• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bone Spur May Trip Me Up Plan B?

Paintboy2

Time of past OR future Camino
With 9 days before departure I've developed a bone spur on my heal that has sidelined me. My plan is to keep all of the weight off (on crutches) until my departure date and then take it a mile at a time. As of today I can't walk on it but I'm hoping that it will heal as fast as it appeared. I'm bringing crutches with me and I'm also considering shortening up my trip by starting in Tui and traveling on a slightly more populated route that would provide more frequent stopping points and restful accommodation. I've been planning this for a year so I'm not too keen on giving up now.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@falcon269 makes a very good point about crutches. The only falls (2) that I experienced during my 2½ months non-weight bearing in a moon boot for navicular fracture was from crutches. If you can practice on rough ground before you go that would help greatly and give you an idea of what you'll be facing. Not impossible but very tiring and you also need to ensure that the crutches have been adjusted correctly so that there is no undue stress on your underarm.

There is also the option of forearm crutches. A dear friend lost a leg to bone cancer and has trekked in the Himalayas with them.

The only other point I'd make - and I don't know where you're from - is to check your travel/health insurance fine print with regards to pre-existing conditions.

You have the right idea with adjusting distance and route. Also give some consideration to not giving up but delaying your Camino. It's complicated walking wounded!

I wish you well whatever you decide.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello

Sorry to hear about the spur.

If you haven't done so already, I'd recommend seeing a podiatrist - they can provide you with some inserts such as heel lifts to take pressure off the spur and also provide you with some basic exercises

The thing to keep in mind though is that whilst you may have a bone spur, it is not necessarily the spur that is causing the pain, rather what attaches onto the spur, usually a tendon. Often this tendon has become overused which has caused it to pull on the bone cause the pain and the spur. Therefore if you are in a lot of pain, I'm not too sure if going on the Camino right away is the best option. However, if you do decide to go, I personally would recommend using hiking poles purely because crutches are not designed for the terrain you will be travelling on and also it is likely you will end up experiencing secondary areas of pain such is in you wrists/shoulders etc.

Wishing you all the best!

Hello

Sorry to hear about the spur.

If you haven't done so already, I'd recommend seeing a podiatrist - they can provide you with some inserts such as heel lifts to take pressure off the spur and also provide you with some basic exercises

The thing to keep in mind though is that whilst you may have a bone spur, it is not necessarily the spur that is causing the pain, rather what attaches onto the spur, usually a tendon. Often this tendon has become overused which has caused it to pull on the bone cause the pain and the spur. Therefore if you are in a lot of pain, I'm not too sure if going on the Camino right away is the best option. However, if you do decide to go, I personally would recommend using hiking poles purely because crutches are not designed for the terrain you will be travelling on and also it is likely you will end up experiencing secondary areas of pain such is in you wrists/shoulders etc.

Wishing you all the best!
Thanks Physio, As you can imagine it's difficult to decide what to do given all of the considerations. I suspect that you more than most understand all of the related issues. I've ordered a pair of relatively fancy forearm crutches that review well for rough terrain walking. I'm going to do an evaluation walk (5-10K) a few days before leaving to see how it feels. If I have anything more than minimum discomfort at that time I'm going to call off my Camino and become an instant disabled Portuguese tourist. There is no sense wasting plane tickets and time off. The hard part will be seeing other people on the Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have had a heel spurfor two years now. It was fine the first few weeks of this year's walk but now it is trapping my achilles and makong me limp. I am walking less kms and doing so slowly. Not a very happy situation. I wish you well with whatever you decide. You truly have my sympathy.
Hi Al, I've been reading your posts on the forum for some time now and I'm honored that you have replied to my post. This is my first Camino and due to my work schedule it's a short one. My foot problem has me shortening it further and may knock me out completely but I'm going to press on until good judgment say's otherwise. I hope you find some relief soon, and I'll be thinking about you as I walk my path in the next few weeks.
Bon Camino

I'm envious! Keep us all posted,

Happy feet & Buen Camino!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back