• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Boat trip

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I did the boat trip last week and loved it. The guide, appropriately named Santiago, explains the mussel farms, the clam rakers, the cruces you pass and even handed out hot tea and a biscuit mid way. The time the boat makes the trip depends upon the tides so you should call ahead a day or two to find out departure time. While the trip is not a wet one if the sun is out I found wearing my poncho worked well in keeping me warm as a wind breaker and kept the little of the splash off too. There seems to be two different boats that go. One you get a ticket from the Alburgue in town (it looked like there was only one in the town.)
The boat I took is offered by Bahia-sub phone #607 911 523. They speak English. The cost was €19 and they take your money when you get on the boat. The boat is a hard hulled inflatable Zodiac. It can hold up to 20 people. We had 7 the day I went and it was their second trip that morning. There seems to be some back and forth about doing the boat trip and getting your Credential, I believe t2andro, who volunteers at the pilgrim office, said they are accepting the boat trip.

I did the boat trip last week and loved it. The guide, appropriately named Santiago, explains the mussel farms, the clam rakers, the cruces you pass and even handed out hot tea and a biscuit mid way. The time the boat makes the trip depends upon the tides so you should call ahead a day or two to find out departure time. While the trip is not a wet one if the sun is out I found wearing my poncho worked well in keeping me warm as a wind breaker and kept the little of the splash off too. There seems to be two different boats that go. One you get a ticket from the Alburgue in town (it looked like there was only one in the town.)
The boat I took is offered by Bahia-sub phone #607 911 523. They speak English. The cost was €19 and they take your money when you get on the boat. The boat is a hard hulled inflatable Zodiac. It can hold up to 20 people. We had 7 the day I went and it was their second trip that morning. There seems to be some back and forth about doing the boat trip and getting your Credential, I believe t2andro, who volunteers at the pilgrim office, said they are accepting the boat trip.
Great recap of the boat ride. I just took it two weeks ago and it was so professional! I loved Santiago, the captain!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes - unmissable - with a very knowledgeable local guide/boat driver and things you will not see from the shore BUT you will disqualify from obtaining a credential in Santiago (see other threads)
I took boat ride and got compostela,you need to demonstrate you walked the 100 K - and the boat miles do not count, so you need to start before Tui to qualify and get the miles done. I wrote about my worries about that and what happened with my boat ride - in the sleet I might add lol!
you can scroll down and see my boat trip pictures and thoughts here
https://sound-and-bites.home.blog/

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Totally worth it! If you are lucky the weather will be sunny and bright and there will be wine and the local mussels served as in the case of my trip in July of 2017.

Totally worth it! If you are lucky the weather will be sunny and bright and there will be wine and the local mussels served as in the case of my trip in July of 2017.
or it will be sleeting and you will be underdressed like I was lol (but that was April) - but he did stop to pull out the mussels and he did motor up to a clamming boat! There is a video of that on my blog that i think is pretty cool!

Yes - unmissable - with a very knowledgeable local guide/boat driver and things you will not see from the shore BUT you will disqualify from obtaining a credential in Santiago (see other threads)
I did the boat trip - and have my compostela proudly on my wall - it is an amazing, mystical experience where you pass over a dozen ancient crosses erected to St. James. Was told the alternative, walking along a busy highway, is an absolutely to be missed experience. DO IT!!58395

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The day I went a couple of weeks ago there were so many pilgrims that instead of a 7am & 9am boat they put ran one large sightseeing boat at 9am. I was quite glad not to do the journey out of doors.View attachment 58256
i was on the open rubber raft in the sleet lol - that ride looks wonderful!

The day I went a couple of weeks ago there were so many pilgrims that instead of a 7am & 9am boat they put ran one large sightseeing boat at 9am. I was quite glad not to do the journey out of doors.View attachment 58256
That is my son and myself standing on the upper deck! 😃

Old original post, but still worth discussing! It was cold and dark when we boarded in late October 2021, so we were pleased it was a larger boat and not the rubber zodiac some get. Enjoyed it immensely, especially seeing the harvesting of mussels which we just happened to catch (not always part of the ride). But it is just a boat ride, so if you are expecting the miraculous, then you’ll likely be disappointed. Kind of like the rest of the Camino: expect nothing, appreciate everything.

Hi!
Did the boat on 8th October! I was really looking forward to the ridged speedboat It looked so fast!
However i was in Villanova de Arousa for two nights and there were loads of pilgrims taking the boat both days;not sure if the ridged was used as large boat was full and it carried 150 passengers!
As said above unmissable part of the Variante the atmosphere on the boat was great.
I say in the vid they are singing in Spanish but someone later said Portuguese sorry for my ignorance still not sure!
You will love it!!!
All the best Woody

Attachments

• VID-20211008-WA0028.mp4
    24.3 MB
  • VID-20211008-WA0026.mp4
    15.3 MB
  • VID-20211008-WA0000.mp4
    15.3 MB
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Wow! 150 passengers?!?!? And I thought ours was large at 20 or so!!! 30 second 3E20E51D-CFC8-4A55-81D7-DF840047237D.jpegvideo at

Most read last week in this forum

Any advice about places to stay in Armenteira? I am doing my first Camino starting May 2, and I had planned on doing the Spiritual Variant. However, it seems like there are limited options for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back