• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My second way....the north way:-)

angeliki louk

Time of past OR future Camino
July 2014 camino Frances.
June 2015 Camino north
Camino primitivo
Camino north!!!! Starting to walk my second camino on 19/6/15 from Bilbao!!!
Just wanted to share my excitement !!!
Can't wait to be on the way again!!!
Scared...but happy!!!
Buen camino to everyone!!!!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Angeliki,

Great to learn that you are setting off again!

Buen camino and Ultreia,

MM

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Buen Camino Angeliki!

Hi Angeliki.
Let us all know how it goes. Personally i am booked for Bilboa on 2nd Aug and cannot make my mind up between Notre or St James. Purely on walking/ geography Notre sounds more appealing.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
i think i shall be a few days ahead of you...planning to start around the 14/15th June from Irun.
You taking a sleeping bag??

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
i think i shall be a few days ahead of you...planning to start around the 14/15th June from Irun.
You taking a sleeping bag??
Hallo! Thats nice! Maybe we will meet on The way:) i will take with me a silk linear, thats what i had last year and it was perfect.

Hi Angeliki.
Let us all know how it goes. Personally i am booked for Bilboa on 2nd Aug and cannot make my mind up between Notre or St James. Purely on walking/ geography Notre sounds more appealing.
Well I did the Frances last year and it was one of then best experiences of my life! So now I want to walk the coast and haven't decided if I will choose the primitivo also.
So just go by your heart and chose your way...:))))
Buen camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hallo everyone! It's so nice to share the feelings for the way with people that can understand what you are about to do and feel.many of my friends say to me " you will do it agian?" ,but I can't explain to them the feelings that the way made me feel and why I want to go back there!!!!
So I have the guide the northern caminos but i am not so happy about it and I am afraid that I might get lost because I don't understand well the routes as written in the book.for the Frances I used the guide of Brierley and it was great.so I just want to ask if I will be ok with that guide that I have.
Any other tips for the north way is welcomed! Buen camino!

Hallo everyone! It's so nice to share the feelings for the way with people that can understand what you are about to do and feel.many of my friends say to me " you will do it agian?" ,but I can't explain to them the feelings that the way made me feel and why I want to go back there!!!!
So I have the guide the northern caminos but i am not so happy about it and I am afraid that I might get lost because I don't understand well the routes as written in the book.for the Frances I used the guide of Brierley and it was great.so I just want to ask if I will be ok with that guide that I have.

You go girl! So nice to see you still active here and ready for trip number two. it is patti! Its funny that your worry is getting lost... on our first day in SJPP last year, it was you walking brenda and I out to the main road near the mountains to ease our fears of getting lost. We all looked at the signs and tried to figure out the plan. You have no worries.. or none that you need to worry about right now... nothing has happened yet.
I am envious of you... can imagine your energy gracing the fields of spain again!
Buen Camino

You go girl! So nice to see you still active here and ready for trip number two. it is patti! Its funny that your worry is getting lost... on our first day in SJPP last year, it was you walking brenda and I out to the main road near the mountains to ease our fears of getting lost. We all looked at the signs and tried to figure out the plan. You have no worries.. or none that you need to worry about right now... nothing has happened yet.
I am envious of you... can imagine your energy gracing the fields of spain again!
Buen Camino
My sweet Patti!!!! So nice to see your msg!!!!! Yep I am going back and can't wait to be on the way again......!!!
Well you know all the worries are until you take the first step....then you are one with the way..
I will be thinking of you when I take my first step and I am carrying with me all the feelings that we had that first day :)))) I rememeber that day like it was yesterday and I also rememeber my happiness to see u the same night unexpected at Roncesvalles!!!!
Hope everything is well!!! Waiting for a mail with all your news:))))

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, This is the best English language guide on Norte. My initial impression was exactly the same, it is not as good/convenient as the Brierley's. The structure/presentation is different and takes some getting used to. But, information given is precise. The maps are broken to fit separate pages and lacks a visual presentation of the elevation profiles, compared to the Brierley's.

I was walking with a lot of Germans and they were using those outdoor guides. But would ask me for accommodation info from the Northern Camino guide. I got lost couple of times, and there was no one around to ask, I was able to look at the map, orient myself and walk in the right direction to re-connect with the Camino.

Every morning i would take a note of villages/bars and their distances expected on that stage. Then when i walk I just follow the well marked yellow arrows and keep track of my progress against my notes. Hardly ever look at the guide during the walk, except at stops/breaks.
I am sure you have seen other online resources like Eroski, Gronze etc. You can get good accommodation, village info for staging. But, none of them give any better direction/maps for walking. If you have a smartphone, why not just download the english version of the Northern route from here for elevation profiles: http://tourism.euskadi.eus/contenidos/informacion/x65_folletos/en_x65/folletos/2011/santiago/Caminos del Norte INGLES.pdf

Are you doing the Primitivo?
Btw, like your new avatar.

