• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bon courage, Aussie pilgrims...

lovingkindness

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Dear Aussie pilgrims,
I am thinking of you constantly from across the waves….
The bushfires in Australia are talked about every day here, where I am in France. We see the videos and images and worry for you. We worry for the wildlife, too. You are not forgotten. Some of you may be coping with évacuations and the loss of your homes, loss of life, of animals or lifestock, communities and much more. I hope this is not so...

Bon courage!
Lovingkindness

319562_10150313368628925_1949949719_n.jpg

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Dear Aussie pilgrims,
The bushfires in Australia are talked about every day here, where I am in France. We see the videos and images and worry for you. We worry for the wildlife, too. You are not forgotten. Some of you may be coping with évacuations and the loss of your homes, loss of life, of animals or lifestock, communities and much more. I hope this is not so...

Bon courage!
Lovingkindness

View attachment 68474
Thank you @lovingkindness...the thoughts, wishes and prayers from around the world are appreciated...they do make a difference.
We've escaped the worst of it here in Tassie but I have family (incl my elderly parents) on the mainland who were caught in the middle of the NSW fires. My parents spent a week in an evacuation camp & other relatives were trapped by fast moving fire & had no choice but to defend their home.
Fortunately for my family, their homes were spared. Thousands of others were not so lucky & are suffering greater losses. And the impact on our beautiful, unique & precious wildlife is just devastating.
Fires are part of life in the harsh Australian (& in other countries) summer. You can be assured we will get through this..but the road to recovery will be long for so many. The fire season is still far from over...then lives, homes & livelihoods can begin rebuilding.
Sempre avanti...& thank you
🇦🇺 🦘 🐨

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you so much. I have been so heartened by the love and donations from all around the world to our families, our fire fighters and our amazing wildlife. Fires to the north and fires to the south, so depending which way the wind blows, we sweat or we breathe here in the middle of two fire grounds, surrounded daily by thick smoke . I am unable to walk in any of my special places as most of them are now burned or still burning. But I have a home. We love our Firies!! When you support us Aussie pilgrims with thoughts and energy we can support those around us that little bit more . xxx

Dear Aussie pilgrims,

Bon courage!
Lovingkindness

View attachment 68474
Well said Lovingkidness. It is very real for us here in New Zealand. Last week we had orange skies followed by grey skies in the middle of a summer afternoon. Our thoughts and hearts re with you
Dear Aussie pilgrims,

Bon courage!
Lovingkindness

View attachment 68474
Well said Lovingkindness! The scale of the problem is very real for us here in New Zealand
Thank you @lovingkindness...the thoughts, wishes and prayers from around the world are appreciated...they do make a difference.
We've escaped the worst of it here in Tassie but I have family (incl my elderly parents) on the mainland who were caught in the middle of the NSW fires. My parents spent a week in an evacuation camp & other relatives were trapped by fast moving fire & had no choice but to defend their home.
Fortunately for my family, their homes were spared. Thousands of others were not so lucky & are suffering greater losses. And the impact on our beautiful, unique & precious wildlife is just devastating.
Fires are part of life in the harsh Australian (& in other countries) summer. You can be assured we will get through this..but the road to recovery will be long for so many. The fire season is still far from over...then lives, homes & livelihoods can begin rebuilding.
Sempre avanti...& thank you
🇦🇺 🦘 🐨
Dear Aussie pilgrims,

Bon courage!
Lovingkindness

View attachment 68474
Well said Lovingkindness! The scale of the problem is very real also for us in New Zealand. Although 1,300 miles across the ocean last weekend we had the unprecedented experience of driving with lights on an early summer afternoon. It really puts into perspective the global scale of the situation.
Image result for australian wildfires are turning the nz sky apocalyptic orange
6 days ago
Australian wildfires are turning the New Zealand sky an apocalyptic orange. The giant plume of smoke made its way across the Tasman Sea, spawned by the rampaging Australian wildfires and borne on a quick jet of westerly winds. ... Bands of incoming smoke caused eerie sunsets and turnedsnow on its mountains coffee brown.6 days ago
Australian wildfire smoke turns New Zealand sky orange - The ...

https://www.washingtonpost.com › weather › 2020/01/05 › australia-wildfire

Our troops, firefighters and volunteers are a drop in the ocean but praying the international effort and community is united to help. With you everyday Aussies. Love from NZ

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I do remember living in Wellington, New Zealand, in the 1960s.
For days, smoke from Aussie bush fires bathed the surrounding hills and I well remember ash settling on the footpath as a walked to my bus stop one morning.
So, the smoke is not a new thing, but perhaps the severity of the fires is.
Regards
Gerard

Last edited:
@lovingkindness, thank you for this post that channels what we are all thinking and feeling.
It is heartbreaking, the loss of life of all kinds.

