• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Booking accomodation before/during/after Easter

Gumba

Time of past OR future Camino
Winter CF2018 Winter CF2019-20
We are a family of 4 and have decided not to take sleeping bags or sleep dorm style (of a number of reasons).

After arriving from Australia, understandably, we want to know that we have a place to stay and a bed to collapse into for the first few days. So I have booked sjpdp, am awaiting to hear back from Hotel Ronsesvalles and have book Zubiri.

We would probably arrive in Burgos on the weekend of Easter. I have read that the celebrations begin about a week out from Easter and that many Europeans start their Camino on the Easter weekend, so I assume Burgos will be one of the main starting points?

For this reason I would like to book accom from sjpdp to a couple of nights past Burgos.

Could the experienced among you please take a look at my proposed itinerary and let me know what you think? I used Godesalco and have selected towns based on the accom that they provide (ie looking for Albergues with private/family rooms or hotels..

Sa, 17 Mar -- Arrive Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port—accom booked – 0km

Su, 18-Mar--- Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port - Roncesvalles-- ???? Hotel Roncesvalles ????-- 25.3 km

Mo, 19-Mar--- Roncesvalles - Zubiri—accom booked-- 22.1 km

Tu, 20-Mar--- Zubiri - Pamplona-- 2R, 6P, H-- 21 km

We, 21-Mar--- Pamplona - Puente la Reina-- R, 5P, C, H-- 24.5 km

Th, 22-Mar--- Puente la Reina - Estella-- 3R, P, 2A, C, H-- 22.3 km

Fr, 23-Mar--- Estella - Los Arcos-- R, P, H-- 21.6 km

Sa, 24-Mar--- Los Arcos - Logroño-- 2R, 5P, C, H-- 28.6 km

Su, 25-Mar--- Logroño - Nájera-- R, 5P, C, H-- 29.5 km

Mo, 26-Mar--- Nájera - Santo Domingo de la Calzada-- R, P, C, H-- 21.5 km

Tu, 27-Mar--- Santo Domingo de la Calzada - Belorado-- R, 4P, H-- 23.4 km

We, 28-Mar--- Belorado - Agés-- R, 2P-- 28.1 km

Th, 29-Mar--- Agés - Burgos-- 3R, P, C, H-- 22.9 km

Fr, 30-Mar--- Burgos - Hornillos del Camino-- R, 2P, H-- 21.3 km

Sa, 31-Mar--- Hornillos del Camino - Castrojeriz-- 2R, 4P, C, H-- 20.4 km

Su, 1-Apr--- Castrojeriz - Frómista-- 4P, H-- 25.5 km

Mo, 2-Apr--- Frómista - Carrión de los Condes-- 4R, C, H-- 19.8 km

Tu, 3-Apr--- Carrión de los Condes - Calzadilla de la Cueza-- R, 2P, H-- 17.5 km

We, 4-Apr--- Calzadilla de la Cueza - Sahagún-- 2R, 2P, C, H-- 23.1 km

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you are leaving SJPP on 18th you might want to check if the higher route (Route Napoleon) is open. AFAIK it is not so you'll be using the lower Valcarlos route.

You can easily check at the Pilgrim office at SJPP when you get there on 17th as they have all the latest weather information and you'll be able to get your first stamp.

Alternatively send an email to Express Bouricott as they operate a taxi service up to the top of the RN pass. (http://www.expressbourricot.com/contact-and-booking/) They'll confirm if it is open for them and therefore others.

I understand your concerns surrounding Easter however until Burgos you are looking at almost 300k. Easy enough to book but can you keep to the itinerary? Six hours unrelenting rain; blisters forming on, around and under other blisters; family rebellion; a late start/long lunch on a 28k day; an unexpected attack of Boabdil's Revenge or even just the Flu; a fixed timeline may grant some feelings of security-it may also lead to frustration and worry around 1430 as the day drags on and one missed stopover will knock it all head over sitting down place. Plan well but remain flexible!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The stages you proposed look quite OK. Anyhow I would only think in the first 3 or 4 stages. Later on you will walk more or less of what you think now, you will meet other pilgrims that will have different alternatives,... and the Camino won´t be SO crowded (really it won´t be crowded at all on those dates), with these 3 or 4 days planning you will be 100% safe! :)

Buen Camino & Ultreia!!

...Alternatively send an email to Express Bouricott as they operate a taxi service up to the top of the RN pass. (http://www.expressbourricot.com/contact-and-booking/)
Thanks for the express bouricot details - I will look into this. The Napoleon does not open before 1 April - or later, depending on weather so we are definitely going via Valcarlos. Actually, on the first day we are planning to walk as far as Valcarlos and getting a taxi to Roncesvalles - so the first day is really ony 11km

I understand your concerns surrounding Easter however until Burgos you are looking at almost 300k. Easy enough to book but can you keep to the itinerary? Six hours unrelenting rain; blisters forming on, around and under other blisters; family rebellion; a late start/long lunch on a 28k day; an unexpected attack of Boabdil's Revenge or even just the Flu; a fixed timeline may grant some feelings of security-it may also lead to frustration and worry around 1430 as the day drags on and one missed stopover will knock it all head over sitting down place. Plan well but remain flexible!
Thanks Scruffy1 - you make very valid points.

The stages you proposed look quite OK. Anyhow I would only think in the first 3 or 4 stages. Later on you will walk more or less of what you think now, you will meet other pilgrims that will have different alternatives,... and the Camino won´t be SO crowded (really it won´t be crowded at all on those dates), with these 3 or 4 days planning you will be 100% safe! :)

Buen Camino & Ultreia!!
Good points, thank you. Perhaps I need to curb my insatiable need for order and forward planning and just book the first few nights. From there, I will book a few nights in advance. I would not worry if it was just me in an albergue but family accommodation is a little trickier which is why I am a little stressed over the accommodation side of things..

thanks all

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.