• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bombeiros (fire stations) as accommodation

Lindsay53

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2019
Portugues 2022
VDLP 2023
Accommodation question. I hope to start the Portuguese Camino from Lisbon next April. Are the fire stations still providing accommodation? Thanks :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Accommodation question. I hope to start the Portuguese Camino from Lisbon next April. Are the fire stations still providing accommodation? Thanks :)
I do not know by now but we used to sleep at the Bombeiros in Tomar In 2013
This was really an experience. Sleeping on matrasses on the floor. Firemen keeping themselves awake during the night. Playing football, games, shouting, screaming… poor peregrinos...
a cold shower… but would not miss this experience at all.
I thought I paid 5€ for me and my wife.
what I do remember is that I never heard about other Bombeiros who offered a bed during the night and if it was like in Tomar, only between Lisbon and Porto .
North of Porto I never have heard about it.

other special places. We stayed overnight -for free- at a schoolcampus in Cernache, north of Coimbra. In a house with bunkbeds. We were the only guests We had to stay in al last at 21h00 because the gate closed and had to leave before 8h00 the next day.
The concierge did not speak english but the pupils helped him with translating. Great fun.
we stayed in a retraite house with nuns just outside Albergía-a-Velha. 3 € per person including lunch,diner and breakfast. Hot showers. Great environment and views .

that made the part from Lisbon to Porto so special. Highly recommended to walk this part.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you look at the list on the Via Lusitana website, you will see that the bombeiros in Azambuja are reported as no longer taking in pilgrims, while the bombeiros in Alviaizare are reported as being open for pilgrims. No information given on the bombeiros in Tomar, so who knows. The introductory note on the albergue list notes that anyone who hopes to stay with bombeiros should call in advance and bring a mat.

The municipality of Tomar (which includes villages in the area) now has two municipal albergues. I assume that makes it less likely that the bombeiros will offer accommodation to pilgrims, but I could be wrong.

Great question as it’s commonly said that you can, but I have yet to here of it happening recently. Plus COVID may have really ended that practice due to the need to protect first responders.

you will see that the bombeiros in Azambuja are reported as no longer taking in pilgrims,
Going back a few years it was the obvious stage endpoint and accommodation choice. I definitely felt like I was in a Jack Kerouac-style adventure sleeping on a mat in the giant hall, while down below there was what sounded like a crew trying to free a jammed axle by banging it with a giant wrench - all night. Once inside you had access to all areas - the Chief's door had been left ajar and inside you could see all the trimmings of high office including a ceremonial hat..
I guess we really need someone on the ground like Rodrigo or Nick (jungleboy) or the Via Lusitana people to give an informed update on the situation
PS it used to be that on that tricky Portuguese option of the Sanabres route that staying in Bombeiros was the only option - I don't know if that's changed now.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If you look at the list on the Via Lusitana website, you will see that the bombeiros in Azambuja are reported as no longer taking in pilgrims, while the bombeiros in Alviaizare are reported as being open for pilgrims. No information given on the bombeiros in Tomar, so who knows. The introductory note on the albergue list notes that anyone who hopes to stay with bombeiros should call in advance and bring a mat.

The municipality of Tomar (which includes villages in the area) now has two municipal albergues. I assume that makes it less likely that the bombeiros will offer accommodation to pilgrims, but I could be wrong.

Hi Laurie . How are you doing ?

I asked our mutual caminho friend Aurélio from Lisbon about this theme and he wrote me a minute ago he thought that at more places now albergues took over the duty of lodging peregrinos between Lisbon and Porto.

forte abraço
Albertinho

Thanks to those who answered my question about the fire stations, but now can anyone suggest a nice place to stay in Lisbon before I start? I am thinking close to the Cathedral and will look after a bag for me. Thanks.

Hi Lindsay
This may not be much help, because a quick check on the web suggests this place may still not be open.... but just in case it is, or does open up again in time for you:
The Lisbon Old Town Hostel in the Bairro Alto district, run by João Ferreira. It was quite a few years ago that I stayed, but it was wonderful. A friendly laid-back place, simple, but beautifully looked-after. We had a big communal meal with a group of Erasmus Programme students who'd come back to Lisbon for a reunion, plus a smattering of tourists. It was a great aperitif for the camino.
Cheers, tom

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Not specifically related to the CP, but in Portugal in general, we did stay with bombeiros twice earlier this year on the Nascente (Fronteira) and the Torres (Mesão Frio), so it is still possible in some places in Portugal even in Covid times - although at one other place were told that the bombeiros there were not housing pilgrims because of the pandemic.

Last edited:
I always recommend Pensao da Prata, even though I’ve never stayed there. It’s the place recommended by our friend @amsimoes or some other trusted forum member, I can’t remember. Family run, clean, inexpensive It is in a great location, the Baixa (flatland), so facing the river you have the hills of the Bairro Alto and Estrella on your right and the hills of the Castle/Alfama on your left.

