• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Boat from Vilanova De Arousa

GracieMarnelle

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues - May 2019
Hi All, I will be commencing the Camino Portugues on May 13th from Porto and am keen to complete the variance espiritual route. I have to be in Santiago by the 23rd May (11 full days put aside) so I guess i'm on a bit of a tight schedule.

I am planning on taking the boat from Vilanova De Arousa but slightly worried about the availability of the boat and how this will impact my schedule if not available. If anyone could share their experience it will be greatly appreciated.

Is it obvious where to arrange a spot on the boat, and where to catch it? is it possible to walk that day and make up for not taking the boat(if not available)? Also as it is in the last 100km, will this impact my ability to get a Compostela in Santiago seeing as I technically wouldn't of walked the last 100km?

Thanks,
Gracie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
HI @GracieMarnelle. Boat times are ruled by the tide times. I took the boat last year. Due to the tide it didn’t set off until 10:00 but I continued into Santiago, arriving around 18:00. Also the type of boat will depend on the number of passengers. When I took it they used a small rib which was packed with 21 pilgrims and crew, but if there are more a larger boat will be used. When you arrive at your accommodation in Villanova you can book your spot on the boat with your host/hospitalero. Photos and description can be seen here.

Last edited:
Hi All, I will be commencing the Camino Portugues on May 13th from Porto and am keen to complete the variance espiritual route. I have to be in Santiago by the 23rd May (11 full days put aside) so I guess i'm on a bit of a tight schedule.

I am planning on taking the boat from Vilanova De Arousa but slightly worried about the availability of the boat and how this will impact my schedule if not available. If anyone could share their experience it will be greatly appreciated.

Is it obvious where to arrange a spot on the boat, and where to catch it? is it possible to walk that day and make up for not taking the boat(if not available)? Also as it is in the last 100km, will this impact my ability to get a Compostela in Santiago seeing as I technically wouldn't of walked the last 100km?

Thanks,
Gracie
Walking /sailing the Variante Espiritual you can apply for the Compostela once arriving in Santiago as long as you collect two stamps a day from a point that is at least 100 kms from Santiago .
On the Portuguese caminho that can be Tui or Baiona (even on this forum they talk about Vigo !? what I doubt .)

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
When we arrived at the albergue we told the person in charge that we wanted to take the boat the next day. He put us on a list and said that later that afternoon he would call the boat captain to book a boat based on the number of seats needed. Word of caution-even on a warm day, if the boat is open to the elements, put on your raincoat and raincover on your pack as there will be lots of spray and breeze!

I walked this route last May. There is a widely publicized number that you can call to make a reservation for the boat. If you search the threads on this forum for boat Espiritual Variante you'll find the contact info. We didn't stay at the albergue. The woman who checked us in for our apartment that we rented made the call for me. We went to the bar near the boat dock the next morning around 8a (8:30 departure was planned for that day) and joined the other people who were waiting for the boat. It was pouring rain as the ride started. We all huddled in the boat in our ponchos.

I should also point out if there was a problem with the boat you can continue to walk along the coast from Vilanova de Arousa to Vilagarcia de Arousa (about 12 km) then continue following the River Ulla to Padron (about 25 km).The route is well marked see http://www.osalnes.com/en/

The variation is official so counts when getting your compostela if you started in Tui or Baiona.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
HI @GracieMarnelle. Boat times rare ruled by the tide times. I took the boat last year. Due to the tide it didn’t set off until 10:00 but I continued into Santiago, arriving around 18:00. Also the type of boat will depend on the number of passengers. When I took it they used a small rib which was packed with 21 pilgrims and crew, but if there are more a larger boat will be used. When you arrive at your accommodation in Villanova you can book your spot on the boat with your host/hospitalero. Photos and description can be seen here.

Hi @Magwood, Thanks so much for replying and sharing the blog, was a good read and great to see what the boat looked like. Crazy to think that many people were able to fit on the boat.

When we arrived at the albergue we told the person in charge that we wanted to take the boat the next day. He put us on a list and said that later that afternoon he would call the boat captain to book a boat based on the number of seats needed. Word of caution-even on a warm day, if the boat is open to the elements, put on your raincoat and raincover on your pack as there will be lots of spray and breeze!
Thanks for the tips, will be sure to get my raincoat ready!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I should also point out if there was a problem with the boat you can continue to walk along the coast from Vilanova de Arousa to Vilagarcia de Arousa (about 12 km) then continue following the River Ulla to Padron (about 25 km).The route is well marked see http://www.osalnes.com/en/

The variation is official so counts when getting your compostela if you started in Tui or Baiona.
Thanks for the helpful tips, great to know there are other options to the boat. And now have peace of mind regarding my compostela!

