blog:

©2007 Amawalker. All original writing and photographs on this website.
Please ask for permission before using any part of this blog on your own blog or website and then include a credit or a link to this blog.

This crowd has just ignored it and copied an entire post onto their blog. And I can't seem to find a contact - although I have made two comments.

http://www.oxadox.com/index.php?article ... 27166_html

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Sil
If it´s any consolation, this is a very poor website that´s obviously put together by a robot. Maybe "imitation is the highest form of flattery..." Your copy was complete and appealing enough for some lazy and dishonest quack to want to steal and make his own! It happens to every decent writer.

But still there´s no excuse for this. I commented, too. For what good it will do. Robots can´t read comments, and lowlifes just don´t care.

Reb.

Sil, cretins exist in the world and we will know them by their company.

Fret not, some where...some day...their just deserts will be delivered as by all the thunder and storms on high.

The bloody bastards!

Arn

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have found forum postings re-posted on similar websites. I think sometimes people 'selling' something just want google traffic to come to their website, and they'll use any material to get people there.
Margaret

One must always be sure that when accusing others of pinching pictures or quotes that one do not do the same ones-self.

I have spoken to a number of people about this and nobody likes it when their pictures or words are used without their permission. Always ask and if necessary acknowledge the source of your photos or quote.

I have also seen forum posts on other sites. I believe this is a robot or some sort of automated system that create these pages, they do it to make money.

How? Notice that they copied your post related to a medical topic? This is not a coincidence I think. Adds on pages on this topic, generate up to 2-3 USD per click (this is high). They would never take text from your blog on topics that do not generate high ad value.

Not sure what to do to stop it though. :-(

Un saludo,
Ivar

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Sil/Ivar,

Plagiarism has also been a problem experienced by some gardening bloggers whom I read. Have a look at this interesting post by Hanna who keeps a blog This Garden is Illegal. (So called as her city ordinance prohibit growing veg in the front garden but she sneaks a few in anyway!)

http://www.thisgardenisillegal.com/2007 ... ights.html

If that link doesn't work look up the blog and under 'blog stuff' follow the posts on coypyright infringement.

Regards
John

I have a note on the sidebar of my blog saying that I don't mind if someone uses my photos or words for their blog, as long as they ask and give me credit and/or a link back to my blog (the original source).

I think that some pictures and words are used over and over and over again on different websites and blogs until nobody knows where they originated. Most of the photos of wild plants and flowers that I used in the Medicine article came from http://www.opsu.edu I added their website URL at the end of the post.

Last year I was contacted by the author of the mantra 'Here begins the Journey - Now begins the Day - With one step upon the Road - My soul is on its Way.' I used it as an opening verse on a blog post. She asked me where I had taken it from. I told her that I honestly couldn't tell her. People share little verses and mantras with me all the time and I have about 6 pages of them. She told me to either credit her or remove the verse. I like the verse so I put a credit next to the verse. If you google the verse my blog comes up first - I haven't been able to find her name at all so perhaps it has never been published on the Internet.

Just the other day I read one of our forum members' posts and found my photo with sheep and a shepherd on her blog. I only remembered this particular photo because I had offered it to the CSJ for their Roads to Santiago Spiritual Companion booklet last year. She said she found it in their Spanish file ... .

It seems that if you post something on the internet, which is a public domain, you have to accept that it is available to everyone. It would be nice to give credit where its due. So, if I have used anybody's photos on my blog without permission, please forgive me ... let me know and I will give you the credit you deserve.

If you want to be really Zen about it, you can just Let It Go into the universe and detach your ego from all the stuff you´ve "created." Unless it is vital to your livelihood, why be possessive of something that is beautiful and beneficial to others, and was initially given to you, perhaps, as a gift?

I know it´s galling when the greed-heads try to make a buck out of your hard work, but in the final analysis, who reads the byline anyway? It´s all just ego. And ego is all puffery and hot air.

(i expect to hear from my labor union about this within a couple of hours..!)

Reb.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You are right!
I really don't mind if stuff is copied by other peregrinos for pilgrimage blogs or websites - thats why we put the info out there, it was the gall of the 'robot' to take the whole post (not bits of it) and copy it onto his blog with no reference to where it all came from.
I didn't actually 'create' much of it. I laboriously typed out the descriptions of plants from a 4-page A4 leaflet entitled "Os Remedios do Camiño" collected at an exhibition in Santiago in 2004. I then pasted this into a Google translater. It is in Galego which made the translation to English rather difficult.
(There is no copyright symbol on the leaflet!)

sillydoll said:
It seems that if you post something on the internet, which is a public domain, you have to accept that it is available to everyone. It would be nice to give credit where its due.
Under the Berne Convention, unless otherwise stated, all original material is subject to copyright, including anything on the web, whether there's a copyright notice or not. How you enforce it is quite another matter. :)

oxadox.com is registered to one Qiyao Huang in Guangdong http://www.who.is/whois-com/ip-address/oxadox.com/
I'm sure Ivar is right that this is some sort of automatic site-scraper that hoovers up health-related webpages and sticks ads next to them, hoping to make some money out of clicks. I doubt if there's much you can do about this. You could get Google to cancel their account, but they'll just start up again tomorrow with a different name. Then again, if you took original material and included it in your blog without attribution . . . :shock:

Wow - I'd hate to try and hide from you Peter!
I've been told in a PM that someone IS pissed off with me for putting his photos on my blog without giving credit. I suppose "what goes around comes around". (I don't know who it is or which photos they are so I can't do anything about it).
I wish Mr Qiyao Huang a big Guang dong where it hurts most!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I don't think it was my whining that did it. Probably Rebekahs' rebuke ( strongly worded ) that scared them! Must be a human behind the robot!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.