I can’t find a website for the pensao but it’s on booking and a lot of other travel websites.

It is very close to the cathedral and the Church of Santiago, so it’s a good starting point for walking.

Nearby is the Paço Real, where @amsimoes once took a bunch of us to try home made pasteis de nata. They are served at room temperature in this place, unlike the more touristy (also delicious) pasteis de Belem, which are served warm. Since it’s a matter of taste, you can be sure there are strong and unchanging opinions on both sides of this question. The best thing is to try them both ways, because they are unerringly delicious and addictive.

Shortly before I left on camino in September my local grocery store (Safeway) had pasteis de nata, imported from Portugal, for sale in the bakery. It was evening when I saw them on a closed shelf in the bakery department, accessible only to staff, none of whom were there. I assume that , with bakery hours, they were finished for the day. I have never seen them since, and never tasted them. But I continue to check that shelf.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
They are served at room temperature in this place, unlike the more touristy (also delicious) pasteis de Belem, which are served warm. Since it’s a matter of taste, you can be sure there are strong and unchanging opinions on both sides of this question. The best thing is to try them both ways, because they are unerringly delicious and addictive.
I'll eat them warm or at room temperature - either way they are delicious and indeed addictive.
Shortly before I left on camino in September my local grocery store (Safeway) had pasteis de nata, imported from Portugal, for sale in the bakery.
I can't imagine that they would be anywhere near as good as freshly made pasteis de nata after a trip from Portugal to Canada!

I had the same question, but I have decided that instead of having a bag stored in Lisbon I will mail my extra bag to Casa Ivar in Santiago. That way I can have my post Camino tourist clothes while I travel after my Camino without having to return to Lisbon.

You might find the thread that I started on the subject helpful

Last edited:
I had the same question, but I have decided that instead of having a bag stored in Lisbon I will mail my extra bag to Casa Ivar in Santiago. That way I can have my post Camino tourist clothes while I travel after my Camino without having to return to Lisbon.

You might find the thread that I started on the subject helpful
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/hotel-guest-house-in-lisbon-that-will-store-luggage-or-send-to-santiago.72225/#post-973611
Thanks trecile, but that link is taking me to an on line shopping page?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks trecile, but that link is taking me to an on line shopping page?
That is so bizarre. I changed the link, but it seems to be identical to the first link I posted.
Edit - the new link worked the first time, but keeps reverting to the other site. (one which I had visited earlier)
In the search enter "Lisbon guest house," and you should find my post.

Hi Lindsay
This may not be much help, because a quick check on the web suggests this place may still not be open.... but just in case it is, or does open up again in time for you:
The Lisbon Old Town Hostel in the Bairro Alto district, run by João Ferreira. It was quite a few years ago that I stayed, but it was wonderful. A friendly laid-back place, simple, but beautifully looked-after. We had a big communal meal with a group of Erasmus Programme students who'd come back to Lisbon for a reunion, plus a smattering of tourists. It was a great aperitif for the camino.
Cheers, tom
Thanks Tom . I had a check and the site said nothing available for my dates, so it's either shut down or full.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
At @peregrina2000 's suggestion, in 2016, I stayed at Pensao da Prata, 81 Rua da Prata (this address, when I looked at Street View), and found it a very nice place to stay - I would stay there again - even 5-6 years later... but I might ask if the owners are the same as in the past. I found it just now on Google Maps, and in the Reviews, the most recent review is from 2 months ago - a decent review. The address is also shown as 71 Rua Da Prata - the phone # shown is +351 21 346 8908.
Good luck, @Lindsay53 !

I walked the Camino Portugues Costal in September 2019. When I got to Fao, it happened to be a weekend when they were holding their local fiesta. Not a bed to be had. I remembered reading that in decades past, pilgrims were allowed to sleep on the floor at the fire stations but that had fallen out of favor. Just then I came upon their fire station. I asked--there was one volunteer who spoke English (my Portuguese is non existent), and she called her boss--no way he would allow pilgrims. She called the towns ahead--no room at the inn. She and other firefighters called and walked all over Fao to see if there were any other places available. By then, 2 other women and about a dozen Germans showed up looking for places to stay. The volunteer firefighter called her boss again, and he told her yes, OK for us to stay. It was a good experience and heartwarming they were so kind to us.
I have no idea if COVID has killed any chance of a repeat in such a hardship case, but it is worth asking, if one is stuck for a place.
And if anyone is passing through Fao any time, please stop at the fire station (it's on the route leaving town) and ask for my light blue towel made by REI (no longer made). I am still sad I left it there by mistake--they said they would post it to me but it never happened, and I imagine it still sitting there waiting for me or someone to pick it up. You can leave it with Faith at Pilgrim House in Santiago!! Many thanks!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.