• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Booking ahead and boot panic attack

Hugh Byrne

Time of past OR future Camino
Sarria to Santiago
I'm a Camino amateur, never having attempted the way before so excuse my simple questions. My wife and I plan to arrive in each place and book beds in dormitories on arrival. We begin our camino on Sunday morning next the 30th Oct in Sarria, heading for Santiago. Is this a wise course of action, not booking ahead, and will there be spaces available do you good people think? Also after a dark night of fear last night I have opted to stick with my leather boots, worn in but heavy, too late to introduce my feet to new footwear I imagine, I'm wearing them to work each day now to re introduce my feet to the boots, am I crazy? too many questions maybe so I'll stop. Buen Camino :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
In November/very end of October you will do just fine with not booking ahead. If your boots are comfy and as we are going towards winter, you will do fine also with that. All will work out as it has for hundreds of thousands of other pilgrims. Buen Camino, SY

I finished walking the Camino Frances last week. There was no great pressure on albergue beds in the last couple of weeks. As for boots - I wear leather safety boots on my long distance walks and love them. In my opinion any extra weight is more than justified by the protection of toes, soles and ankles on some pretty rough surfaces. Sum total of one insignificant blister in nearly 800km of walking. If you know that your boots fit well and are comfortable then I would stick with them.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I finished walking the Camino Frances last week. There was no great pressure on albergue beds in the last couple of weeks. As for boots - I wear leather safety boots on my long distance walks and love them. In my opinion any extra weight is more than justified by the protection of toes, soles and ankles on some pretty rough surfaces. Sum total of one insignificant blister in nearly 800km of walking. If you know that your boots fit well and are comfortable then I would stick with them.
Thanks Bradypus, advice much appreciated

In November/very end of October you will do just fine with not booking ahead. If your boots are comfy and as we are going towards winter, you will do fine also with that. All will work out as it has for hundreds of thousands of other pilgrims. Buen Camino, SY
Thanks SY, am seriously excited by the enthusiasm I read about what I'm about to take part in, hopefully it wont pass me by. Do you think bedbugs are an issue I'd need to take seriously?

I wore heavy leather boots on my Camino and am planning to on my next. I wear meindl Burma pros. I found a lot of people hurt their feet on some particularly rocky sections of the Camino. Something I didn't even notice with my boots so from my experience I would stick with the boots

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
.... Do you think bedbugs are an issue I'd need to take seriously?

Sadly yes and there is very little that you can do to prevent them biting you. A lot what you can do about not carrying them onwards and even more what you can do not to take them home. Buen Camino, SY

Thanks SY, am seriously excited by the enthusiasm I read about what I'm about to take part in, hopefully it wont pass me by. Do you think bedbugs are an issue I'd need to take seriously?
Yes, do take the bug bed issue seriously as with a few simple things you can do now will help keep the bugs away and increase the chance of a carefree Camino.

Permethryn sprayed to the outside of backpack and sleeping bag is the course of action, following spraying instruction carefully: do not come in contact with the product whole still wet, do not use around cats and fish etc. I also carry a large peice of tule sprayed with permetryn and use it as a bed sheet over the mattress. It's an added lauer a protection to keep the bugs away.

Do not put your backpack on the beds, hospitaleros will chastise you for doing as as it help spread the bugs from albergue to albergue. Also, if you get them, please inform the albergues where you have been the 2 nights before and the one where you want to spend the night. They will take you through the motions of getting your kits washed and dried at temps etc.

Only a minority of people encounter bed bugs, but when you get them it is no fun, nor is the thought you could be bringing them back home.

I have opted to stick with my leather boots, worn in but heavy, too late to introduce my feet to new footwear I imagine, I'm wearing them to work each day now to re introduce my feet to the boots, am I crazy?
I would say you are right in taking well broken-in boots, and I prefer boots to shoes when the weather may be rainy, or muddy, or slippery, or uneven...but I've spent my adult life--many decades-- in flight boots every day, so to me boots are normal footwear.

I especially second the thought: nothing new, not this close to leaving.

With perhaps one or two slight notes: how old are your boots, and have you been walking in them for hours at a time? I would still go with something broken in, but be alert for signs that the boots may be too small (even if you wear them standing for hours on end, your feet may still swell more when you are walking for hours on end), or if these are years old, the support may be gone and need new insoles. If you see signs of either of these, you can always buy new insoles (or shoes if you must, but I would hope not) while you are walking.

I am a believer that you should try to keep pack weight down for comfort sake, but not be crazy about it. How well something works for you is more important than shaving off a couple of ounces imho. And I don't think we really notice the weight on our bodies, as we are used to walking around with clothes (most of us).
Buen Camino

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
No. I never took bedbugs seriously and I've done the Camino multiple times. Have never had a bedbug encounter on over 120 nights in all kinds of albergues and other accommodations on the Camino.
I would be way more concerned with the right footwear, than the slightest possibility of being bitten by a bedbug.
Walk without worry or concern, otherwise, what's the point?
cheers, buen Camino and ultreia

2008, 2009, 2010: No bites.
2011, 2012, 2013: Bites
2014, 2015, 2016: No bites.

Apart from 2008 I walked in prime bug season. I was bitten on the Camino Frances and Voie Littorale, but not on any other routes.

