• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bone spurs on heels. Any suggestions ?

Queban

Time of past OR future Camino
I plan to walk the Camino in May of 2016
i am going to walk the Camino in May and am worried about the bone spurs I have on the heels of my feet. Normally the heels start hurting if I stand for a long time or walk a lot. Does anyone also have bone spurs on their heels and have walked the Camino? What helped with the discomfort?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My wife walked it and had previous severe issues with plantar fasciitis, she solved the problem with good orthodics, bought a pair of high arch flip flops and stopped walking around bare foot.

On the Camino if she started feeling anything starting up I taped her foot for extra support this happened only a few times. You don't want it to flair up but as long as you monitor yourself I think you will have no problems.

I'm not sure if they will help for bone spurs, but when I did my first camino the bottoms of my feet ached terribly. For my next camino, the Portuguese that has so much cobble and asphalt, I purchased a pair of Hoka running shoes. They are super-cushy on the bottom, and enabled me to start right off walking 20 miles/day with no problems. I've since learned that a nearby university is doing a study with them, and they help with plantar fasciitis, etc. You might try some out.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm not sure if they will help for bone spurs, but when I did my first camino the bottoms of my feet ached terribly. For my next camino, the Portuguese that has so much cobble and asphalt, I purchased a pair of Hoka running shoes. They are super-cushy on the bottom, and enabled me to start right off walking 20 miles/day with no problems. I've since learned that a nearby university is doing a study with them, and they help with plantar fasciitis, etc. You might try some out.

Thank you, I will try them out!!

Definitely try out the Hokas. They even have a special hiking low cut boot Womens Tor Summit MidWP that's waterproof. The link is from an Australian store but I'm sure that you'll have stockists in the USA. My Physio insists that I buy a pair to walk in as part of my recovery from a navicular fracture.

As @shubertj recommends, you may also need good orthotics and don't forget good support as your alternative footwear. Icing helps to relieve inflammation when it does flare up.

I have bone spurs on both heels and orthotics help heaps. I would also recommend that you see a podiatrist who is experienced with hikers and talk to him/her about the Camino. You need to rule out plantar faciitis as well. If you are interested, taping can be a life saver and you have plenty of time to practice.

The crucial thing is to get your heel pain checked out and under control with self management techniques before you begin your Camino.

Good luck!

I have a heel spur. It hurts most days. I saw a Podiatrist who was also a walker. She confirmed that there was nothing I could do other than the calf stretching exercises and the boot/sock solution I had arrived at. I walked the Frances this summer and the Ingles this autumn with a gel insole that also has a gel spot under the heel. I wore Smartwool socks. I have reduced my bag weight to 3 kilos to help. I had no problems. Maybe you could think of bag transport? Good luck anyway. Just don't walk long stages?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I was under the impression that with plantar fasciitis a stiff sole is better. I am also looking onto,the Hoke One trekking shoes so of there is research out there I would love to read it. Thank you.

There is a sock called the Strassburg Sock designed specifically for plantar fasciitis and bone/heel spurs. You wear it at night; a velcro strip is attached from knee to great toe (these are knee socks); the strip pulls up the toes and stretches the plantar fascia. It's a cheaper and much lighter alternative to a night splint. You can buy these (usually) at any running store. (UK: Run Fast £38; Canada The Running Room $55 CAD...for example. Sold in 1,000 running and multi-sport retailers in the 23 countries around the world--so it should be easy to find!)

http://run-fast-retail.net/strassburg-sock-white-one-size
http://heel-spur.info/strassburg-sock

Yes, Anemone, a bone spur and a heel spur are the same thing. Same thing and painful!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There is a sock called the Strassburg Sock designed specifically for plantar fasciitis and bone/heel spurs. You wear it at night; a velcro strip is attached from knee to great toe (these are knee socks); the strip pulls up the toes and stretches the plantar fascia. It's a cheaper and much lighter alternative to a night splint. You can buy these (usually) at any running store. (UK: Run Fast £38; Canada The Running Room $55 CAD...for example. Sold in 1,000 running and multi-sport retailers in the 23 countries around the world--so it should be easy to find!)

http://run-fast-retail.net/strassburg-sock-white-one-size
http://heel-spur.info/strassburg-sock

