• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Booked out 6 months in advance? For real?

Just_Me

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugues (April 2019)
Hi all, I am starting my camino in April and have had a peek at some websites for accommodation as I am looking to mix it up a bit, just wanted to get a feel for pricing etc.
Much to my surprise these websites like hotel.com etc indicated that some places are already booked out! Is this for real?
Do I have to plan and book this far ahead if I don't want to end up in the race for a bed?
I thought that April was low season and therefore not a big demand for beds.
What has been the experience of fellow pilgrims?
Cheers and buen camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi all, I am starting my camino in April and have had a peek at some websites for accommodation as I am looking to mix it up a bit, just wanted to get a feel for pricing etc.
Much to my surprise these websites like hotel.com etc indicated that some places are already booked out! Is this for real?
Do I have to plan and book this far ahead if I don't want to end up in the race for a bed?
I thought that April was low season and therefore not a big demand for beds.
What has been the experience of fellow pilgrims?
Cheers and buen camino!
You should throw caution to the wind. I have done 10 Caminos and never booked and yet always had a bed. That's the whole adventure of the Camino.

I think it was the BBC that recently did a report on hotel booking websites and found that it was invariably cheaper to book directly with hotel as they then did not have to pay their commission to the hotel booking site. It may be worth you while emailing the lodgings direct.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You'll be fine in April,
There should be no need to book in advance at that time of year - or on that Camino.
I'm planning on the Portuguese Coastal next April/May and will start thinking about lodgings each day around 2 p.m. !!!
Bom caminho!

Somewhere along the way during my most recent camino, I read that the bookings sites typically assert that they have no spaces left at a number of places that appear lower down on the list they supply (creating a perception of general scarcity), and assert that few accommodations remain at the spot one is actively assessing. It encourages people to make the booking. Then, one arrives and frequently finds that the hostal, albergue, pension, etc. is not actually full at all.

I've never rebooked an albergue or refugio, but about once every 7 days I do seek a private room in some kind of accommodation. I use booking.com because even if it tacks on a premium, I can see easily that I have confirmation of exactly the product/service I was seeking; it's far easier than phoning (trying to hear, etc). But I ignore the assertions that my chosen sites have only one room left. I've seen the same assertion made for several days in a row without that last room disappearing.

Honestly, even for my most desired place to stay on my most recent trip (the Via de la Plata Spa in Astorga), I waited until I was 24 hours from destination to make the booking, and I would not consider doing a booking any further in advance than that. 6 months out?? No way. Practically speaking, there's too much that can prevent you from reaching a destination on the day you think you will. Many times I've ended up a day early or a day late to a place I'd provisionally marked on my calendar as an anticipated landing point.

This past summer, the provisional idea was that I would meet Spouse at Sahagún, but he had blisters and shin splints, so he slowed down, and I took the train to meet him at Fromistá. And our plan when we'd bought our flights was that I'd meet him in León. The original thoughts were days apart from the actuality. And that's why one does not try to book accommodations in advance on an intense walking trip.

Being prepared for Camino really requires letting go of the schedule (other than arrival and departure at the beginning and end of the journey, and I envy those who can have completely open-ended dates for returning home!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
grateful for all the comments, thank you. I was just looking to get a feel for pricing so I can budget.
I'm sure there is such a thread already existing in this subforum of Caminho Portugues. If not you can start a new one.

If a booking website tells you that no rooms are available, send the property an e-mail directly to make a reservation. Alternatively, use the property's website to book directly. Most but not all hostals, and casa rurales have their own website.

I use the MIcrosoft Translator or the Google Translator to compose a 'canned' reservation request, in Spanish. I save it on my iPhone, and reuse it, copying it then changing dates, towns and other information as needed. This works very well.

Finally, if you are staying somewhere and need to make a reservation, up the route for the next evening, ask the proprietor of the place you are at to call ahead for you to make the reservation. I found this is the best way, especially if the next place does not have e-mail. The local 'innkeepers' all know one another and take care of one another.

Hope this helps.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You should throw caution to the wind. I have done 10 Caminos and never booked and yet always had a bed. That's the whole adventure of the Camino.

I agree, I have also done 10 Caminos and never booked there are lots of little pensions along the way if you want private rooms. I do a mixture.

Relax. I booked a night in Pamplona from Tuesday to Wednesday 10 mins. ago on booking.com. 15 Euros incl. breakfast. Beds are no problem (unless you walk till late, maybe). In countless Caminos the last 10 years I have never missed a bed. But it depends on your behaviour.

You'll be fine in April,

There should be no need to book in advance at that time of year - or on that Camino.
I'm planning on the Portuguese Coastal next April/May and will start thinking about lodgings each day around 2 p.m. !!!
Bom caminho!
Hi Stephen. I am planning out the Portuguese coastal route starting next April (around 20th) have been worried there may not be any others on the route and as a solo traveller I was a bit panicked . I am hoping there will be a few at least doing it at that time

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Look up 'Semana Santa' in the threads, I seem to remember there was a good advisory on its effect on bookings a while back. Also make sure you understand what counts as Semana Santa, ie it's not a Friday, a weekend and a Monday.

Hi Stephen. I am planning out the Portuguese coastal route starting next April (around 20th) have been worried there may not be any others on the route and as a solo traveller I was a bit panicked . I am hoping there will be a few at least doing it at that time
Hi Tricia!
Sorry about delay - just got back from Costa Brava, walking a bit of the GR92.
My guess - and it can only be a guess - is that the Portuguese Coastal will be very quiet in April. You might meet two or three other pilgrims each day. It will be slighty busier when you rejoin the 'normal'camino: and it will probably be quite busy when you reach the "100 kms from Santiago" point.
It would be interesting to hear other peregrinos' views - especially my friend Albertinho if he reads this!!
If my body is up to it, I plan this route next year - April is such a lovely time on the caminos, with wild flowers in abundance. I hope our paths cross!
Bom caminho, Tricia!

I agree what others have written regarding hotels not releasing rooms to booking sites yet....but Just another consideration when you do book... April 19, 2019 is Easter so expect, Semana Santa, Holy Week, to be a very busy time!
April 19th is my birthday and every time Easter falls on this day I feel especially blessed!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back