• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Boat to Padron in March?

irrie

Time of past OR future Camino
2023 Camino Portugues 2024 Via Francigena
This year I walked the camino frances. Next year I want to walk the camino portugues from Porto to Santiago de C. Starting with the camino litoral to Vila do Conde, then switching to the camino Central. I would then like to walk the camino espiritual, but I am a little worried about the boatride. I will be walking in march. The boat to Padron only sails when there are enough people (8?), but will there be enough people taking the boat that time of year? I don’t want to get stuck in Vilanova de arousa.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi irrie !
I used the boat last September and received this as a response from Bahia sub about the boat!
From it's content it looks like it won't be running in March.
Good Morning
Thanks so much for your message! And sorry the delay ,

We start the trips on the 30th of May and (if the covid situation is correct) we offer the route every day until 31th of November.
I would contact them to verify:
Reservas
www.bahiasub.com

(prefix country code not sure what that is from Netherlands) 607 911 523
Hope this helps
Woody

Thank you Woody! I will contact the boating companies to check if there are departures in march.

I saw that there is a train from Vilagarcia de Arousa to Padron, so we won’t get stuck in Vilanova de Arousa😀. 36 km walking to Padron is too much for me.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have contacted Bahia and a Mare and they both will sail, with a minimum of 8 people. So if there are less than 8 people I will hike to Vilagarcia and take the train to Padron.

Hi irrie!
Well that's good news!

I think it was Nick (jungleboy) who said that something similar was said to him about 8 people being required to take the boat.
But he said if i remember correctly, that if there were fewer you could pay a bit extra each to cover what the cost of the eight pilgrim trip would be !
Depends how much you want to do the boat!
I waited two years to go on the boat as part of my Camino (i wanted to go in the rigid inflatable speedboat it looked exciting but cold :) and would have happily paid the whole amount for 8 just to go on my own )
Hope that you have a great Camino boat or no boat!
All the best
Woody

This year I walked the camino frances. Next year I want to walk the camino portugues from Porto to Santiago de C. Starting with the camino litoral to Vila do Conde, then switching to the camino Central. I would then like to walk the camino espiritual, but I am a little worried about the boatride. I will be walking in march. The boat to Padron only sails when there are enough people (8?), but will there be enough people taking the boat that time of year? I don’t want to get stuck in Vilanova de arousa.
Hi there! I will be walking the CP, visiting Lisbon and Coimbra, and then officially starting the Camino in Porto on March 26ish. I don't know anything about a boat. Please tell!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi there! I will be walking the CP, visiting Lisbon and Coimbra, and then officially starting the Camino in Porto on March 26ish. I don't know anything about a boat. Please tell!
Search for camino espiritual in this forum.

I think it was Nick (jungleboy) who said that something similar was said to him about 8 people being required to take the boat.
It was a minimum of five at the time (Oct 2020). But there are multiple companies and it might be different for each one.

The boat is at the end of the Variante Espiritual, a variant of the CP starting just after Pontevedra. If you’re interested, here are my highlights of the Variante Espiritual.

We took the boat with A Mare last April. It was certainly one of the highlights of our Camino. I communicated with them a number of times prior to booking using What’s App (their number is 34650410322) and found them most helpful. I would think that they could give you a rough idea as to the number of pilgrims they typically transport in March.

Taking the VE is definitely worth your while. After a good climb out of Combarro, you’re treated to the lovely Monestario de Armenteira. At the time of year we were there, we were able to book a room at the monastery for one night and attend the pilgrims mass. In Vilanova de Arousa, Albergue A Salazon is quite nice (both private and shared rooms available) and just a very short walk to the dock where we met the boat the next morning for the hour and fifteen minute ride to Padrón. After arriving in Padrón we stopped at the municipal albergue where we picked up our Padróna certificate for having completed the VE. It was a special day on the Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We took the boat with A Mare last April. It was certainly one of the highlights of our Camino. I communicated with them a number of times prior to booking using What’s App (their number is 34650410322) and found them most helpful. I would think that they could give you a rough idea as to the number of pilgrims they typically transport in March.

Taking the VE is definitely worth your while. After a good climb out of Combarro, you’re treated to the lovely Monestario de Armenteira. At the time of year we were there, we were able to book a room at the monastery for one night and attend the pilgrims mass. In Vilanova de Arousa, Albergue A Salazon is quite nice (both private and shared rooms available) and just a very short walk to the dock where we met the boat the next morning for the hour and fifteen minute ride to Padrón. After arriving in Padrón we stopped at the municipal albergue where we picked up our Padróna certificate for having completed the VE. It was a special day on the Camino.
Thanks for that very useful information, thats a big help!!. I walked the CP from Lisbon then did the coastal and VE route in May/June 2019 taking the boat, so know the route. But this year I am going to walk from Porto in April, the same route then on to Finisterre.

Just wanted to check with you regarding the weather. I imagine there will be the wet days, and cooler days etc, I'm trying to travel light so taking the bare minimum. How cold were they coldest days? and was the rain pretty consistant or a sprinkle here and there? I'm trying to decide if I really need the waterproof trail shoes or if I can get away with the runners that I usually wear. Thanks for any info.

Thanks for that very useful information, thats a big help!!. I walked the CP from Lisbon then did the coastal and VE route in May/June 2019 taking the boat, so know the route. But this year I am going to walk from Porto in April, the same route then on to Finisterre.

Just wanted to check with you regarding the weather. I imagine there will be the wet days, and cooler days etc, I'm trying to travel light so taking the bare minimum. How cold were they coldest days? and was the rain pretty consistant or a sprinkle here and there? I'm trying to decide if I really need the waterproof trail shoes or if I can get away with the runners that I usually wear. Thanks for any info.
Our weather last April, both in Portugal and then through Galicia, was great! Both of our spring Portugal Caminos were quite dry and warm. We hit a bit of light rain, but nothing serious nor anything that a rain jacket didn’t take care of. But, with that said, we’ve also walked in day after day rain in Galicia (our 2018 Camino Inglés). Therefore, we do carry rain gear and enough layers to stay warm if need be. In any case, and because you already know this route, I think your runners will be fine. Even if you do hit rain, your running shoes will dry out quickly and you’ll be all set for the next morning. We, too, travel relatively light (our backpack weight is around 6 kgs). Bom Caminho!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Our weather last April, both in Portugal and then through Galicia, was great! Both of our spring Portugal Caminos were quite dry and warm. We hit a bit of light rain, but nothing serious nor anything that a rain jacket didn’t take care of. But, with that said, we’ve also walked in day after day rain in Galicia (our 2018 Camino Inglés). Therefore, we do carry rain gear and enough layers to stay warm if need be. In any case, and because you already know this route, I think your runners will be fine. Even if you do hit rain, your running shoes will dry out quickly and you’ll be all set for the next morning. We, too, travel relatively light (our backpack weight is around 6 kgs). Bom Caminho!
Much appreciated 🙏 your feedback has eased my mind re the footwear!! Excitement is building 🤩

Most read last week in this forum

Any advice about places to stay in Armenteira? I am doing my first Camino starting May 2, and I had planned on doing the Spiritual Variant. However, it seems like there are limited options for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back