Yes, Anemone, a bone spur and a heel spur are the same thing. Same thing and painful!
I have Heel Spurs, and try to manage with them. Ice, ice, ice. Stretch, stretch, stretch. Don't walk barefoot and use othodics, and swap low lots of Voltaren. I was wondering is they were bunions. Stiff shoe. Ice and stretch, roll foot on ised water bottle. I also carried that funny sock that keeps ypur toes up bit it discribed my sleep. The Runnig Room has this new thing to roll your feet on, made by Moji.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have Heel Spurs, and try to manage with them. Ice, ice, ice. Stretch, stretch, stretch. Don't walk barefoot and use othodics, and swap low lots of Voltaren. I was wondering is they were bunions. Stuff shoe. Ice and stretch, roll foot on ised water bottle. I also carried that funny sock that keeps ypur toes up bit it discribed my sleep. The Runnig Room has this new thing to roll your feet on, made by Milo.

The Moji? If it's that, yeah, that looks good. (My hands would work better, hahaha!) (RMT 21 years)

No, bone spurs are different than bunions. If you had bunions your great (big) toe or toes would deviate into your foot. Both are painful though!

While a bone spur is a heel spur, or should I say, a heel spur is a bone spur, you can also have bone spurs in your heels, on your spine, in your wrists, elbows...anywhere where two bones come together as a joint.

"Bone spurs are bony projections that develop along the edges of bones. Bone spurs (osteophytes) often form where bones meet each other — in your joints. They also occur where muscles, ligaments, or tendons attach to the bone." (mayoclinic.com + emedicinehealth.com)

"A bunion is a bony bump that forms on the joint at the base of your big toe. A bunion forms when your big toe pushes against your next toe, forcing the joint of your big toe to get bigger and stick out. The skin over the bunion might be red and sore." (mayoclinic.com)

Attachments

• Bunion (drwolgin.com).jpg
    Bunion (drwolgin.com).jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Heel spur (footpain1.com).jpg
    Heel spur (footpain1.com).jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Plantar Fasciitis - Green Chiropractic (greggreendc.com).jpg
    Plantar Fasciitis - Green Chiropractic (greggreendc.com).jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 8
The Moji? If it's that, yeah, that looks good. (My hands would work better, hahaha!) (RMT 21 years)

No, bone spurs are different than bunions. If you had bunions your great (big) toe or toes would deviate into your foot. Both are painful though!

While a bone spur is a heel spur, or should I say, a heel spur is a bone spur, you can also have bone spurs in your heels, on your spine, in your wrists, elbows...anywhere where two bones come together as a joint.

"Bone spurs are bony projections that develop along the edges of bones. Bone spurs (osteophytes) often form where bones meet each other — in your joints. They also occur where muscles, ligaments, or tendons attach to the bone." (mayoclinic.com + emedicinehealth.com)

"A bunion is a bony bump that forms on the joint at the base of your big toe. A bunion forms when your big toe pushes against your next toe, forcing the joint of your big toe to get bigger and stick out. The skin over the bunion might be red and sore." (mayoclinic.com)
I have friends that had bone grotha removed of their feet, difficult surgeries. I'll take my fasciitis over that any day.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have friends that had bone grotha removed of their feet, difficult surgeries. I'll take my fasciitis over that any day.
Yeah, because within time (a long time--up to a year, unless you stop walking), the plantar fasciitis will go away. The bone spur, unless your body decides to absorb the growth/extra calcium, won't.
My sister had surgery to correct the bunions on her feet...not spurs, but a painful recovery and one that lasted quite a few weeks. I'm going to cross my fingers I never get any: fasciitis, spurs or bunions!

On another thread some-one suggested rubbing Vick vapour rub onto the area which hurt. I have just been doing that to my knee and surprisingly it works well. You could try rubbing it on the arch of your foot and round the side and back of your heel/ankle and see if it helps.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Queban

sorry to hear of your heel pain. I'm a physiotherapist who has seen many people with the same issue. Often heel spurs arrise as a result of either either the achilles tendon or plantar fascia pulling too much on the heel. The pain that you get in the region is not usually the spur itself but the tendon/structures that attach to the bone.

With any injury we have to think about why it occured in the first place - is it because you have tight calves? weak calves? weak hip/knee muslces? flat feet? stiff ankle joint? From there we can then go on to manage the problem more effectively.

