• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Blogging from the Camino

JohnM

For those of you interested in maintaining a blog while you walk the Camino, over at On the way to Santiago, I've just started a series of posts on blogging from the road with some practical suggestions on how to make blogging your journey easier.

Anyone who has experiences of their own that they would like to share is more than welcome to contribute to the thread.
Hasta luego!
John

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Blogging on the camino isn't always easy but there are a few gadgets that make it easier. This nifty little gadget that helps you download photographs is on sale for only $5.93

http://www.accstation.com/phubcrdrxx04.html

Attachments

• PHUBCRDRXX04_2_acc.jpg
    PHUBCRDRXX04_2_acc.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 859
I discovered these in the shops when I arrived back home......!!!!

I almost certainly will take one next time. The only thing I would like to be certain about, is whether you can pick up and transmit little gremlins along when you use them in a USB port, as so many of the computers in albergues etc seemed to be infested with spyware. (I never ever would have trusted my internet banking password to be safe on those computers....)
Margaret

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Margaret,

I had 2 programs on the USB drive when I walk my caminos.

1. Portable Firefox

http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

It's a browser on a stick. Safer to use your own browser than the ones on the PC.

2. Neo’s SafeKeys

http://www.aplin.com.au/?page_id=246

This free utility allows one to click your password on they virtual keyboard instead of typing it, thereby spyware such as keyloggers will not be able to pick up your password. Highlight the password, then drag and drop to the password field of your blog or email.

Attachments

• neo.GIF
    neo.GIF
    11.4 KB · Views: 676
Two great ideas evanlow. I guess a worry I still is that I wouldn't want to put my photo SD memory card in this reader and find my photos had somehow become 'infested' with spyware.... but I don't know if this can happen or not.

Margaret,

If what you have on these little disk are photographs (like jpg), there are little risk of infection. Still, you might want to scan the disk for viruses and spyware when you are back home.

The biggest risk IMHO (In my humble opinion) these days is identity theft, hence the Neo's Safekeys program to click instead of typing your password.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm interested in updating a series of posts that appeared on my blog On the way to Santiago a few years ago with some new blogs dealing with different devices people have used and would recommend to others to blog on the go from the Camino.
The technology has moved on a bit since 2007, with iPads, iPhones, Blackberrys, Kindles and all sorts of devices available now that enable mobile blogging.
If you have some recent experience of blogging from the Camino with these or other gadgets and would like to contribute as a guest blogger, send me a private message through my profile on this board and I'll get back to you.
Thanks in advance for your interest.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back