• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Boo de Pielagos to Mogro

AJGuillaume

Pèlerin du monde
Time of past OR future Camino
Via Gebennensis (2018)
Via Podiensis (2018)
Voie Nive Bidassoa (2018)
Camino Del Norte (2018)
I was looking for GPS tracks between Boo de Pielagos and Santillana del Mar. The official Camino goes down from Boo to Arce, then across the bridge to Oruña, and up to Mogro.
I have found a number of GPS tracks that actually cross the river on the railway bridge between Boo and Mogro. Gronze shows the bridge with a mention "Paso a pie prohibido". None of the tracks I saw would have been on the train, as they go around the gate at the end of the track near the bridge on the Boo side of the river.
So, is there a way to cross the river at that point other than on the railway bridge? If not, are pilgrims still crossing on the railway bridge? I thought it was forbidden.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
enforcement would seem to be difficult. The bridge is pretty isolated and there is not any vehicle traffic nearby. It is a very short bridge with adequate room if a train did appear while you were on it. I think most people who have seen it or walked across it would tell you it is not a big deal.

However....do as you think best. Just don't take any pies across the bridge. ;)

I also see that Gronze is showing a new route altogether, which bypases both Boo and Mogro. It goes south to Oruna (like the old roundabout route did) but then heads directly west to Mar, instead of going first north to Mogro, and then west to Mar. I have no first hand experience myself. We're heading out from Irun in early May.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I also see that Gronze is showing a new route altogether, which bypases both Boo and Mogro. It goes south to Oruna (like the old roundabout route did) but then heads directly west to Mar, instead of going first north to Mogro, and then west to Mar. I have no first hand experience myself. We're heading out from Irun in early May.
I am not sure what risk you refer to...
Walking over a train bridge that you are not supposed to walk over.

I think that those who have actually been there and seen this short small bridge will agree that the whole issue is much overblown.
I am sure that it is difficult for those who haven't been there to understand that it really is not a big deal.
'I think that Michael (WisePilgrim) and the other guide books pretty much have to advise as they do for liability reasons.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think that those who have actually been there and seen this short small bridge will agree that the whole issue is much overblown.
I am sure that it is difficult for those who haven't been there to understand that it really is not a big deal.
'I think that Michael (WisePilgrim) and the other guide books pretty much have to advise as they do for liability reasons.
It really is not a big deal. Nip on the wee train.

In the first edition of the guide, we included the suggestion to walk over the bridge. I've done it multiple times and it's pretty much a non-event. At the time, the albergue in Santander had a big sign advising pilgrims to do it and showing them exactly how to approach it. Since then, though, the authorities have definitely changed their tune. From a liability perspective, it's probably wise that we made the change as well, but it was primarily driven by the desire to keep pilgrims from getting into trouble.

Has anyone done this section recently ? Was wondering if it is alongside the busy road or not?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
According to the Wise Pilgrim guide, the police and the locals are now enforcing the prohibition against crossing the bridge on foot, and the simplest thing is to just get on the train at Boo. It's a 2 minute ride to Magro and saves you 9.4 k.
I agree. The train is really really easy

Well, I think it is. I was wondering about the schedule on a sunday, but found it and there will be no problem.
When are you off? Its such a great Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I was walking with two Spaniards an Italian and a Dutch and on the evening in Boo de Piélagos there was much talk about the next morning's route and this seemingly dangerous railway bridge, as we arrived at the "said point" myself and one Spaniard walked the two minute shortcut while the others were actually terrified so they took the proper route, it was really funny but I don't think it was long before they caught up with us😂

Have just come across this thread while planning this section. Open Street Map still routes you over the bridge and from the looks of Google Streetview, it is a well worn path ....

The official camino avoids it but it is still shown as a crossing on the Senda del Litoral.

Bizarre. I think I'll give it a miss.

Attachments

• Boo - Mogra - Hybrid.jpg
    Boo - Mogra - Hybrid.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 7
  • Boo - Mogra.jpg
    Boo - Mogra.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 7
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The last time I was on the Norte, I walked the SPECTACULAR coastal alternative from Santander (yes, I digress, but every chance I get, I try to start the drumbeat of the beautiful alternative to the asphalt slog that the arrows put you on). I spent the night in the albergue in Boo, which is about 1 1/2 steps from the train station. There was an early morning train, so everyone in the albergue just piled on and got off a minute or two later. Very painless. I have also walked across this bridge, but now that I am older and wiser I wouldn’t recommend it.

From the train station, everything is very clearly marked. Another option would be to take the train the day before and sleep in Mogro, where there is a variety of private options.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back