• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

BnB in SJPdP after Boston Flight

• Thread starter Former member 89254
  • Start date
F

Former member 89254

Hi Fellow Pilgrims! We are flying out of Boston, MA, on August 17, into Pamplona via Madrid, then taking a bus or taxi to SJPdP. We will need a really good night of sleep before we start our walk on Monday. Looking for recommendations for a BnB near the start of the walk. Is that near the pilgrim check in center? Thanks!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi Fellow Pilgrims! We are flying out of Boston, MA, on August 17, into Pamplona via Madrid, then taking a bus or taxi to SJPdP. We will need a really good night of sleep before we start our walk on Monday. Looking for recommendations for a BnB near the start of the walk. Is that near the pilgrim check in center? Thanks!

Forgive me if this sounds like preaching.

My first thought on your post was, is it really necessary for you to start at SJPdP?You're already going to Pamplona, perhaps you could start there and have less things to make plans for and have a longer rest after your journey from Boston?

On the other hand, if SJPdP is important to you. It may help you if I say I've used both the Belari Albergue/ guest house and the municipal Albergue at the opposite end of the same street. (Other places are available).

Other than the higher cost for Belari and the excellent hospitality and evening meal, I found there to be little difference in terms of the quality of sleep you will get and probably need after your trip.

One other thing you might want to consider is, by staying in the municipal Albergue, you get a very early introduction to Albergue life on a Camino.:eek:

Buen (good first night's sleep) Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Gite Makila is close to the Pilgrim's Office, and has private rooms that are comfortable, in addition to dorm space. It is popular, though, so I would make reservations ASAP if you decide to stay there. Actually, that applies to many of the popular, non alburgue places. SJPdP is not only a Pilgrim starting point, but is a popular tourist destination.

You would also be advised to consider making reservations at the Roncesvalles Alburgue, if you plan to stay there.

Hello Boston pilgrim. I've got nothing about where to stay but I do want you to know for future trips that Level airlines, one of the low cost types, has Boston/Barcelona service. I haven't used it yet to be able to review it but my autumn camino has been booked and the round trip airfare with tax was less than $350.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Look up Ixtalpea in SJPDP. Great little place run by a mom and daughter. Outstanding rooms and great breakfast

I have done the Camino Frances twice. Both times I started in SJPdP. I have stayed at Maison DonaMaria.....awesome century home sitting on the rivers edge. Francois is a fantastic host and serves a delicious breakfast. He is a wealth of information too. The house is a short walk along the river and is right on the camino. I will stay there again when I return in future.

We have stayed a couple of times with Jean François at Donamaria. Great spot. 5 minutes up the river path from town. Great guy good English. Incredibly helpful. Amazing breakfast. Rated number 1 or 2 on trip advisor. You will want to stay 2 nights. 😜😜😜

Maison Donamaria
1 Chemin d’Olhonce
64220 Saint Jean Pied de Port
France

www.donamaria.fr
cell : 0033 / 661 90 29 21

PLAY Donamaria's Vidéo :

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My daughter and I stayed in a lovely private room at Gite Bidean this spring. A great place with wonderful hosts.

I don't have advice but looks like there's great info from others! Just wanted to share that my husband and I start just the day prior. Maybe we will get to say hello. ¡Buen Camino!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back