• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bondi to Manly

• Thread starter Former member 102963
  • Start date
F

Former member 102963

Hi all.

Have a few spare days in Sydney and am going to do the Bondi to Manly coastal route. It’s about 80km and I will do it over 4 days, maybe 5. I only realised it existed today when I did a small subsection of it without realising!

Anyway have downloaded the App. It’s looks easy, logistics wise, and after each day will return by bus to central so no hotac or pack carrying issues.

If anyone has done it and has any thoughts or musings, I’m all ears!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I walked from Barrenjoey Lighthouse to Malabar Headland, including walking around the harbour from Manly to Kirribilli, then across the Harbour Bridge and out to Watson's Bay, and from there down to Malabar. I did it over a few weeks. Initially I drove the car to the start of the walk, and then bused back to the car at the end of each day's walk, then from Kirribilli I'd park the car at a train station on the north shore line and use trains, ferries and buses, to get to and fro.

I had thought of going further than Malabar Headland, but by then it was taking me too long to travel to and from the start and finish. It would be entirely possible if you are prepared to stay overnight along the way.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi all.

Have a few spare days in Sydney and am going to do the Bondi to Manly coastal route. It’s about 80km and I will do it over 4 days, maybe 5. I only realised it existed today when I did a small subsection of it without realising!

Anyway have downloaded the App. It’s looks easy, logistics wise, and after each day will return by bus to central so no hotac or pack carrying issues.

We live in Sydney. A group of us did it recently over 4 days - it’s a great walk. It’s easy to get to the start of the walk each day by ferry or bus. Some people based themselves at the youth hostel in The Rocks and travelled to the start point each day. Enjoy!

Hi all.

The direct route is shorter and sometimes more interesting but it involves a fairly long swim!🦈

Bogong

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The direct route is shorter and sometimes more interesting but it involves a fairly long swim!🦈 Bogong
The direct route is shorter and sometimes more interesting but it involves a fairly long swim!🦈

Bogong
Ha ha!

Thank you to everyone for their positivity, kind responses and practical advice. Yes I have hotel accommodation booked but thank you! Yes, Australia is astonishing expensive, in fact when I first got here I had to do a double take on the supermarket prices! And I’m from London!!! The €2 wine and a tapas in Spain seems a distant dream! Walking will save me some money!

Anyway on the bus out to Bondi now so will let you know how it goes!

Thanks again!

Another great walk is the Seven Bridges walk. This is a 27km loop around the inner harbour (i.e. west of the Sydney Harbour Bridge), and is easily walked in a day. I've walked it twice. The walk crosses 7 iconic Sydney bridges - the Sydney Harbour Bridge, Pyrmont Bridge, Anzac Bridge, Iron Cove Bridge, Gladesville Bridge, Tarban Creek Bridge and Fig Tree Bridge - with lovely views of the harbour along the way.

Here's a link: https://www.alltrails.com/trail/australia/new-south-wales/7-bridges-walk-in-sydney

Saw on the news tonight - you chose day of the first Bondi to Manly Run to start your walk. Hope they were all ahead of you and long gone.

For extra points, this weekend is the last two days for Sculptures by the Sea, which I think starts at Bondi and heads south (opposite to you). Bondi would have been humming!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi! Back in 2018 while walking the Frances, around Fromista I met two other Aussies and we became great friends. As one of our Camino Buddies reunion walks this winter we walked Bondi to Manly and would highly recommend the hidden bays , the rough coastlines, bushy tracks and wind swept beaches. We stayed at the Quay and used bus and ferry daily to our staging points . Fabulous four days ! We even found a special Camino reminder .. shells in a stone wall…

