• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Book about the Via de la Plata

La Brique Jaune

Official member of la confradia del pinza del oro
Time of past OR future Camino
2017: SJPDP to Finisterre
2024: SJDP to ?
Hi To all,

I did a little research but I would like to have your inputs. I'm looking for a book about the things we can encounter on the Via de la Plata (history, art, food, villages...). I'm not talking typically about a guide book so the book can be heavy or bulky it's does not matters, something to read to learn and get inspirred.

The book can be in French, Spanish or English.

Thanks You

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi To all,

I did a little research but I would like to have your inputs. I'm looking for a book about the things we can encounter on the Via de la Plata (history, art, food, villages...). I'm not talking typically about a guide book so the book can be heavy or bulky it's does not matters, something to read to learn and get inspirred.

Thanks You
I have THE PILGRIMAGE ROAD TO SANTIAGO which covers what is now called The Frances and does what you require for the VDLP. If someone were to produce such a book for the VDLP I am sure there would be readers and buyers! Most certainly me! The Pilgrimage Road weighs a ton but is jammed to the brim with art, architecture, history , folklore etc etc. If I were to take it, I would be most certainly be lured into having my baggage sent ON :) which I have never succumbed to as yet! Mind you at 84 this July I could grow old gracefully :)

Best wishes and Buen Camino

Samarkand.

I’m not sure if this is the same book that Malingerer is referencing, but for history, art, and architecture along the Camino, Derry Brabbs The Roads to Santiago (2013) is excellent. Although it doesn’t specifically address what one encounters on the VDLP, it does look at pilgrimage routes through France including then the Aragones, and, of course, the Camino Francés. The photos are great along with detailed information on medieval art and architecture. Reading this should inspire anyone heading to a Camino.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi To all,

Thanks You
I've said it before and I'll say it again " Sinning Across Spain by Ailsa Piper" and no we're not related and I'm not on a commission!

Thanks for the replies. I will look for theses books, I just buy a guide for La Via de la Plata so I will use it for know the cities concerned by this route and I search about them.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Tony Kevin walked the Mozarabe and Via de la Plata in 2006. His book is excellent.
I agree, and thanks. I had posted another book recommendation but got the names mixed up - Tony Kevin's book Walking the Camino is the one I meant, so I have deleted my post.

Most read last week in this forum

My father read a book about the Camino written by a Catholic Priest from a small town in Europe. The book was fairly detailed in capturing life of pilgrim. We have perused all pics of books on...
This book by Katherine Lack landed on my doormat last week. I ordered it having found her Frontstalag 142, The Internment Diary of an English Lady fascinating, not least because my grandmother and...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.