My thoughts are with all of you...praying all is well for you and yours. . .and for rain, or at least a relatively cool southerly.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Dear Aussie pilgrims,

Bon courage!
Lovingkindness

View attachment 68474
On behalf of my family members who are badly impacted by the fires all along the Eastern Seaboard of our wonderful country and who are on constant alert and watch, I thank you for your thoughts and messages....they really do mean a lot. Susanawee

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you Lovingkindness and all for your thoughts and prayers. It is such comfort to feel support in whatever form it comes, and especially from friends overseas.

We live on the NSW south coast, in the Illawarra, south of Sydney. It has been a horrible few months for so many. The closest fire to us was 20 +km away so have not been directly impacted though thick smoke has been hanging around constantly keeping us indoors and I've developed breathing issues. Some relations of mine further south lost their homes, lost everything and we have sent a carload of most precious things (e.g. camino albums) to a safer location, just in case, but have not had to evacuate ourselves.

When light rain started about a week ago, I felt like crying. Now most of the state has had reasonable rain, maybe not enough to put out the fires totally, and we still need more, but the smoke from our area has gone... sorry NZ.
Thank you for the prayers . Thank you . . .

Thank you Lovingkindness, for saying what we all wish to say.
Australia is in my thoughts and prayers every day.
I have no doubt the country will rebound, as Aussies are some of the most positive and strong pilgrims I've met in my travels.
God Bless You all, and am sending you prayers, love, and strength.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you so much to those who hold us in your hearts. I love this forum!

We have had rain, with variable consequences. It has helped but in many places not been enough to do more than damp down the fires - and more hot weather can be expected. We worry the ash is being washed into the waterways, poisoning drinking water for people and surviving animals. The drought in most of the country continues.

Lots of stories, of course, of tragedy and of heroes. The volunteer fire fighters top the list. My friend, whose husband was tragically killed only two months ago, had her whole farm and blueberry crop saved by volunteers, even though it is right in the middle of one of the biggest and most ferocious fires. My brother is grateful to the truck driver who brought his horse trailer up from Victoria and took out the three thoroughbred horses (retired racers) to keep them safe when fire threatened. In the end my brother was lucky, his farm escaped thanks to favourable winds. As he opened all the internal gates to give his sheep the best chance of survival, he is now expecting a lot of "fire baby" lambs. The rams, usually kept in a separate paddock, had an unexpectedly fun time with the ewes! For them the smoke had a silver lining.

Anyway, thanks for thinking of us.

I live in Sydney's north-western suburbs and we have not been in the line of fire but the smoke and eerie sky has reminded us that those west of us have had a terrible time of it.

The worst aspect now is the continuing drought which has made the fires far worse than they should have been. Today the heat is back up (tomorrow will be 43 degrees) and next week every day will be in the high 30s at least. Humidity is usually around 80%.

We love winter (should we get it)!!

We have had rain, with variable consequences. It has helped but in many places not been enough to do more than damp down the fires - and more hot weather can be expected.
Grf.
Well, may more rain come - especially where it's needed most.
Thinking of you all....

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I know this thread is not at all Camino related, and I do thank Ivar and the other moderators for their indulgence. Extraordinary dust storms through the west today, stories of koalas in heat stress seeking help from humans, and more hot weather forecast.

It all makes me long to be walking in winter in Spain!

I know this thread is not at all Camino related, and I do thank Ivar and the other moderators for their indulgence. Extraordinary dust storms through the west today, stories of koalas in heat stress seeking help from humans, and more hot weather forecast.

It all makes me long to be walking in winter in Spain!
Ahhhhh, @Kanga
Where would El Camino be without the Aussie Pilgrims?

To my way of thinking, this thread is wholeheartedly "Camino related" and not in need of "indulgences". You and I and all the crazy australians who frequent this cosy Forum are connected precisely because of Ivar + El Camino. None of us would have met otherwise.

I'm glad it's raining now on your side of the world.

Love to you all...

Last edited:
Dear Aussie pilgrims,

Bon courage!
Lovingkindness

View attachment 68474

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you for your very kind message - it is much appreciated.
Kerrie Bryant
Tamworth NSW Australia

May I echo the sentiments of our dear Kanga. Yes the love and support that flows from this Forum never ceases to amaze or astound.

Whilst we are "hopefully" over the worst of it the only that will really make us safe is gentle persistent rain. 20/50 mm a day for the next 3 months might do it.

At present our thoughts and prayers are with the families who have lost love ones to the fires. We are especially remembering the three brave American fliers who came here to fly one of the large water bombing aircraft. Sadly one crashed yesterday and their families in the USA are in need of prayers. Cheers

Extraordinary dust storms through the west today, stories of koalas in heat stress seeking help from humans, and more hot weather forecast.
Maybe it's not literally about the camino, but then there's what @SYates calls the 'camino de la vida.' So consider us camino family, @Kanga.
What you are all walking with is unspeakably difficult. So we're here to listen, and grieve with you.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Can I add my heartfelt prayers to those of @Saint Mike II, for the families and friends of those US citizens who came to help us and so sadly lost their lives. We are all so saddened and diminished by their passing.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back