• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Blogging

Simon B

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Ingles and Camino Frances. VDLP Spring 2019
I am starting the VDLP on 22 March from Seville and want to 'blog' to keep friends and family informed of my progress. I quite happily did a blog in 2016 on the CF but the site I used now seems overly complicated. Can anybody recommend a site that provides free blogs and is simple to use?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I've used Wordpress for ten years; it is quite flexible and you can do more or less with it as you wish. Easy to post from smartphones.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I use Google's Blogger (formerly Blogspot) for my travel blog. It works on Windows desktop and on my iPad and iPhone; however, there is no longer a native app version available from the App Store (I have been told that's due to a dispute between Apple and Google). I therefore use an app called "App for Blogger Blogspot," which works just fine. If you have an Android device you probably won't have a problem. Since I don't have an Android device, I can't recommend a smartphone app for that OS.

I use the app BlogTouch Pro (by Denk Alexandru) with my iPhone 5S which has quite a small screen. I switched to this recently, after the above mentioned dispute caused me problems i.e. I was unable to load photos onto my blog using my old app (App for Blogger Blogspot by An Tu). For a time, I tried Wordpress but I really didn't want to learn a new platform. Nor did I want to pay for any help or for a new domain name. BlogTouch Pro works well for me now, so I have abandoned Wordpress. (Wordpress constantly sends emails trying to persuade me to upgrade to their paid version, which I don't want to do!)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In addition to Wordpress, I can recommend Weebly. Their mobile app is excellent. If you only want to blog, I’d give the nod to Wordpress. If you might also want to build a website using an easy, drag and drop interface, then I heartily recommend Weebly.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.