• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bloody cobblestones!!

katie@camino

Time of past OR future Camino
CF, SJPDP-Finisterre 2016;CP (Central) Porto-SdC 2017;CP (Coastal) Porto-SdC 2018;CF Leon-SdC 2019
Excuse my Australian, but after walking on cobblestones for 2 days, i have a newfound appreciation for tarmac.

On the other hand - the Portugese people deserve a special place in heaven - i have been STUNNED by their kindness. I had read others comments on here saying the same thing but had assumed it was just 1 or 2 lucky encounters. But constantly, Portugese people go out of their way to help and guide and provise support. Incredible. I am not sure if this is the Camino spirit or the Portugese spirit???

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Excuse my Australian, but after walking on cobblestones for 2 days, i have a newfound appreciation for tarmac.

On the other hand - the Portugese people deserve a special place in heaven - i have been STUNNED by their kindness. I had read others comments on here saying the same thing but had assumed it was just 1 or 2 lucky encounters. But constantly, Portugese people go out of their way to help and guide and provise support. Incredible. I am not sure if this is the Camino spirit or the Portugese spirit???
- your post echoes exactly a previous post of mine.I loved the country,the weather and above all the people,but I hated the seemingly endless cobblestones.The people who went out of their way to help and their kindness will live with me forever.

- your post echoes exactly a previous post of mine.I loved the country,the weather and above all the people,but I hated the seemingly endless cobblestones.......

Seemingly endless??!! Tell me it isnt so!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I remember a few rough days when I swore a lot.
We expect cobblestones in Portugal, that's part of the deal, and the delight.
But on quiet country roads they were unexpected.
Not that they are everywhere because they definitely are not.
But I get grumpy when they are.
Next time I'll take a set of those really really comfy squishy innersoles and pop them in when needed.
Regards
Gerard....a Portugeezer

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Nah, if you've done two days, there's only one more to go - assuming you've just left Porto!!
Thankyou kiwi-family, such a relief to hear this!

I remember a few rough days when I swore a lot.
We expect cobblestones in Portugal, that's part of the deal, and the delight.
But on quiet country roads they were unexpected.
Not that they are everywhere because they definitely are not.
But I get grumpy when they are.
Next time I'll take a set of those really really comfy squishy innersoles and pop them in when needed.
Regards
Gerard....a Portugeezer
Thankyou kiwi-family, such a relief to hear this!
Ha! Grumpy....love it...

Not got a lot of give in them have they? I associate those granite lumps with pain. It's amazing that something so pretty can hurt your skeleton so much after a day of mindlessly mooching along on them.

Tarmac. I love it.

and
Yes, the Portuguese people are lovely and their country is great. Later inthe season I have been inundated with fresh grapes from their vines. And impromptu wine tastings. I want to live there.

Good to see ya @gerardcarey
I was starting to wonder if Portugal had swallowed you whole. Prithee tell us a tale.
I've been busy attempting to set a new world record for the longest length of time it takes for a pilgrim to walk from Lisbon to Santiago. Just home, a little worse for wear, but had an adventurous time.
As to my erratic scribblings, fear not. By my troth, fair maid, one estorie will arrive this very Frīgedæg.
Regards
Gerard....the Portugeezer...

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

it's the portuguese spirit -
have been in Portugal over the decades, unrelated to Caminho - and i've had those heart-warming encounters and experiences in all regions and seasons.
it's just a beautiful heart-quality that lives there. (has shadow sides as well of course, but that is another topic)
sometimes thought that those hard cobbles are to counter-balance the soft hearts :)

Nah, if you've done two days, there's only one more to go - assuming you've just left Porto!!

Did you do the Senda Litoral / Caminho Portugês da Costa? Because I had all kinds of hard surfaces much of the way in Portugal. Maybe my imagination but it seemed beter once we entered Spain (or I just got used to it).

One day walking 35 km by myself I made a picture of all the diverse surfaces. I wanted to upload all 5 to show but can only do one. And if I add the wooden boardwalks and mosaic there would be many more!

Attachments

• DSC_2348.JPG
    DSC_2348.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 35
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I presume you haven't followed the Senda Litoral, where, for the first couple of days out of Porto you walk on a tremendous surface, a wooden boardwalk! It gives a little back in spring from each step! But I agree, once you hit the cobblestones they are HELL if you have blisters on your soles!"Buen Dia"
And as for the friendliness of the Portuguese, personally, I found the Spanish more likely to respond with a "Buen Dia" to our small group than the Portuguese, possibly because the Spanish recognised us instantly as Peregrino's (we were on the Interior route from Tui by this time)?

The generous and kind Portuguese people certainly more than made up for the challenge of walking on cobble stone trails out of Porto on the central route which after day 2 we refereed to as 'hobble stones.'
Normally I don't like walking on asphalt surfaces, but compared to cobble stones, asphalt felt like walking on foam rubber in comparison.
But we loved Portugal and will certainly go back again.

Just completed the CP from Lisbon to SDC. The cobblestone will not end until you reach Spain! Wish I knew about the Hokas before I left. I bought cushioned inserts for my trail shoes, about 5 days into the camino! It only helped a little. It was only the Pastel de Nata and the kindness of the Portuguese that got me through!

Not got a lot of give in them have they? I associate those granite lumps with pain. It's amazing that something so pretty can hurt your skeleton so much after a day of mindlessly mooching along on them.

Tarmac. I love it.

and
Yes, the Portuguese people are lovely and their country is great. Later inthe season I have been inundated with fresh grapes from their vines. And impromptu wine tastings. I want to live there.

