• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bombas Socks?

Brian E

Time of past OR future Camino
May/ 2018
May 2019
Sept 2019
For those in search of the perfect socks or best anti-blister prevention might want to research these. Just saw an ad on my FB feed. Apparently every pair sold they donate a pair to the homeless as well.

I did fine with blister prevention using Omnifix tape / vaseline with 1000 mile socks but maybe there is always something better. Anyone familiar with these?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I actually tried some, but didn't care for them as a hiking or backpacking sock. Like you, they intrigued me a bit from their marketing ads on an internet site. There was nothing that I could determine were unique about them when compared to some other cotton-based socks I wear around the house. For non-critical use, they were comfortable, though. :)

I am an advocate of 1000 mile socks. Used them to walk the Camino (entire length) and a couple of the national trails in Britain. I used the three season double layer socks and have had minimal blisters. By minimal I mean it would have been none (rather than the one or two) had I stopped to pay attention to my feet. I was pretty prone to blisters before these socks. Other socks would work as well. It's all about reducing the friction between your foot and something else. BTW, I didn't use any vaseline or other lub at all.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've found Bombas socks to be quite effective; especially their socks designed for long-distance hiking. I walk 5 or 6 miles in them in my primary walking shoes; trail runners. I change to Darn Tough socks and walk a couple miles in my Keen sandals, which I'll use in the shower. I change back to my trail runners with fresh Bombas socks and finish the day. No moleskin, tape, vaseline, or any other products used. Just good trail runners, two types of socks, and good sandals.

I wear Bombas all the time as regular socks. Aren't they 100% cotton? Thought that might not be good.

I have four pair of darn tough socks that have over 2,000 miles on them (combined). They have a lifetime guarantee, but have yet to fail me. So far no blisters, but that may just be my combination of socks and footwear (Salomans).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My feet have always been my achilles heel - pun intended. I have run a half marathon and hiked every available volcano in Guatemala - one thing is for certain, blisters come and go. Hiking on the Appalachian Trail presented new problems due to the sudden driving rains, frequent elevation changes and wet feet. My Oboz hiking boots are well broken in at this point and I'm awaiting superfeet replacement insoles as the previous ones have finally given out.

Finally, I believe I am arriving at a solution. I always pre-tape my feet now with moleskin in place on my identified hot spots. I use J & J cloth medical tape, it holds better than duct tape and I'm not stingy with it. I wear two pair of socks, one Injinji synthetic toe socks, then smartwool on top. I change the smartwools every 4-5 miles to keep my feet as dry as possible. I still experiment a little but one thing I know is that if you are blister prone, cotton will not work, more than likely.

Still experimenting, I bought a pair of Sealskinz waterproof, breathable socks and will try those over my Injinjis on a 36 mile wet hike this coming weekend. I hope they work. Wet feet are my nemesis.

Haven't walked the camino yet but Bombas were a lifechanger just for everyday wear for me. I would still be hesitant to use them on the camino. I've tested some merino anti-blister socks. I think Bombas just have too much cotton. What I do love is their support around the arch. I have flat feet and that level of support is appreciated. Their low ankle socks truly don't slip into your shoes.

I have sweaty blister prone feet. These socks are absolutely fantastic for day to day or a week's vacation with heavy city walking. But I've had more long term success trying out the super fancy wool socks with various degrees of padding. Bombas are pretty decent at controlling moisture but merino and wool is on a WHOLE other level (and price tag!). Alas, I find bombas still have a bit more control in the arch area.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.