Attachments

• 17AB1623-7CEF-49CC-BCBE-5297EB34FAE5.jpeg
    17AB1623-7CEF-49CC-BCBE-5297EB34FAE5.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 11
  • 5B42189A-92C0-466A-98BB-D718EB457E69.jpeg
    5B42189A-92C0-466A-98BB-D718EB457E69.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
  • 2A6BECD0-BA85-4A01-98AB-A0294BAF405A.jpeg
    2A6BECD0-BA85-4A01-98AB-A0294BAF405A.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 9
  • B402298D-910B-4981-9D69-0ADD720E51B4.jpeg
    B402298D-910B-4981-9D69-0ADD720E51B4.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 9
  • 6C2CEA7B-293B-4AAD-8FFF-2563A95B50AB.jpeg
    6C2CEA7B-293B-4AAD-8FFF-2563A95B50AB.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • 484C436A-35D9-41DB-982E-22F5F52969AB.jpeg
    484C436A-35D9-41DB-982E-22F5F52969AB.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
  • 08393A8B-15B0-4F00-9A29-8C10688B8E76.jpeg
    08393A8B-15B0-4F00-9A29-8C10688B8E76.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 11
  • 70A68A56-E9D5-4886-B746-27163CE1892F.jpeg
    70A68A56-E9D5-4886-B746-27163CE1892F.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 10
  • 687B109B-F11E-4241-AD3F-ED839A6B7E39.jpeg
    687B109B-F11E-4241-AD3F-ED839A6B7E39.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 9
  • B619C301-4E0B-44C5-9ED1-7C7ED7A25301.jpeg
    B619C301-4E0B-44C5-9ED1-7C7ED7A25301.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 12
Hi! Back in 2018 while walking the Frances, around Fromista I met two other Aussies and we became great friends. As one of our Camino Buddies reunion walks this winter we walked Bondi to Manly and would highly recommend the hidden bays , the rough coastlines, bushy tracks and wind swept beaches. We stayed at the Quay and used bus and ferry daily to our staging points . Fabulous four days ! We even found a special Camino reminder .. shells in a stone wall…
Thank you again for all the lovely help and support. Had a fantastic day yesterday and shortly off for day 2.

Yesterday I walked from Bondi Beach to Double Bay, a distance of around 25km. It was truly stunning! Fish and Chips at Doyle’s!

@Kanga thank you for all your support!

@Alan G thank you for recommendation . That looks great and am going to try and fit it in.

@Richard Smith yes I saw lots of signage for the ultra which proved useful. They started couple of hours before me!

Thanks again!

Hi all.

I walked it at Easter 2021. A lovely walk but not as easy as it would seem, especially on the northern sector. I was 82 and completed the 80 klms in four days.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you again for all the lovely help and support. Had a fantastic day yesterday and shortly off for day 2.

Yesterday I walked from Bondi Beach to Double Bay, a distance of around 25km. It was truly stunning! Fish and Chips at Doyle’s!

@Kanga thank you for all your support!

@Alan G thank you for recommendation . That looks great and am going to try and fit it in.

@Richard Smith yes I saw lots of signage for the ultra which proved useful. They started couple of hours before me!

Thanks again!
It’s interesting that a lot of this lovely preserved bush land area could now have been covered by hideous high rise flats had it not been for the efforts of the Communist- led Builders’ Labourers Federation back in the mid 1960’s era who had the foresight to oppose rampant development. They were led by Jack Mundey. You can imagine the savaging they got at the time from the establishment and the media.

De colores

Bogong

I walked it at Easter 2021. A lovely walk but not as easy as it would seem, especially on the northern sector. I was 82 and completed the 80 klms in four days.
Wow 82 that’s impressive of you if you don’t mind me saying. Second day done and just over halfway. I’ve decided to take 4 days, rather than aim for 3 which would be a push. I am walking in trainers, not walking boots, so feet get a bit sore.

Actually the first half was tough in terms of going up and coming down. ‘Ups’ are just tough and I don’t really like ‘downs’ as my knees are creakily. Noted that 2nd half is tough! Thank you!

Such a stunning walk. The absence of graffiti, the whole cleanliness of the route is just perfect. The number and quality of toilets, water fountains, and just general looking after the ‘outside welfare’ of its citizens is just world beating. And I love the ‘no nonsense’ approach of fines for those who spoil it for other folks. The signs are very forthright!

The nicest thing is that when I am done walking for the day, I find the nearest ferry terminal and take a stunning 15 min trip back to the centre!

@TravellingMan2022 What a treat. Sydney Harbour and the foreshore and coastal beaches are truly glorious. And walking is a great way to appreciate. You’ve really lucked out with the weather - after all the rain we’ve had and blowing a gale for thé first half of the week. But today and yesterday - spectacular. 😎

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes so true. I have been Sydney before many times and I must admit I sometimes wondered what all the fuss was about! Well now I know and it’s been so fantastic. The walk has really shown me so much more of the city!

Weather wise, I actually arrived two weeks ago and it was very grey. Went Melbourne and it even worse. But as you say the last few days have been perfect!

Have a few spare days in Sydney and am going to do the Bondi to Manly coastal route.
I know that many Australians see visiting one or other of these as a sacred obligation to uphold the bronzed Aussie tradition, but I hadn't realised there was a pilgrimage route between them.

I know that many Australians see visiting one or other of these as a sacred obligation to uphold the bronzed Aussie tradition, but I hadn't realised there was a pilgrimage route between
I know that many Australians see visiting one or other of these as a sacred obligation to uphold the bronzed Aussie tradition, but I hadn't realised there was a pilgrimage route between them.
🤣. Not a pilgrimage route…. Just a beautiful coastal track.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ooh gosh! Forgive my ignorance but I absolutely have no idea what constitutes a ‘pilgrimage’ or otherwise! It’s just a great walk to me!!