The number for the boat is in the Brierley book (edition that includes spiritual variant.) Defintely call ahead, maybe a day or two. We left a bunch of sad pilgrims on the dock who had just shown up. Once you know the departure time it will help you determine your walking to/from. The Espiritual Variant was one of our favorite parts.

Thanks,
Gracie
I agree with folks here about how to get the boat ride, I was really tired arriving there but at the "sporting center" albergue they sold the boat ride and the night sleep for 26E. Magwood already gave you her blog, but I also talk and write about it here
https://sound-and-bites.home.blog/
There seems to be some disagreement about if it "counts" or not, some feel it is "official as part of the camino" some feel that you have to walk the 28 or so K extra to qualify. I walked from much further south and still worried - it is a long walk. When you look at the info on the English Way, one is too short to count and you have to demonstrate you walked in the British Isles before you started the shorter English Way, so, there is a lot to figure out sometimes.
I did see, but cannot locate now, a tour company company that told potential customers that if they took the boat they needed to start before Tui to make up the missed miles - so, I would trust that info. myself. If I find it I will post that here for you.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Thanks,
Gracie

QUESTION: if you start in Lisbon do you still need to get two stamps in the last 100kms?

QUESTION: if you start in Lisbon do you still need to get two stamps in the last 100kms?
Yes, that is the most important thing to do - it is easy, just stop twice to eat and get stamps and you are golden during your compostela interview when you get there!!

I read a story somewhere of a group of pilgrims who walked the Frances Camino over several years in stages, but one year they took a bus part of the way into Santiago because they were tired. At their interview they were told no compostela, and they left and said "OK, see you next year" ! lol

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes, that is the most important thing to do - it is easy, just stop twice to eat and get stamps and you are golden during your compostela interview when you get there!!

I read a story somewhere of a group of pilgrims who walked the Frances Camino over several years in stages, but one year they took a bus part of the way into Santiago because they were tired. At their interview they were told no compostela, and they left and said "OK, see you next year" ! lol
Oh that's important to know....thanks for the heads up. Buen Camino

Oh that's important to know....thanks for the heads up. Buen Camino
they were within the 100K zone when they took a bus into Santiago - outside of the 100K zone you can walk, bus, train, or do as you need to get closer to Santiago of course, but once you hit that 100 K zone - its walk or no Compostela so goes the rule. Buen Camino!

I leave in less than two weeks to walk the Fisherman's Trail in Portugal before heading north to Porto to start the Camino on May 2nd. I plan to take the Spiritual Variant and am hoping to take the boat, too. This thread is very helpful!
I'm planning this route for next year, God willing. Do you mind sharing your experience, number of days/kms walked, albergues you recommend...? Thanks!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Thanks,
Gracie
I'm planning this route for next year, God willing. Do you mind sharing your experience, the number of days you walked and how many kms you walked each day, albergues you recommend and the like, please?Thanks!

Anybody actually wants to share their experience walking Porto to Santiago (via Variante Espiritual)? The number of days it took and the kms walked each day, albergues recommended and the like? Thanks!

I'm planning this route for next year, God willing. Do you mind sharing your experience, number of days/kms walked, albergues you recommend...? Thanks!
Hi Celi, I started in Porto on May 1st, 2019 after one day touring Porto as I had been to that lovely city 2 years earlier. I had pretty good weather overall, and enjoyed this less difficult route with only one major climb. I did have a really bad cough/cold and had fractured two ribs on the Fisherman's Trail the week before, causing me to take a taxi for a portion of one stage and a train to skip a full stage. In spite of my ailments I continued on and had a wonderful time!

My favorite daily averages to walk are 20-25 kilometers, so I tried to stay within that limit most days...
Porto- Oporto Invictus Hostel
Matosinhos- Fishtail Sea House*
Vila do Conde- Venseslau Wine Hotel*
Barcelos- In Barcelos Hostel/Guest House*
Ponte de Lima- Terraco da Vila
Rubais- Casa das Lages
Tui- Albergue Santo Domingo
(Skipped Porrino)
Redondella- Santiago Apostel de Redondella
Pontevedra- Slow City Hostel
SPIRITUAL VARIANT
Combarro- Casa da Chousa*
Amenteira- Municipal Albergue*
Villanueva de Arosa- Hotel Arco Iris*
(Boat) to Padron- (then train to Santiago due to time constraints)
Santiago- Hotel Plazos Alba (2 nights)*

A total of 14 days on the Portuguese Camino before flying home.

I have put an asterick* by my personal favorite lodgings, but all were adequate and I had no bad experiences staying anywhere.

Happy planning!

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back