• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Blogs & book authors, are you walking to write them?

Melensdad

Time of past OR future Camino
2016 SJPdP to Santiago, Finisterre. Hadrian's Way, 2015. Sections of the AT + National & State Park trails.
Just curiuos but it seems lik so many of the people I encounter who walked a Camino, or intend to walk a Camino are planning to/have already written blogs or books.

So if you plan to do it before you walk, are you walking, in part, to become an author?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I don't think maintaining a blog and writing a book are the same thing at all. People do blogs for various reasons, but seldom to sell. Their blogs are comparable to journaling and is a good way to share their experience with friends and anyone else interested in following their adventure. I did a daily FB post instead of a blog.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I maintain a blog, mainly to keep my family and friends informed about what I am doing. I don't intend to take that any further and publish a book.
I feel yo dougfitz. Thank you!

I enjoy blogging when I travel - I get to communicate to family, friends and miscellaneous strangers about whatever "adventure" I'm having. (Sometimes the miscellaneous strangers are more interested than the family!) I jokingly say that I need to go on a trip in order to having blogging stories, but that's not really true.

Keeping a blog is more like writing a public journal than being an "author." I don't expect to publish a book.

I was going to do a video blog along the way, but I decided not to, for various reasons, time being the main one.

I have decided to write something though. Not a guidebook or a blow by blow account of my Camino, just a short little booklet, probably under 100 pages, about some people and events that took place and my thoughts on them.

Edit-On my next pilgrimage though, I am doing the video blog thing.

I'm a freelance writer, so of course when I walked last year I had "well, maybe I'll pitch it to someone" in the back of my head, but that wasn't the purpose of my trip. I wanted to experience it for myself. If there was a story to be told, then great, but I didn't manufacture one while I was walking. I took copious notes on everything of course.

I did end up selling a story to a magazine eventually. But that kind of fell into my lap, I didn't actively pitch it to the magazine directly.

(I won't self-promote here, but if you'd like to read it, feel free to PM me and I'm happy to send you the link)

I keep a blog - have done for a while - which features Caminos and other walking stuff.

There are several reasons why I started it. Sure, I wanted to have something to look back on in my dotage, and something that my parents could look at now they are in theirs and can't travel any more.

But I also started it for me. I used to play in a band, but not longer do because my work schedule makes doing so difficult, and I'm of an age myself where burning the candle at both ends on a regular basis just doesn't compute! :D

So instead of playing music, I wanted to use my blog as something of a creative outlet for my enjoyment of walking, travelling and photography, and I really enjoy the creative process of writing. OK, so the standard may not be very high and I wish I could devote more time to it than I do, but the change to the daily routine it offers is a valuable respite.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We did a blog, as others above have said, just to keep our family and friends "in touch" with us and to let them know we were OK. It is also nice to go back and look at it ourselves :)

My wife did a daily blog (Camino Assets) for our 2019 trip (May and June) and our son presented her with the book version, with captioned pictures etc, at Christmas. He must have spent hours putting it in order and it is a lovely reminder of the trip, especially in lockdown.
I did an occasional blog post. But, having written and edited for a living for 40 years, it felt like work. But, I have since drafted a murder story about the Camino. Never having written fiction before, it was an interesting exercise but the editor in me knows it is awful! Not sure I will ever finish it.

This guy did, but I'm not sure whether it worked out well for him.

OIP.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back