• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Booking accommodation for 2023 Camino Frances

Margogram

Time of past OR future Camino
May/June 2023
I have had difficulty booking the first few nights along the Camino, beginning in SJPDP. Some of it is my fault, not being familiar with the area but when I figure it out, all the spaces are booked. I wonder if I need to book my trip entirely before I leave (May 1). I had hoped I could be a little more spontaneous but not so sure now. I'd welcome your booking experiences. Thank you

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Personally, I would not. Get the first 2 or three days figured out and reassess at Pamplona. What are you using to "book"? Booking.com will only have a few beds at each place, but not all so there may be other beds if you call or WhatsApp directly. We seldom book ahead, but usually stay places where reservations are not taken.

Gronze.com will list places to stay in each village along the way and will tell you if reservations are taken at that establishment. Use a Google browser as the site is in Spanish, but will be automatically translated by Google. If you find places are filling up, stay at "in between" places listed on Gronze.com.

Margogram,

May 1, 2023, is a public holiday in France, Spain and Portugal. It is Labor day/ Fête de Travail/ Día del Trabajador / Dia do Trabalho. Much will be closed. In 2023 it occurs on a Monday. Multitudes of tourists will travel that weekend.Transport and accommodation is usually heavily booked in advance.

Be prepared !!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I agree that booking up to/through Pamplona is a good idea at this time of year. Have you contacted the properties directly, or are you looking on sites like booking.com? The booking sites don't have access to all of the rooms/beds, and some places aren't on booking sites or don't take reservations, such as municipal and parochial albergues.

If Zubiri is full on your night before Pamplona, then book Puente la Reina on your night after Pamplona. Pamplona has enough beds that you usually don't have to worry about booking it. That's unless there is a festival or holiday.

I am currently walking between Sansol where I started now in Granon. I am amazed at the number of walkers. I can’t speak for big towns, but in smaller places albergues are totally full as is private accomodation and it’s not yet the beginning of May. Where I am staying tonight they are fully booked EVERY night until the end of June. This year is like no other I have walked…. Perhaps normal expectations need to be modified.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We are walking shorter distances & staying in towns like Linzoain, Zalbadika, Uterga, Maneru, Luquin, Estella, etc. Try that?

I prefer to have our accommodation pre- booked as we are a group of 4, and have already done that for our September walk on the Frances. I recently heard back from a small private lodging asking us to re-confirm, as she has had many requests for those rooms.

I am currently walking between Sansol where I started now in Granon. I am amazed at the number of walkers. I can’t speak for big towns, but in smaller places albergues are totally full as is private accomodation and it’s not yet the beginning of May. Where I am staying tonight they are fully booked EVERY night until the end of June. This year is like no other I have walked…. Perhaps normal expectations need to be modified.
This made me curious, so I just checked Booking, and there are some places available for tonight in Granyon, and more in Santo Domingo de la Calzada. If someone could scramble together a group of 3-4 to share a place, they'd even be at really good rates. And that's just a quick glance on Booking, which doesn't have all the rooms available.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This made me curious, so I just checked Booking, and there are some places available for tonight in Granyon, and more in Santo Domingo de la Calzada. If someone could scramble together a group of 3-4 to share a place, they'd even be at really good rates. And that's just a quick glance on Booking, which doesn't have all the rooms available.
Good thinking!

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back