• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bomb explodes outside Pamplona University

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
A powerful car bomb exploded at a university in the Spanish city of Pamplona today wounding at least one person.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility but Spanish police arrested three suspected members of the armed Basque separatist group ETA on Tuesday in Pamplona and another in Valencia.
The bomb went off in a car park at the University of Navarra, setting other vehicles on fire and sending up a column of smoke.
“It was a very strong explosion, very powerful,” a university spokeswoman said.

Spanish National Radio said the bomb was apparently timed to go off at a busy period when many students and staff were walking across the campus and that there was major property damage from the blast.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Police has caught the person which mobile made the telephone call to give a previous advice, to know if he belongs to ETA.

The University of Pamplona has suffered other bombs exploding in the last years. In this explosion were injured 21 people.

When I was in Pamplona last year to walk Pamplona - Estella I park just in this area.

Buen Camino, which as much peace as possible

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Is this the University on the edge of Pamplona in park-like grounds that you pass as you are leaving Pamplona? We went into the registry there to get the stamps they offered for credencials.
Margaret

The Catholic News Agency posted this story this morning:

Terrorists bomb Catholic university in Spain
The University of Navarra, a Catholic school in Pamplona, Spain was bombed by the Basque separatist group ETA on Thursday morning. Initial estimates indicate that 21 people have been injured.
At around 11:00 a.m. a car-bomb exploded at a parking lot located between the main building and the Library of Humanities, injuring 21 people and destroying 20 vehicles.
"There were other small explosions after the fire set off by the fuel tanks in the parked cars nearby," Bernardino Leon, a University of Navarra professor, told the Antena 3 TV channel.

The bombing against Opus Dei-run University received immediate condemnation from the archbishop of Valencia, Cardinal Agustin García-Gasco, who called it "an act of abject inhumanity." "I express my deepest solidarity to this great community of students and my utmost repudiation of the terrorists' logic," he said on Thursday.
"This shows another expression of ETA's barbarism and culture of death," Cardinal García-Gasco said in a statement released to also express solidarity with the University's Supreme Chancellor and Opus Dei Prelate, Bishop Javier Echeverría.

"By attacking the University of Navarre, terrorists show where they stand: at the opposite of any human good," the cardinal concluded.
Ángel Gómez-Montoro, the rector of the University, reacted to the attack by saying, "we have decided to go back to normality as soon as possible," and "we will do it without fear or anger."

"This is the time to remember the importance of forgiveness, and we want to call the terrorists to stop making so many people suffer," he stressed.

University students and professors will hold a silent march of protest against violence at noon on October 31.

KiwiNomad06 said:
Is this the University on the edge of Pamplona in park-like grounds that you pass as you are leaving Pamplona? We went into the registry there to get the stamps they offered for credencials.
Margaret

This is the place where I parked and where I think the bomb explode. But if I'm wrong Javier can tell us the right place.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes, that is the university we went into, the University of Navarra. They had signs saying you could go in and get your credential stamped. We went in there on the morning of 2 June, to a desk in the main registry building, where they kindly stamped our credentials, as they must have done many mornings for many pilgrims.
Margaret

the bomb was at the Social Sciences building, which is off to the left of the Camino. See campus map, which marks the Camino. The university's front page shows the 3,000 who turned up for the minute's silence (seems to have been raining!); a similar event was held at the uni's other campus at San Sebastian.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne...
Hello, We are planning to hike the Camino with our young children in September. We aren't tied to a specific route, but we only have 10 days to walk and our kids can only do ~10 miles per day...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.