• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Booking Accommodation in Irun for Early June: Tips and Recommendations

Anne Mclennan

Time of past OR future Camino
2009 Camino Portuguese
2018 Camino Frances
Hi
A friend and I start from Irun on 6 June this year. I’m trying to book accommodation for the first few days but see many places don’t open until April 1. And also I see that the Igueldo campsite is closed for renovations until 15 May.
Nonetheless I’ve emailed or Whatsapp’d a few places to try to book but have had no replies to date.
Should I be too fussed about booking now? That is if I contact places in early April should that be sufficient?
Also does anyone know anymore information about the Igueldo campsite reopening Or is there alternative accommodation in Igueldo?

Thanks
Anne

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Anne,

Generally speaking: Spain is a civilised country. So there’s no need to worry about ending up in the gutter. ;)

Whenever I walk a Camino I normally don’t make reservations. I really like just starting to walk in the morning, not knowing where I will be spending the next night. My backup plan being taking a bus/train/taxi to take me to a place where there is a bed for me. So far, I never had to use this escape. The few times I was confronted with a full albergue, I could easily make it to a next one. On 1 or 2 occasions I went to a (very reasonably priced) hotel.

After 5 Camino’s without making reservations I have never had to spend a night in the open air.

I’m only telling you this to put your mind at ease. Second: on the Del Norte there are plenty of places to sleep. Check out Gronze.com (also for alternatives for spending the night in or nearby Igueldo):

Happy planning!

I like to book my first night (depending on the route) and this may be a little early yet. One issue with booking too many nights in advance is that if your schedule does change, you have to try to do a big reshuffle. I think it is a bit early yet for some reservations. Many people go with no reservations and just see where they might like to stop or only call ahead for just the next day. You will find what works best for you.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi
A friend and I start from Irun on 6 June this year. I’m trying to book accommodation for the first few days but see many places don’t open until April 1. And also I see that the Igueldo campsite is closed for renovations until 15 May.
Nonetheless I’ve emailed or Whatsapp’d a few places to try to book but have had no replies to date.
Should I be too fussed about booking now? That is if I contact places in early April should that be sufficient?
Also does anyone know anymore information about the Igueldo campsite reopening Or is there alternative accommodation in Igueldo?

Thanks
Anne
Hi, I walked the Norte, starting in June last year, I found that San Sebastian was a sticking point, & had a bit of a bed race, until passing santander, as you progress along the Norte you will find the Pilgrims start to thin out, I used Gronze, which was opened in Google chrome, then used Google translate, which then enabled me to try to plan a few days ahead.
A beautiful, thought provoking camino, don't miss Sobrado Dos Monxes, which is a place of tranquility before hitting the French route.
Buen camino
Graham

Hi

Thanks
Anne
Relax and don't worry about it! I've yet to run into someone who didn't have a place to stay at night!!

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back