• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Body wear n tear

almhath

I only walk a few miles a day, planning to walk the Camino Frances. I am usually pretty good at endurance things, but I'm pretty worn down by long-term stressors. I have collected great gear.

I read a lot about all the effects of the Camino on feet, all the work to prevent blisters, shin splints, plantar faciitis..... Then I hear someone else refer to it as a long trek more than a hike, and I remember people's in history who have had to undergo long treks as refugees.

With no further info, I could leave on the Camino sometime, and do well with what I already know. Thanks to all of you.

But even with all that, all my prep, I know, knowing me, there is no way to avoid crawling into Pamplona on my hands n knees (quasi-humorous hyperbole) wishing I had brought that other pair of footwear instead of whatever I brought.

With that in mind, I thought I'd ask for ideas about what kinds of wear n tear the feet encounter (or ankles, or knees), and how that relates to our design as humans.

Are we really designed for sustained daily walking of 20K or so, just lazy in modern living where we take the car to the kitchen?

Or are we really designed only for moderate walking, where we can do longer daily walks like 20K, but to do it could have negative long-range effects for tissues.

(All with good equipment)

Why I ask? Because when I crawl into Pamplona--or worse crawl up to and roll over the top of the Pyrenees--I will feel better, and tell myself my question is merely getting-in-shape related, and not so much greenie-newbie, made-a-mistake related.

Thank you.

Almha.
iPhone

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
"Are we really designed for sustained daily walking of 20K or so, just lazy in modern living where we take the car to the kitchen?"

The health gurus here in the UK are telling us that we should walk at least 10,000 paces a day (about 5 miles) just to maintain our health. If you could reach that level of fitness then the extra walking that you would do on the Camino should present few problems.
You also mention stressors. The exercise/training you'd do to build up your fitness levels is a great antidote to stress.
Go when you feel you're ready. You will be.

I much prefer Darwin to design, but that said, you are right to say that our modern life appears to be quite different from what we will do on a pilgrimage. My observation of the stresses and strains we place on ourselves on the Camino include:
  • many people start off carrying too much weight, and not just in their packs. This puts more strain on the joints to carry it around, and the heart and lungs to keep it all going.
  • walking 20km is about 25,000 steps, and that is 25,000 times you be moving your sock between your skin and your footwear. If your feet are not well prepared and the skin hardened and tough, they will blister.
  • At the same time, some of us have been pushing our feet into street shoes for 20, 30 or 40 years, and have bunions, bent toes, turned under little toes, etc etc. These all create pressure points on our feet, and another place to blister.
  • While on camino, many will carry too little water, try to hoard it and not drink before they get thirsty, then begin to dehydrate with its attendant risks.
  • ... and I could go on.

Amazingly, and despite all of this, so many people complete their Camino.

My worst days were thinking about whether I was going to make it to Santiago. Immediately, the mind puts up all the reasons one mightn't, and these have to be overcome. In contrast, thinking you can do it makes the day much more pleasant. Perhaps you should try to achieve that state of mind.

Regards,

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Almha!

I see the physical impact of the Camino on 2 levels. You will sometimes have a temporary issue such as blisters, cramp, tweaked muscle etc to deal with. However on the other hand you'll feel your overall strength and fitness improve.

What can you do, eh? :D

Buen Camino!

I think it is important to determine whether the physical condition is temporary or actual damage. A sore muscle will go away with treatment or rest, as will nutritional deficiencies. A sprain, tendonitis, torn muscle, ACL tear, etc. will not improve quickly, and continuing to walk may cause further damage. A blister is temporary, but an infected blister can be life-threatening. You get stronger by pushing yourself a bit, but you can also break something by pushing too hard. Finding the nuance can be the difference between a great camino and a bad one.

One needs a certain amount of grit to keep going when the going has gotten tough, but do not use that same grit to keep going when you should not. Stubbornness is not the same as commitment! Know when to quit (or simply rest a few days) but still know that the commitment is still there.