Doug, I don't think anyone is claiming this is a pilgrimage. Ivar created this section of the forum for "other walks around the world". There is another, separate, section for "other pilgrimage routes around the world".

Hey D
Doug, I don't think anyone is claiming this is a pilgrimage. Ivar created this section of the forum for "other walks around the world". There is another, separate, section for "other pilgrimage routes around the world".
Hey Doug and Kanga, if a pilgrimage is something which involves putting up with suffering, any visit to Sydney qualifies.

Bogong

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
And here I was thinking that @TravellingMan2022 was coming here on a pilgrimage to these iconic locations. How silly of me!

Hey D

Hey Doug and Kanga, if a pilgrimage is something which involves putting up with suffering, any visit to Sydney qualifies.

Bogong
Huh. You are moth and obviously fling yourself against the lights!

Hey D

Bogong
The prices are certainly painful! I’m living off ‘specials’ and Happy Hours!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The prices are certainly painful! I’m living off ‘specials’ and Happy Hours!
A “Happy Hour” in Sydney is a bit of a non-sequiter. If you want to experience the real Sydney, its epicentre is somewhere west of Cabramatta. About 15 miles and a three and a half hour drive from the harbour area.Now that’s an idea for a walk - probably quicker than driving or trying to go by public transport, but mind breathing the fumes.And as for cost, it’s the most heavily toll-roaded city per capita in the world (written by a true member of the rear view mirror brigade, if you want the best view)

Bogong( ducking for cover)

If you want to experience the real Sydney, its epicentre is somewhere west of Cabramatta. About 15 miles and a three and a half hour drive from the harbour area.Now that’s an idea for a walk - probably quicker than driving or trying to go by public transport, but mind breathing the fumes.And as for cost, it’s the most heavily toll-roaded city per capita in the world (written by a true member of the rear view mirror brigade, if you want the best view)

I would suggest if there's such a thing as 'the real Sydney', it's whatever any given Sydneysider makes of the city, wherever that happens to be. I have probably never been west of Cabramatta, for what it's worth.

This is my Sydney, and it's real to me.

On 26 January 1988, I spent Australia Day on and around Sydney Harbour with my family for the country’s bicentennial celebration and declared that night that it had been the best day of my life. I was seven years old.

Since then, Sydney and I have had a complicated relationship. After growing up in suburbia, I left at 17 to attend university in another city, returned briefly after graduation, and left soon after for an overseas trip that’s somehow still going 21 years later.

But now that I’ve lived out of Sydney for longer than I lived in it, I’ve learned to appreciate it more than ever.

Your Sydney might be Bondi Beach, the Rocks and BridgeClimb. My Sydney isn’t that fancy, but it’s no less endearing.

It’s the sound on the hill at a sun-bathed Brookvale Oval when the local rugby league team scores. It’s beautiful views of the ocean from the wind-swept headlands of the northern beaches. It’s sunset over the shimmering waters of Narrabeen Lakes.

And most of all, it’s the gentle — and, at times, emotional — rhythm of the Manly Ferry as it eases its way out of the harbour, past Sydney’s two most famous icons, to take me home.

My Sydney is being surrounded by bushland and beautiful gardens, noisy from the sound of parrots (lorikeets, galahs, rosellas, king parrots, cockatoos) but no traffic. Visits from bandicoots, Spike the echidna and too many brush turkeys. With the odd funnel web thrown in for spice.

Where else in the world do you get a buzzing busy city with such spectacular natural surroundings? The harbour, harbour beaches, steep sided natural bush, fabulous ocean beaches, glorious headlands with wonderful views, surrounded by two world class wilderness areas and access to amazing walking trails everywhere.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A “Happy Hour” in Sydney is a bit of a non-sequiter. If you want to experience the real Sydney, its epicentre is somewhere west of Cabramatta. About 15 miles and a three and a half hour drive from the harbour area.Now that’s an idea for a walk - probably quicker than driving or trying to go by public transport, but mind breathing the fumes.And as for cost, it’s the most heavily toll-roaded city per capita in the world (written by a true member of the rear view mirror brigade, if you want the best view)

Are you, by any chance, from Melbourne?

