• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Boadilla del Camino

• Thread starter Deleted member 88565
  • Start date
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
OK...please feel free to delete my post. I thought I was being helpful - I can assure you that I remained calm and polite throughout the process but as my post content is 'frowned' upon, please delete as I do not wish to misguide.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
And, for the record, I am not a demanding tourist....I am a Pilgrim who is most thankful for the Albergues, businesses and locals who are helping me on my way. I am also a person who pays his way and should, reasonably, be afforded the courtesy of good service and product value.

It is not incumbent on me, as a pilgrim, to expect anything. On a pilgrimage, it is incumbent on me to be thankful for everything. Even when I perceive bad service, I can be thankful for a lesson in patience, humility, and, yes, the fact that I did, in fact, receive something that met my needs of food and/or shelter. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I can only add: walk another, less touristic camino. This may change your point of view.

There may be situations, in which you feel grateful for being offered "old" bread because it is preferable to having no breakfast at all.

It is also important to understand, that most spanish bakers do not start baking during the night, but do it during normal working hours. So it is unlikely to get fresh bread in a bar before 10 or 11 in the morning. This also explains why magdalenas and tostadas are so popular for breakfast.

On Sundays and Holidays it is even more difficult. I can remember desperate attempts to find an open bar for coffee, but everything was closed.

The more Caminos I walked the less demanding I became. It is not nice to have no coffee and no fresh bread in the morning, but it won´t kill you.

And you may experience unexpected kindness. I can remember that we tried to buy some fresh bread in a "tienda" (small Supermarket) in Calzadilla de los Barros on Via de la Plata. The owner explained to us, that there was no bread left from the previous day, so our choice was to buy magdalenas or walk hungry, as new bread would not be delivered before noon and there was no bar open in this village. When I explained that my father (then 74) did not like sweets for breakfast and would be grumbling the rest of this day without a proper breakfast, she phoned her daughter who was the owner of the local discotheque. Her daughter agreed to reopen her discotheque and to make some coffee for us. So she sent us to the discotheque. The daughter prepared some coffee and had brought all the remaining bread she had found at her house. It was only one and a half bocadillo for the three of us and it was old bread which she had to toast for us. But nevertheless it was great!

BC
Alexandra

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I can only add: walk another, less touristic camino. This may change your point of view.

There may be situations, in which you feel grateful for being offered "old" bread because it is preferable to having no breakfast at all.

It is also important to understand, that most spanish bakers do not start baking during the night, but do it during normal working hours. So it is unlikely to get fresh bread in a bar before 10 or 11 in the morning. This also explains why magdalenas and tostadas are so popular for breakfast.

On Sundays and Holidays it is even more difficult. I can remember desperate attempts to find an open bar for coffee, but everything was closed.

The more Caminos I walked the less demanding I became. It is not nice to have no coffee and no fresh bread in the morning, but it won´t kill you.

And you may experience unexpected kindness. I can remember that we tried to buy some fresh bread in a "tienda" (small Supermarket) in Calzadilla de los Barros on Via de la Plata. The owner explained to us, that there was no bread left from the previous day, so our choice was to buy magdalenas or walk hungry, as new bread would not be delivered before noon and there was no bar open in this village. When I explained that my did not like sweets for breakfast and would be grumbling the rest of this day without a proper breakfast, she phoned her daughter who was the owner of the local discotheque. Her daughter agreed to reopen her discotheque and to make some coffee for us. So she sent us to the discotheque. The daughter prepared some coffee and had brought all the remaining bread she had found at her house. It was only one and a half bocadillo for the three of us and it was old bread which she had to toast for us. But nevertheless it was great!

BC
Alexandra
@Via2010, I’m not sure that I’m getting the moral of your story 😉🤔 ... other than that you prefer stale bread for breakfast instead of magdalenas? Because I’d assume that the model humble pilgrim - who never demands, is grateful for everything and wouldn’t dream of mentioning something that was not wonderful on the Camino to a soul on this earth - would buy and eat the magdalenas on offer without further ado when there’s no bread for sale in the shop? Or is this the message of the story: when you do not accept immediately and gratefully something better will be offered??? 🙃

@Via2010, I’m not sure that I’m getting the moral of your story 😉🤔 ... other than that you prefer stale bread for breakfast instead of magdalenas? Because I’d assume that the model humble pilgrim - who never demands, is grateful for everything and wouldn’t dream of mentioning something that was not wonderful on the Camino to a soul on this earth - would buy and eat the magdalenas on offer without further ado when there’s no bread for sale in the shop? Or is this the message of the story: when you do not accept immediately and gratefully something better will be offered??? 🙃

Sorry Kathar1na,

you seem to have misunderstood the whole story.

