• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Blundstone boots...

susanaimee

Greetings! I'm new and have been searching to see if anyone has walked wearing Blundstone boots? I haven't come across any opinions (I may not know how to do a proper search!) I ask, because for me, they have more support then runners and aren't as cumbersome as my Keen hiking boots. I know it's about personal preference, but I'd still like to hear what people have to say who have done a lot of walking/hiking wearing them.

Thanks!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You don't say what style of Blundstones you are contemplating using. I have a pair of Blundstone work boots. I wouldn't contemplate walking in them, but there are others that might be suitable.

Regards,

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
These are very similar to my Blundstone work boots. I wouldn't choose to walk any great distance in mine.

I had a bad knee before I walked the del Norte some years ago, and wore Mongrel boots, very similar to the blundstones, as they were lighter and hopefully less painful for my knee than my usual hiking boots. It was a mistake, because they have no laces to secure the boot around the foot. Thus my feet slid around inside them, and I got the only blisters I have had on a camino. I might add that I trained for 1000km in the Mongrels before I left to do the walk, to avoid this very problem, but the del Norte was a lot steeper than the tracks I trained on!

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have a pair and wouldn't dream of wearing them on the camino because I need lateral ankle support. There is also Alan's point of sliding around.

The original ones, not the steel toed work boots!!
I love my Blundstones (blundies) and have walked many miles in them, but, I would not wear them to walk the Camino - I need better ankle support and I prefer boots which I can lace up rather than the elastic sided boots for such a long distance...

I also say "no" to Blundstones on the camino. They haven't any support and I have found even with moderate distance around town my feet slide around too much.... it gives me a good idea how awful they would be on the camino. Boots or shoes with laces are best.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Personally, I would recommend a good pair of hiking boots that fit well and have been well broken in before you begin. You will need the support of the laces and the ankle support. Also, I found I needed the solid soles between my foot the the often sharp rocks underfoot. Buen Camino!

Grace

My 2cents worth:

Can't say enough about these: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0079KAVN0/?tag=casaivar02-20
Just an incredible shoe for the camino.

Great tread for traction, lightweight, laces you can tighten with your heel tamped down for walking down mountains. I love love love them.

I showed up like an idiot in my 10 year old Danner boots; the sharp rock roads of the Pyrenees took all the remaining tread off. Rather than sliding down hills and breaking my limbs the rest of the camino, I bought a pair of Merrells in Pamplona, (gave my old Danners a respectful, tearful burial in the bushes outside the city).

Contrary to what they say about not breaking in shoes on the camino, my story ended beautifully thanks to a well-built superb Merrell shoe, well fitted, (one size bigger), and two pair of socks (preferably thin silk next to the skin).

I had no, I repeat, no blisters. Not a one. Danced the light fandango the rest of the way.

Tread is a HUGE issue for safety on tricky terrain, uphill and down, and your Blundboots don't look like they have good waffle tread to me...

Whatever you choose, have an absolutely fabulous walk my friend!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have these, but I just feel like I'm going to roll my ankle in them and they don't have a good grip! I was totally surprised as I have several pairs of shoes from them. I thought these were the ones... I will go and check out these Merrells! Thanks!!

Attachments

• keens.jpg
    keens.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 14
I had planned a 2000 km Camino in 2009, and in anticipation of the distance I opted for the Merrell Targhees. I was warned by the salesman, that because they were lighter I might feel stones and such like. He was right! What's more the tread wore out much more quickly, and even worse, the memory in the sole went so that by days end my feet were unbelievably tired. I bought some very expensive inserts to give me enough bounce to get me to a sports store to get new shoes. I really only got about 1,000 kms from them. By comparison, the Scarpas I am wearing on this Camino, had already done in excess of 1,000 kms and there will still be tread and comfort when I finish this camino. My experience tells me that scarpas are much longer wearing, partly because they have a tougher tread, and the way I wear shoes I could anticpate somewhere between 2 - 2,500 kms from them. They are not for everyone, but they suit my foot, which is the important thing! Janet

I wore a pair last year, 550km. And I had dry feet! No blisters! BUT, I think the tread was a bit too thin. I did not realize that Spain and the Camino was to be as rocky as it is.
I have bought and tried a few boots yet am not feeling committed to any of them.
Now going to consider some hiking shoes. Not sure I need the ankle support of a boot.
Otherwise I might just be using my trusty Blundies again this year. I do need to repeat ... No blisters, dry feet in rain.
When are you to be doing your Camino?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I wore a pair last year, 550km. And I had dry feet! No blisters! BUT, I think the tread was a bit too thin. I did not realize that Spain and the Camino was to be as rocky as it is.
I have bought and tried a few boots yet am not feeling committed to any of them.
Now going to consider some hiking shoes. Not sure I need the ankle support of a boot.
Otherwise I might just be using my trusty Blundies again this year. I do need to repeat ... No blisters, dry feet in rain.
When are you to be doing your Camino?

Were they the elastic sided boots, such as horse riders wear?

Alan

Be Brave. Life is joyous.

Yes they are the brown elastic sided boots Australian boot.
I have been wearing them for work purposes and everyday since the late '80's
Don't know how to post a photo here.

Ellie

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.