Are you, by any chance, from Melbourne?
So day 3 of 4 and one of the best hiking days I have ever had anywhere. Early morning ferry to Mosman Bay where I finished yesterday! Not sure there are many better things in life than an early morning (or anytime) ferry from Circular Quay. I intended to go as far as Spit Bridge but the andrenalin flowed and I made it to Manly Wharf. The views were just stunning! Ironically the last leg which I will do tomorrow is pretty much a circle and quite a few kms, but only about a 5 min walk as the crow flies from Manly Wharf where I finished today. I can actually see the finish line from pub I am sitting in now! Today was beautiful but tough. I was ascending so much at one point I thought I was going to end up back in Europe! If anyone can recommend a good pub for tomorrow I would be grateful especially if they do specials and have a happy hour. I am not very discerning and definately not a tofu eating wokerati Guardianista. Anything will do!

Last edited by a moderator:
So day 3 of 4 and one of the best hiking days I have ever had anywhere.
And you’ve had another great day weather wise ☀️ Having walked from Palm Beach to Coogee a few times and your Day 3 section more often than I can count, I can only totally agree. So pleased for you that you are getting to see why so many people regard that coastline as so special. I particularly like that the vast majority of the harbour foreshore has been protected with public space and access to the beautiful bush land, coves and beaches. 🥰 carry on enjoying 😎

PS North Sydney to Balmoral Beach (Mosman) Return and Manly to Balmoral Beach Return, with pack, were my training walks for my first camino in 2011, and many since. When I was feeling tired, especially in the heat, all I had to do was stop and take it all in and think ‘how lucky am I’ 😎

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A

A
And you’ve had another great day weather wise ☀️ Having walked from Palm Beach to Coogee a few times and your Day 3 section more often than I can count, I can only totally agree. So pleased for you that you are getting to see why so many people regard that coastline as so special. I particularly like that the vast majority of the harbour foreshore has been protected with public space and access to the beautiful bush land, coves and beaches. 🥰 carry on enjoying 😎
Thank you so much! Wow the weather!!! I don’t think anywhere in the world does environmental management like Australia. You get the message as soon as your plane lands. And wow does it pay off. Not one piece of graffiti seen, no litter, no mess, just perfect! Everyone just seems so cheerful! And I live the fact that everything is contactless!

Re a pub. There’s thé Glenmore at The Rocks with view from the roof terrace. Easy walk from Circular Quay if you take the ferry back from Manly.

We don’t live in Sydney anymore - we are about 90 minutes ‘up the road’ on another beautiful part of the coastline and national park. And It’s quite a few years since I’ve been to the Glenmore, so can’t vouch for the food.

I’m not up to date with the pubs . But someone else will probably come along with a good suggestion or two. 😎

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
So day 3 of 4 and one of the best hiking days I have ever had anywhere. Early morning ferry to Mosman Bay where I finished yesterday! Not sure there are many better things in life than an early morning (or anytime) ferry from Circular Quay. I intended to go as far as Spit Bridge but the andrenalin flowed and I made it to Manly Wharf. The views were just stunning! Ironically the last leg which I will do tomorrow is pretty much a circle and quite a few kms, but only about a 5 min walk as the crow flies from Manly Wharf where I finished today. I can actually see the finish line from pub I am sitting in now! Today was beautiful but tough. I was ascending so much at one point I thought I was going to end up back in Europe! If anyone can recommend a good pub for tomorrow I would be grateful especially if they do specials and have a happy hour. I am not very discerning and definately not a tofu eating wokerati Guardianista. Anything will do!
The Manly Wharf Hotel has great views. A good place to celebrate your achievement.

A reminder that this forum is not the place for political discussions. Please stick to the rules.

I have deleted some posts.

I do not understand how a harmless discussion about the pleasures of local walking can deteriorate into a political discussion, but it did.

A reminder that this forum is not the place for political discussions. Please stick to the rules.

I do not understand how a harmless discussion about the pleasures of local walking can deteriorate into a political discussion, but it did.
or

Thank you very much for deleting the rather bizarre posts as opposed to deleting the thread with me so close to finishing line!!!

So day 4 of 4 and all done. 10km or so today from Manly to errrr….. Manly. Yes it was a circular walk with the start and finish about 500 metres apart as the crow flies! I guess I was in the mindset of ‘only’ 10km, but that is of course a significant distance in its own right. When we do 20km, we think 10km is ‘light’, when we 30km we talk of ‘only’ 20km… well I do anyway and I guess it’s nonsense.

A nice walk today, not as tough or beautiful as yesterday but still very very special!

Thank you very much to those who have taken an interest. I don’t have the knowledge and expertise to get into the real hardcore camino debates, I tend to only get involved in airfares, ATM fees, and insurance debates, so it’s nice to break out of that box, and talk about what ‘what we are here for’ as opposed to the logistical detail.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back