I only wanted to express, that there are situations, in which you feel extremely grateful, because you would not have expected anything at all.

Being a modest and humble pilgrim does not mean, that you are not allowed to ask for something else which suits more to your specific needs. But you should appreciate any attempt to fulfil your requirements.

Such was this situation. We saw that there was no bread and asked, when the baker would arrive or if there was a bar (which we had not seen so far) in this village. The shop-owner told us that we should wait and went to the phone.

As you state, it seemed to be a take-it-or-leave-it-situation. We were prepared to buy some "magdalenas" of "tostadas" (ready-roasted bread) instead, when the shop-owner herself came up with the idea that her daughter might do us a breakfast.

We did not expect this at all, but it was impossible to refuse this offer and I would never have thought of complaining about the old bread or that the breakfast offered was not sufficient for three hungry pilgrims.

If you have learnt from this story, that it is worth to be demanding, as you might be offered a "better" alternative, then you have got it wrong.

I learnt, that it is best not to expect anything and that the local people are extremely willing to help pilgrims who have brought themselves in an uncomfortable situation.

We could have easily avoided our "problem" by buying some bread the previous day. But as we had choosen not to do so we were not entitled to be disappointed, that we did not find what my dad considered a proper breakfast.

Marathonman should also take into consideration, if he had asked for bread at an unusual time/unusual place (an albergue is no bakery).

BC
Alexandra

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Marathon man should also take into consideration, if he had asked for bread at an unusual time/unusual place (an albergue is no bakery).
I remember the “Albergue Titas” in Boadilla because we stopped there for drinks. I also checked up on it right now. It’s a bar/restaurant with a few pilgrim beds attached to it, it’s not exclusively for pilgrims but claims to be “oriented towards pilgrims” which I think is business code for cheap beds and meals.

I find it a pity that @Marathonman has erased the initial post in this thread but it doesn’t completely surprise me, given the subsequent posts - well meaning as they are no doubt.

Pity.

I don't understand why Marathon Man was shut down for making a negative post. There are TONS of those on the forum, and if you do a search of Albergue Titas, you will see this guy has built himself a pretty bad rep over the years.
Ivar is not in the advertising/PR business. If you serve me an overpriced, nasty lunch and treat me badly, I will tell everyone I can to stay away. That's reality.
It's personal attacks, and "bedbug alerts," and "I came down with a bad stomach here so the water is poisoned" posts that can really hurt a business. Let the pilgrim beware.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

And you may experience unexpected kindness. I can remember that we tried to buy some fresh bread in a "tienda" (small Supermarket) in Calzadilla de los Barros on Via de la Plata. The owner explained to us, that there was no bread left from the previous day, so our choice was to buy magdalenas or walk hungry, as new bread would not be delivered before noon and there was no bar open in this village. When I explained that my father (then 74) did not like sweets for breakfast and would be grumbling the rest of this day without a proper breakfast, she phoned her daughter who was the owner of the local discotheque. Her daughter agreed to reopen her discotheque and to make some coffee for us. So she sent us to the discotheque. The daughter prepared some coffee and had brought all the remaining bread she had found at her house. It was only one and a half bocadillo for the three of us and it was old bread which she had to toast for us. But nevertheless it was great!

BC
Alexandra
When I was a child (aged about 5 years old) we had periods of "lack of wealth" I was the youngest of 5, one day I complained about the bread being hard. My father replied that it would be harder if there were none. He was not angry, he just said it in a resigned sort of way, I still remember that 50 years later when I consider complaining about the lot in my life.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've eaten less than appetizing meals in a spirit of gratitude and humility. No problem with that. I'm also no stranger to hard, dry, bread . Peasant thrift dictates that I reheat it, make a pudding out of it, or do something else to make the best use of it rather than throwing it away.
But if I were charged a high price for stale bread and ignored when I raise the issue, the phrase "Don't p**** on my leg and tell me it's raining," would cross my mind. I might not say it out loud, but there it is. I'm not pilgrim enough to accept being ripped off by people who think that passing trade is there for them to exploit as the Camino's gracious lesson.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back