• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Blossoms and cuckoos and storks, oh my!!

GettingThere

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Roncesvalles-SdC Apr-Jun 2015
Roncesvalles-Sarria Sep-Oct 2017
C. Frances sections Apr-Jun 2019
Great excitement - my mother and I were planning Camino number three for September-October this year, when it suddenly became much more convenient for me to take time off work in April-May. Our first Camino was in Spring 2015, and our second in Autumn 2017. While we loved both, there was something really special about walking into and through the Spring - the early wild flowers when we started in mid-April, leaves gradually opening and blossoms appearing on trees. Hearing cuckoos in the woods, and of course seeing the nesting storks everywhere! That clack-clack sound was so distinctive and we missed it on our second walk.

So now it's another Spring Camino! So excited, I don't care if it rains the whole time (although we were very lucky the first time and had a virtually rain-free Camino). Of course the timing means we'll be setting off in Semana Santa, so some booking ahead will be done to get us on the way. We've got about 7 weeks to walk but we are reeeeally slow, probably about 10-12km/day max this time. We'll just do what we can. Whatever we do, it will be wonderful to be back. Camino Francés from Roncesvalles to wherever. For some reason it is the Francés that pulls at us, and we've no desire at all to walk any of the other Caminos at this point. I don't know why, but there it is. And starting in Roncesvalles, as we did both previous times, also feels like the only place to start. The pilgrims' mass, a good night's sleep, then start walking in the morning. And a Spring camino!! Wooohooooo!!!

(Photo taken in Plaza del Mercado in Logroño, late April 2015, gazing up at a glorious horse chestnut tree in full bloom. Why I love a Spring Camino!)

Camino5.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Back