Things like gel heel pads or orthotics may be useful for pain relief in the short term however they don't address the primary cause as to why you developed the spur to begin with.

If you are able to, I think it'd be worthwhile to see a Muskuloskeletal Physiotherapist who can do a thorough assessment and hopefully can help you tackle this issue.

Wishing you all the best!

I was under the impression that with plantar fasciitis a stiff sole is better. I am also looking onto,the Hoke One trekking shoes so of there is research out there I would love to read it. Thank you.
Hi Anemone
Just caught this thread from a later post. You were asking about the HokaOne shoes. As soon as I was out of the moon boot from my navicular fracture several footballers who had recovered from the same injury urged me to look at the HokaOne brand. I bought a pair of Stinson 3 which is a trail shoe with great cushioning and a meta rocker sole. This was my main rehab shoe together with a new custom made orthodic. A great all rounder but with no ankle support. I now also have the HokaOne Tor Summit hiking boot and have found that it is working well for me so far. It doesn't have the ultra cushioning of the Stinson but comes with Vibram sole and eVent waterproof lining. I find it very supportive and not an issue in 40°C heat.

I'll be doing more field testing over the next week on a salt lake in remote north western South Australia. Should be able to report back fully after that. They are pricey shoes but I got mine at the end of year sales for a significant discount. Also the store did a 30 minute videoed assessment on a treadmill before recommending the most suitable version of shoe. I worked with advice from both my physio and podiatrist as well.

Thank you @Wokabaut_Meri , I also bought my pair on sale, 40$!, so I will give them a try but will firt get an opinion form the podologist. The sole is the regular foamy kind, so I doubt they will ladt for more than Porto to Santiago for example. I keep looking for the lowcut version of your boots but no such luck, and the company's customer service can't tell me which shops may have that particular model, just which shop carries the brand. I will look forward to more feedback after you but a bit more mileage on them because the concept certainly is very interesting.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Dag nab it. I am noticing (with 25 days until boot on the trail) that I am getting one of my calcium deposits on the base of my Achilles tendon and a calcium lump or bone spur on the back of my heel. No pain. Boots still the wonderful wonderful fit and feel they were last camino (I will be treating myself to a new pair of Superfeet Greens though). It's been at least 10 years since the last time I had the problem. My orthopaedic surgeon has always just had me crush them (the calcium deposits). With so little time before I leave, I'm betting that's what he'll say this time too.

Dag nab it.

Dang! This extrusion of calcium sounds horrible ... I don't know the specifics and assume that they are different for each sufferer but could one buy a thick gel insole and cut out a disc where the spur is - if it is on the bottom of the foot - so that there is no pressure at that point when walking?

...but could one buy a thick gel insole and cut out a disc where the spur is ...
The calcium deposit/lump is actually off the back of the heel a little off center 1.5" from the heel base. The other calcium deposit is at the very bottom of my Achilles tendon, in its usual spot. Dr told me last time if the tendon sheath needs to be operated on it's a good 6 weeks off my foot. No way!!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
What? How? Oh how I would love to lose the on on the back of my heel!
My ortho is a tall strong guy probably now in his late 40's, early 50's. He takes his thumbs and is able to smash the heck out of them and it hurts like h3LL. And it breaks it up and your body absorbs it. It is hard to do it on myself because I have weak thumbs. I suppose you could take a rolling pin to them!!! (maybe that's what I'll try tonight...)

My ortho is a tall strong guy probably now in his late 40's, early 50's. He takes his thumbs and is able to smash the heck out of them and it hurts like h3LL. And it breaks it up and your body absorbs it. It is hard to do it on myself because I have weak thumbs. I suppose you could take a rolling pin to them!!! (maybe that's what I'll try tonight...)
Dear! That sounds awful, especially considering there are lasers and other modern tools to melt these deposits away, like the treatments for spondylosis.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Dear! That sounds awful, especially considering there are lasers and other modern tools to melt these deposits away, like the treatments for spondylosis.
Probably since I haven't been in for at least 10 years and the dr could do it as part of his office call without extra charge. But heck, the method has worked for the past 30,000 years...

Probably since I haven't been in for at least 10 years and the dr could do it as part of his office call without extra charge. But heck, the method has worked for the past 30,000 years...
You are one tough cookie! Great Dane in deed!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
OUCH!

You have my admiration.

You should find the Camino a walk in the park by comparison.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back