• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Booking Accomodation before I go

Gillers

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk part of the Camino in 2016
Hey :)

Im looking at booking a trip last minute, going from 6th to 12th August doing the Sarria to Santiago route.

Should I book some sort of accomodation for each night while there, or should I just look to find accomodation at each stop?

Out of interest, roughly what % of people would pre-book accomodation?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you only book one day in advance, you will have the flexibility to change your destination each day. Most do not book in advance. August is busy, though. There are mixed reports in July about the availability of beds. The stops that are not major stopping points seem to have beds. Lots of pilgrims have success with booking.com for non-albergue accommodations. Buen camino.

I would just call in the morning the place you want to reach the same day.
Buen Camino, SY

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
In Jun, I booked ahead. There were a couple of reasons for this:
  • my wife and I wanted a private room if we could get one
  • we walked slowly together, and early on we had faced the prospect of not finding anywhere to sleep in one town because we had arrived later in the day.
In the couple of places I did check from Sarria, there was still dormitory accommodation available later in the day, but I was not doing this consistently. My feeling is that if you start looking for somewhere to stay the night in the early afternoon, you have a better than reasonable prospect of finding a bed in a dormitory. My experience was that if you are after a private room, you need to be looking out a couple of days at least. Even then you might have the choice between relatively expensive beds or taking your chance finding a dormitory bed at a Xunta albergue.

Thanks all for replies so far :)

I guess as I plan to travel on my own, it would be good to meet people in the different places I stay to trade stories.

Do most albergues have showers and somewhere to wash and maybe hang out to dry a pair of socks and a t-shirt?

If you stay in an albergues, do most of them serve breakfast or would you have to find a cafe close by?

Thanks

Thanks all for replies so far :)

I guess as I plan to travel on my own, it would be good to meet people in the different places I stay to trade stories.

Do most albergues have showers and somewhere to wash and maybe hang out to dry a pair of socks and a t-shirt?

If you stay in an albergues, do most of them serve breakfast or would you have to find a cafe close by?

Thanks

Hi, Gillers,

All albergues I've ever stayed in have showers, and places to wash and dry clothes. Many also have washing machines for a few euros.

Municipal albergues don't serve breakfast, but usually have kitchens. Private albergues frequently offer breakfast at an early hour, unless you're in a town with a lot of bars that take care of the morning pilgrim traffic. From Sarria to Santiago, there is no shortage of places that open early and serve breakfast. Bueno camino, Laurie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi there,
Good luck on your Camino. For what it's worth it depends what time u plan starting your day.Most people start by 6 when it is cool for a while to get most of your journey done before it gets too hot,especially the hills etc
We found that if we tried to plan leaving at 6 that by 8 am most cafe/bars were open and some do open at 6.30 .
The section you are doing gets quite busy so if you are getting there late it might Bevan idea to book one of the "pension' private albergues as the public & municipal can be busy,and it could be 10 km to the next albergue if you don't get a place. On booking. com there is usually free cancellation anyway up to 24 hr before your stay.
Lots of luck& best wishes,hope you have a good Camino.
Anna

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back