• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Book - The Roads to Santiago de Compostela

jmcarp

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, 2013
Camino del Norte a Chimayó (USA), 2015
Camino Portugues, 2017
I found this interesting book in the gift shop of the castle located on the top of the big rock in downtown Lourdes (France): http://www.msm-editions.fr/spip.php?article111 . I'm not sure where else it may be found, but a search on the ISBM 978-2-3508-0046-2 will show some possible sources.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks, @jmcarp, Looks like something my Camino library needs!! But it's interesting that the title is in English, but I can't find an English version on any of my book finding sites... French works for me, but I'm just curious why the English title...:)

It's printed in France, but there were copies in multiple languages on the shelf in the gift shop where I bought it. I believe it's available in French, English, and Spanish for sure, and possibly some others as well. I looked to see if it is available on Amazon, but it wasn't listed -- at least not on the Amazon US site. There is an email link on the MSM page in my original post, so maybe if you contact them they could help you find a source.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It's one of my favourite books about the Saint James' Ways. I bought it (French version) from a European Amazon site a few years back after I had seen it in a window of a small bookshop along the road from Tours. I didn't buy it at the time because I didn't want to carry it in my backpack.

Lots of excellent photos (but no landscapes, no albergues, no food and no pilgrims, it's not that kind of book!) and good descriptions and summaries. Approximately 70 pages deal with the Camino Frances in Spain, about 140 pages concern the chemins in France and the rest is of a more general nature about history, legend etc.

Last edited:
It's one of my favourite books about the Saint James' Ways. I bought it (French version) from a European Amazon site a few years back after I had seen it in a window of a small bookshop along the road from Tours. I didn't buy it at the time because I didn't want to carry it in my backpack.

Lots of excellent photos (but no landscapes, no albergues, no food and no pilgrims, it's not that kind of book!) and good descriptions and summaries. Approximately 70 pages deal with the Camino Frances in Spain, about 140 pages concern the chemins in France and the rest is of a more general nature about history, legend etc.
That's a good summary of the book. It's definitely not a typical "Been there, done that" account of someone's walk, but a good introduction to the history of St James and the pilgrimage itself, with emphasis on the routes in France and the Camino Francés in Spain as the continuation of those routes. Too bad it's not readily available from the normal sources. The physical format of the book itself reminds me of the "Eyewitness" travel guides, but with much more depth and detail.

Most read last week in this forum

My father read a book about the Camino written by a Catholic Priest from a small town in Europe. The book was fairly detailed in capturing life of pilgrim. We have perused all pics of books on...
This book by Katherine Lack landed on my doormat last week. I ordered it having found her Frontstalag 142, The Internment Diary of an English Lady fascinating, not least because my grandmother and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.