However, if the condition is solely in your head, get over yourself and gut it out!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Sometimes one becomes weary of the day after day routine of the camino. Just repetitive landscape at times, too many people around, the same food, overall body aches - whatever it is. This is not the time to give up and go home - it's easy just to take a break. It can be one or several days just taking time out, staying in a hotel and just renewing yourself. It can do wonders for you, your spirit and your body. And it's why you should build a little extra room into your itinerary. Not everyone needs this sort of break, but it's best to plan for a few extra days for it just in case. And it definitely is not "cheating", so don't feel badly for it.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Today i am laid up in palace de rei. Second injury from st jean a month a go, its a
real pain cos im ready to go home now. The camino is a test of endurance. Keep that pack light! I am forced over 10 kilos but try and get 8 kiloz. You will be ok. Its a beautiful trip of architectural, scenic andgastronomic interest. its tough in the winter.

Hi Wingnut!

I hope you're OK. You're so close and all the hard work is done! If you can rest up for a while and then do the few more days it will be amazing. If not, the Camino and Santiago are going nowhere so you can finish another time.

The winter weather has been a nightmare for the duration of your Camino. Respect.

Buen Camino!

Hi Almath,
the endurance question is always, ultimately, a personal one but you asked "Are we really designed for sustained daily walking of 20k or so". The short answer is yes, though I prefer evolved to designed - the outcome is pretty much the same. The human body is a remarkable example of a highly adaptive and enduring entity. The San people of southern Africa still, despite their attrition in modern times, hunt by running down their prey. They will run in pursuit of prey species for hours, into days. Species that evolved to sprint eg antelope may escape a first approach but will succumb to relentless pursuit. Much like crooked politicians. The Innuit, before the myth of global warming made their world go soggy round the edges, could and would endure hours of exquisite stillness in their deeply frozen world waiting for that one unfortunate seal to gasp it's last breath.

Human beings are the most remarkably enduring creatures on this remarkable planet. We have survived and thrived through everything that nature and nurture has produced so far. We have travelled from mother Africa to the far corners of the globe long,long, before the Airbus 350 shortened the travel time.

Can you walk that far, for that long, along that path? Yes, you can.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Wow. Great.

Yes. Sorry. My use of the word "designed" comes from being married to an engineer.

It is great to hear such good responses.

I'm sure I will hack it through, when I get there. Thank you :)

Almha

trick #27 for a happy outing....
identify all variables that could lead to unhappiness
physical
mental
equipment
write down ways to limit said unhappiness
so, body wear and tear can be tested prior to the event
by visiting physical professionals
careful selection of kit
training body in gym environment
training with all kit in simulated environment
repeating frequently
until your headspace meets your bodyspace
the real test is when stuff goes wrong in a training environment, and you can push through
knowing that you have the mental and physical fortitude
without this, at the first sign trouble, you might be tempted to bail
prematurely

Or you could just spare yourself the grief of over-analyzing everything and do like the guy did in "The Way." Strap on the kit you have, get yourself to a starting point, and start walking. Sure, you might suffer. You might not make it. You will figure it out as you walk.
With or without all the advance agonizing, fun as it is. You´re still going to figure our how/if it all works together only by walking.
You will probably make it just fine, too.
Use common sense.
But just do it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have walked 8 Caminos of various lengths wearing boots but walking in proper walking sandals as often as possible. Tevas.

if it is any help I walked the 2 legs of the Camino Inglés with an undiagnosed blocked heart artery in 2009. I didn't have a heart attack, but it took me 12 hours a day to get to my destination.

Take it at your pace, make sure you drink plenty of water, stop when you feel tired and carry high energy snacks.

Super fit pilgrims have had to go home early but in 2009 I met an 82 year old Itailian lady who had walked from SJPP to Santiago and she was now two days short of Finisterre and, yes, she was carrying her own rucksack. Crazy? Hell, yes, but we are not called Holy Fools for nothing.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.