Last edited:
Hi, This is the best English language guide on Norte. My initial impression was exactly the same, it is not as good/convenient as the Brierley's. The structure/presentation is different and takes some getting used to. But, information given is precise. The maps are broken to fit separate pages and lacks a visual presentation of the elevation profiles, compared to the Brierley's.

I was walking with a lot of Germans and they were using those outdoor guides. But would ask me for accommodation info from the Northern Camino guide. I got lost couple of times, and there was no one around to ask, I was able to look at the map, orient myself and walk in the right direction to re-connect with the Camino.

Every morning i would take a note of villages/bars and their distances expected on that stage. Then when i walk I just follow the well marked yellow arrows and keep track of my progress against my notes. Hardly ever look at the guide during the walk, except at stops/breaks.
I am sure you have seen other online resources like Eroski, Gronze etc. You can get good accommodation, village info for staging. But, none of them give any better direction/maps for walking. If you have a smartphone, why not just download the english version of the Northern route from here for elevation profiles: http://tourism.euskadi.eus/contenidos/informacion/x65_folletos/en_x65/folletos/2011/santiago/Caminos del Norte INGLES.pdf

Are you doing the Primitivo?
Btw, like your new avatar.
Thank you so much for the information! I haven't decided yet if I will choose the primitivo or not? What do you suggest?
Also how can I download the that link? Looks interesting!

Thank you so much for the information! I haven't decided yet if I will choose the primitivo or not? What do you suggest?
Also how can I download the that link? Looks interesting!
Well see how you like the Norte. You don't have to decide until Sabrayo where the route splits. If you get tired of the ocean/beach and up for some mountain trails go for it. You should be fitter by then too. Just shorten the stages to reflect the steeper ups/downs. It is one of the original caminos. Very special.

Just click on that pdf link. once it loads the file, just right click and choose "save as" to save it in a file on your laptop.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Well see how you like the Norte. You don't have to decide until Sabrayo where the route splits. If you get tired of the ocean/beach and up for some mountain trails go for it. You should be fitter by then too. Just shorten the stages to reflect the steeper ups/downs. It is one of the original caminos. Very special.

Just click on that pdf link. once it loads the file, just right click and choose "save as" to save it in a file on your laptop.
Ok i will try and do that so i can have it on my phone!so if I save it one my laptop then how i will pass it to my phone???hahaha! Many questions!
And as far as the route yes that is what I was thinking of doing...once I am close i will see what I feel and then decide!
Can't wait to be there!!!

Ok i will try and do that so i can have it on my phone!so if I save it one my laptop then how i will pass it to my phone???hahaha! Many questions!
And as far as the route yes that is what I was thinking of doing...once I am close i will see what I feel and then decide!
Can't wait to be there!!!
Several ways to transfer a file from your laptop to a smartphone:
1. send the file over bluetooth, if your smartphone has that interface.
2.connect the smartphone to your laptop via a usb cable, then just copy and paste between directories...
3. you can also use the browser from the smartphone directly to access this forum, click, save once its downloaded.
If you are not that savy with these devices, do ask a friend.
Buen camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Well I did the Frances last year and it was one of then best experiences of my life! So now I want to walk the coast and haven't decided if I will choose the primitivo also.
So just go by your heart and chose your way...:))))
Buen camino
My heart is saying norte as the combination of coast and hills and meeting the crowds for the final push appeals.

Buen camino

Several ways to transfer a file from your laptop to a smartphone:
1. send the file over bluetooth, if your smartphone has that interface.
2.connect the smartphone to your laptop via a usb cable, then just copy and paste between directories...
3. you can also use the browser from the smartphone directly to access this forum, click, save once its downloaded.
If you are not that savy with these devices, do ask a friend.
Buen camino.
Thank you for the reply! Done it and saved it! Now I will have both guides!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Scared...but happy!!!

Angeliki, I will begin the el Camino Norte in Irun June 3. Keep in touch, maybe we will cross paths in Bilbao. I have three months to make the 523 miles, which should only take six weeks, so, I guess I can take my time. Fr Scott

Scared...but happy!!!

Angeliki, I am starting the El Camino Norte in Irun June 3, 2015, we might cross paths in Bilbao. Fr Scott

Angeliki, I will begin the el Camino Norte in Irun June 3. Keep in touch, maybe we will cross paths in Bilbao. I have three months to make the 523 miles, which should only take six weeks, so, I guess I can take my time. Fr Scott
Yes you have plenty of time!!!!!!!
And you will enjoy your walk! So we might meet on the way!
Buen Camino!!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back