I will never look at them the same way!

it's the portuguese spirit -
have been in Portugal over the decades, unrelated to Caminho - and i've had those heart-warming encounters and experiences in all regions and seasons.
it's just a beautiful heart-quality that lives there. (has shadow sides as well of course, but that is another topic)
sometimes thought that those hard cobbles are to counter-balance the soft hearts :)

Good to know this, thankyou!

Did you do the Senda Litoral / Caminho Portugês da Costa? Because I had all kinds of hard surfaces much of the way in Portugal. Maybe my imagination but it seemed beter once we entered Spain (or I just got used to it).

One day walking 35 km by myself I made a picture of all the diverse surfaces. I wanted to upload all 5 to show but can only do one. And if I add the wooden boardwalks and mosaic there would be many more!

No i did the Central way from Porto. Spent an afternoon in Matasinhos and realised i wanted greenery. But i would have loved to experience the Senda Litoral for just a few hours :)

[QUOTE="LTfit, post: 529912, member:

One day walking 35 km by myself I made a picture of all the diverse surfaces. I wanted to upload all 5 to show but can only do one. And if I add the wooden boardwalks and mosaic there would be many more![/QUOTE]

I would love to see this collage!

I presume you haven't followed the Senda Litoral, where, for the first couple of days out of Porto you walk on a tremendous surface, a wooden boardwalk! It gives a little back in spring from each step! But I agree, once you hit the cobblestones they are HELL if you have blisters on your soles!"Buen Dia"
And as for the friendliness of the Portuguese, personally, I found the Spanish more likely to respond with a "Buen Dia" to our small group than the Portuguese, possibly because the Spanish recognised us instantly as Peregrino's (we were on the Interior route from Tui by this time)?
Yes i have noticed the same thing. Although extremely kind, i have noticed the Portugese seem reserved...perhaps not wanting to intrude

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Just completed the CP from Lisbon to SDC. The cobblestone will not end until you reach Spain! Wish I knew about the Hokas before I left. I bought cushioned inserts for my trail shoes, about 5 days into the camino! It only helped a little. It was only the Pastel de Nata and the kindness of the Portuguese that got me through!
This makes me think i need more Nata - have only had 1 in 7 days of being in Portugal!

- your post echoes exactly a previous post of mine.I loved the country,the weather and above all the people,but I hated the seemingly endless cobblestones.The people who went out of their way to help and their kindness will live with me forever.
I too hated the cobblestones. I fell the first day as I approached the Douro River in Porto and thought my camino was finished...fortunately nothing was broken or severely twisted so I continued on my way but that day May 23rd was 34 celsius at 8:30 am and as I limped along my feet quickly become very sore at the hard unforgiving and uneven surface...thought relief would come on the boardwalks but they were just as hard...all that being said I loved the Atlantic Coast and the Portuguese people were fabulous, so friendly and willing to help even without understanding English.

I agree on both counts - grew to dread seeing cobblestones, and yes, the Portuguese people are just wonderful!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Back in Santiago after 8 days on the Caminho Portugês da Costa from Porto.
Attesting to the hard surfaces, the soles of my Salomon trail runners are almost shot! Only yesterday I noted how worn they were. They were new prior to starting my Camino (~340 km Norte, SdC to Finisterre and Caminho Portugês da Costa from Porto).
Hmm never saw this happen after 3 weeks of walking.

At the risk of being called a pedant they are NOT bloody cobblestones!

These are bloody cobblestones (definition: a naturally rounded stone, larger than a pebble and smaller than a boulder, formerly used in paving.)

cobblestones.jpg

Cobblestones are naturally formed, rounded stones and a pain to walk over especially when wet.

What you (and I) walked over are bloody granite setts

granite setts.jpg

. . . . unless you're an architect of course - they ALWAYS get it wrong! (Can I have some of those pretty stone things please?)

(Disgruntled Highway Engineer) :mad:

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
At the risk of being called a pedant they are NOT bloody cobblestones!

I've been accused of pedantry now and again. I like to think that is just one of those irregular constructions that are so common in English: "I am correct", "You are being pedantic", "He/she is just being a pain in the ...." ;)

I've been accused of pedantry now and again. I like to think that is just one of those irregular constructions that are so common in English: "I am correct", "You are being pedantic", "He/she is just being a pain in the ...." ;)
Oh I do love that SO much!

This makes me think i need more Nata - have only had 1 in 7 days of being in Portugal!
Thr ratio of nata to napkins required is 1 piece to 7 napkins so if you eat a box of 6 thrn it increases to 42 napkins and a long shower

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The granite setts were a bear to walk on. I walked the entire Frances without blisters, but by day three on the CP I was in agony though I wore the same boots with insoles. I saw many spots where there were piles of these granite stones by roadside where they were clearly going to add more to the route....groan! Did they get this concept of pathway building from the Romans?

The granite setts were a bear to walk on. I walked the entire Frances without blisters, but by day three on the CP I was in agony though I wore the same boots with insoles. I saw many spots where there were piles of these granite stones by roadside where they were clearly going to add more to the route....groan! Did they get this concept of pathway building from the Romans?
I walked the entire Francés 1 and a half time without a blister. Three days here and I look like my feet have been attacked by a giant bear. ( Onay - that's rubbish but I'm too tired and in too much pain to think of a suitable simile !! ;-) I don't care what they are called - they're killing me

You have my sympathy - so picturesque, and they SO get to your feet even through boots that have worked in every possible terrain before! I finally ended up skirting the stones, even walking sort of at an angle off to the side!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...