• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Boiling socks...

hel&scott

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2004 St Jean - Santiago, 2008 &18 Seville - Finesterre, 2010 Ferrol - Lisbon, 2012 from Cartehenga.
Well it's more like a slow simmer... As I have a few days before I go I thought I'd take a closer look at my hi tech Camino socks. Washing en-route is never enough to get them clean, so they went through a number of vigorous machine cycles before being packed away waiting for their next outing. On taking a closer inspection I decided that they still looked pretty dire so have them simmering away in a pot to get out some of the deep ingrained trail dust (yes I checked the care instructions first). I am onto my third change of water and it is still turning black, it is not the dye, it's Camino dust. Well wait and see what the machine cycle achieves. Not really sure why I am bothering as when I hit the trail they will soon be back into their dusty feral selves, bit like me.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I don't usually wear socks with my sandals, and I have a similar problem with my feet! Last camino it took several hours of soaking in the thermal pools in Ourense before I felt that my feet were really clean. And that was in spite of serious application of soap and water each night. Mind you, the sunburn lines were also quite impressive.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I don't usually wear socks with my sandals, and I have a similar problem with my feet! Last camino it took several hours of soaking in the thermal pools in Ourense before I felt that my feet were really clean. And that was in spite of serious application of soap and water each night. Mind you, the sunburn lines were also quite impressive.
Yeah, I comit the fashion sin of socks and sandles on the Camino, as I grease my feet to prevent blisters I need the socks to help ward of grit.

My socks are now drying and actually stretch, I forgot they could do this, and whoa is that orange and white chevrons, who knew they had chevrons.

Bring on the Ourense hot pools, oh no damn, I was trying to keep the thermal delights of the Vdlp under wraps... No, no, this is not a pleasure cruise this is a way hard forced march well beyond pilgrims abilities.

As long as you boil them in your own pots ......
I am now scrubbing my pot, it's the one I only use for dying stuff and sterilising the tools used for pig ringing, so I think both my socks and taste buds are safe.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Mine were the same, I came home from the Camino, soaked and washed my socks and discovered that they were actually blue. By the time I walked to Santiago both pairs were a uniform grey.

Oh, those thermal pools in Ourense! Totally worth a night’s stopover en route to Madrid!
This was my feet at the end of a hot - and ambitious - walk from Ribadiso de Carretera to Lavacolla last year. Felt like I was carrying all the topsoil of Galicia that day!

Attachments

• 52583DE2-94D7-4643-BEB4-BA30A816E3D3.jpeg
    52583DE2-94D7-4643-BEB4-BA30A816E3D3.jpeg
    417 KB · Views: 36
If you want to see how effective your hand washing technique is try this. Wear a pair of new socks, hand wash, dry and wear again over two or three days. Then give the socks a good long soak in Oxi action/Vanish (whatever they sell in your locale) and see how filthy the water is - yeuk!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I only boiled my socks once.
While I was wearing them.
Walking across the Meseta in 40 degrees in hiking boots.
Didn't do my socks (or my feet) much good to be honest.

Davey

Yeah, I comit the fashion sin of socks and sandles on the Camino, as I grease my feet to prevent blisters I need the socks to help ward of grit.

My socks are now drying and actually stretch, I forgot they could do this, and whoa is that orange and white chevrons, who knew they had chevrons.
Hang on a sec here @hel&scott. You admit to the fashion sin of wearing socks and sandals, and you say you have retrieved the original orange and white chevrons of your socks ... and I gather the plan is to wear them again!!! My dearly departed mother-in-law always said that the British, unlike other nationalities, hold their eccentrics in high esteem. I love the British, and I hold you in high esteem. :D

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hang on a sec here @hel&scott. You admit to the fashion sin of wearing socks and sandals, and you say you have retrieved the original orange and white chevrons of your socks ... and I gather the plan is to wear them again!!! My dearly departed mother-in-law always said that the British, unlike other nationalities, hold their eccentrics in high esteem. I love the British, and I hold you in high esteem. :D
Despite my fashion spence and parsimony, I am not British, it's a long way from old blightey to NZ. I do admit to being eccentric, it's more polite then mad. My socks have only done about 3000kms on the Camino/s so there is plenty of go in them for one more.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Despite my fashion spence and parsimony, I am not British, it's a long way from old blightey to NZ. I do admit to being eccentric, it's more polite then mad. My socks have only done about 3000kms on the Camino/s so there is plenty of go in them for one more.
:) I didn't mean to imply that you were British; I know you are from down under. I was merely adopting the British embrace of their eccentrics, for this situation. As you say yourself, it is more polite to say someone is eccentric than to say he is mad. :D I'm an eccentric myself - some might say I am mad - but life is so much more interesting that way, isn't it? :)

3000kms? Mmm it probably is about time you gave 'em a wash then ;)

Goodnight and Good Luck to you all.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.