• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Blog Program Recommendations

GuyA

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi,

In preparing for my 2013 Camino walk I would like to create a Blog as I have seen so many other pilgrims do. I will be away from home over 3 months therefore would like to share my experiences with family and friends as I walk.

I am interested in hearing from others as to recommendations on what program they used to create their blog. What did you like about it? The easier to use the better!

Thanks

Guy

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
WordPress.com is pretty much the best solution for a blog as it has the most free templates to choose from, addons, etc. I use the WordPress framework for all of my sites. There are other platforms such as blogger and fumble but none really compare with WordPress.

It depends on how complicated you want to be. I use Blogger and find it pretty straightforward. While I was away I most often 'sent' a new post to the blog by e-mail and published it that way.
Margaret

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have used Blogger and TravelBlog. They serve somewhat different purposes. If you are more interested in sharing the progress of your travels, I have found TravelBlog to be a better option than Blogger. I haven't looked at Wordpress for some time, but it also seems to have good functionality. Google and Yahoo groups also offer good options, but I haven't used them for travel blogging.

Regards,

I agree with what both Margaret and Doug wrote. Various programs serve various purposes. However for years I have used Blogger. Writing blog posts directly on a Nokia N82 smartphone, attaching the photo and emailing both directly to Blogger was and still is an efficient way for me to post while walking. Once posted all is easily edited either from the phone wherever there is Wi-Fi or, of course, with a computer at home.

Margaret Meredith

PS. For 399 posts on this Forum I have signed my name as Margaret. However since KiwiNomad who is also named Margaret has been writing on this Forum far longer than I, starting with today's post (my 400th) I shall sign with both my legal names, Margaret Meredith.

mspath said:
IPS. For 399 posts on this Forum I have signed my name as Margaret. However since KiwiNomad who is also named Margaret has been writing on this Forum far longer than I, starting with today's post (my 400th) I shall sign with both my legal names, Margaret Meredith.
Yikes, I don't want to push anyone out!!! Maybe I should stick with the Nomad bit!!!
Margaret

A selection of Camino Jewellery
KiwiNomad06 said:
mspath said:
IPS. For 399 posts on this Forum I have signed my name as Margaret. However since KiwiNomad who is also named Margaret has been writing on this Forum far longer than I, starting with today's post (my 400th) I shall sign with both my legal names, Margaret Meredith.
Yikes, I don't want to push anyone out!!! Maybe I should stick with the Nomad bit!!!
Margaret

No problems Margaret! No pushing involved. It is time for me to "show my true colors". I rarely used Meredith on the camino since many pilgrims had difficulty pronouncing it. When I explained it was similar to Mere Edith most thought that I was a nun!! Hence I used Margaret while walking and on the Forum. Both names appear on my passport so I am legally MM.

Cheers,

MM

I have used blogger for years and have had to evolve with all the upgrades, changes and new technology. Last year I took a Blackberry on the Camino and was able to post text and photos to the blog via an email. One can also use a mobile that operates android (but not Blackberry).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I've used WordPress ever since my first trip, to Afghanistan in 2009. It worked well for me, and I have not explored other or more recent offerings. (Once I got my readers trained to find me, I didn't want to change addresses.)

One feature I particularly like about WordPress is the absolute control you have (as publisher) over the level of security: you can just allow certain designated readers (keeping your news small and private), or several other levels. My blog is accessible from the link in my signature block but does not appear in search engines. And you can keep some pages private (use the blog as a journal without public access).

I post to WordPress, both text and pictures, using the "BlogPress" app on my iPhone.

Although I use the no-cost basic level of WordPress, there are additional features, including URL, that are available for small fees.

I encourage you to get your blog up and running, get all the details sorted out, before you actually leave home.

WordPress! But I really like the way kiwinomad can reverse the chronology after she's finished writing the whole blog, so it starts from the start. I'm told there's a way to do that with WordPress, but I'm too timid to try - lion-hearted winter pilgrim that I am.

I've never regretted using wordpress. As with the previous advice, get used to it before you start walking. I began the blog as a way of keeping in touch with folk while I was walking but it has now taken on a life of its own, while the times when I have thought about stopping, lots of readers asked me to keep blogging! I find it life-giving.

Andy

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

We have arrived in San Sebastián today to start our small journey on the Camino Norte and we are just so excited. We managed to get sometime with Aussie friends of ours that we met on the Camino...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.