No. I never took bedbugs seriously and I've done the Camino multiple times. Have never had a bedbug encounter on over 120 nights in all kinds of albergues and other accommodations on the Camino.
I would be way more concerned with the right footwear, than the slightest possibility of being bitten by a bedbug.
Walk without worry or concern, otherwise, what's the point?
cheers, buen Camino and ultreia
Thanks Mark, just a bit of paranoia, i hate the bit before getting going on an adventure, it's like before you dive into the sea, longer you put it off, the colder it gets...but then it's brilliant when you take the plunge. reassurance appreciated.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
2008, 2009, 2010: No bites.
2011, 2012, 2013: Bites
2014, 2015, 2016: No bites.

Apart from 2008 I walked in prime bug season. I was bitten on the Camino Frances and Voie Littorale, but not on any other routes.
Thanks AJ, trying to tick too many boxes here I think, I'm ure I'll be grand.

I would say you are right in taking well broken-in boots, and I prefer boots to shoes when the weather may be rainy, or muddy, or slippery, or uneven...but I've spent my adult life--many decades-- in flight boots every day, so to me boots are normal footwear.

I especially second the thought: nothing new, not this close to leaving.

With perhaps one or two slight notes: how old are your boots, and have you been walking in them for hours at a time? I would still go with something broken in, but be alert for signs that the boots may be too small (even if you wear them standing for hours on end, your feet may still swell more when you are walking for hours on end), or if these are years old, the support may be gone and need new insoles. If you see signs of either of these, you can always buy new insoles (or shoes if you must, but I would hope not) while you are walking.

I am a believer that you should try to keep pack weight down for comfort sake, but not be crazy about it. How well something works for you is more important than shaving off a couple of ounces imho. And I don't think we really notice the weight on our bodies, as we are used to walking around with clothes (most of us).
Buen Camino
Thanks Smallest sparrow, I had been considering changing the insoles but a bit wary on account of the "change nothing so close" idea but I think I'll bring a spare, maybe gel insoles, not sure about them but i'll take advice. Bit concerned about backpack too as it's been a whie since I hiked with a decent sized backpack, just pre match nerves but so looking forward to this, it feels like it's important. Thanks again and buen camino to you too.

Sadly yes and there is very little that you can do to prevent them biting you. A lot what you can do about not carrying them onwards and even more what you can do not to take them home. Buen Camino, SY
Thanks SY, fingers crossed.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I wore heavy leather boots on my Camino and am planning to on my next. I wear meindl Burma pros. I found a lot of people hurt their feet on some particularly rocky sections of the Camino. Something I didn't even notice with my boots so from my experience I would stick with the boots
Thanks Laurencetang, reassuring. I'm sticking to the plan, someone else kindly suggested to look at new insoles as the boots ar 12 years on the road, so I might do that. Buen camino.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Should you have problems with the weight of your backpack you can arrange transportation very easily in any place along the camino...
Thanks Giorgio, I'd prefer to carry my life on my back for a few days and hopefully will be able to but good to know there's an option if I find it too difficult.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Carrying your backpack also means in won't come in contact with bags that may be carrying bugs while in the van.

Thanks Smallest sparrow, I had been considering changing the insoles but a bit wary on account of the "change nothing so close" idea but I think I'll bring a spare, maybe gel insoles, not sure about them but i'll take advice. Bit concerned about backpack too as it's been a whie since I hiked with a decent sized backpack, just pre match nerves but so looking forward to this, it feels like it's important. Thanks again and buen camino to you too.
Personally, at least for me, the insoles are just as important as the shoes/boots you wear, especially when walking long distances. I carried a couple of extra pairs of different types of insoles in my pack when I walked the CF. Came in handy when the pair I was using wasn't working very well. Switched to a set with more cushioning and support. Made all the difference.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Personally, at least for me, the insoles are just as important as the shoes/boots you wear, especially when walking long distances. I carried a couple of extra pairs of different types of insoles in my pack when I walked the CF. Came in handy when the pair I was using wasn't working very well. Switched to a set with more cushioning and support. Made all the difference.
Thats a really good tip, last minute shopping tomorrow, insoles top of my list. Thanks and buen Camino wherever you are smallest sparrow

Thats a really good tip, last minute shopping tomorrow, insoles top of my list. Thanks and buen Camino wherever you are smallest sparrow
Since some aftermarket insoles are thicker, they take up more room in the boot/shoe. Take that into consideration. If not, could lead to rubbing spots and blisters. When I switched out to another set of insoles, I also switched to a really thin pair of synthetic running socks to counter that.

Thanks Mark, would not have thought of that but spoke to a man in a sports shop in waterford who knows his stuff so hoping to deal with it tomorrow, thanks again

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hey. I use sorbothane double strike insoles. Gods padded ones. Recently I've been using superfeet insoles which aren't really padded but are foot correcting soles and seem to be doing well. As far as bed bugs go I walked in summer of 2012 and heard reports of them in ponferada so skipped the albergue. Luckily managed to get a €40 room for the night in a 4 star hotel last minute. Was great

Should you have problems with the weight of your backpack you can arrange transportation very easily in any place along the camino...
When sending your backpack, should it be good to take a little day backpack within the backpack?

When sending your backpack, should it be good to take a little day backpack within the backpack?

Yes, and in reality you will need to carry a lot of your stuff in said day pack: guide book, water, rain protection, sun protection, warmer layer, first aid kit etc. The things you can send ahead are your main backpack, your sleeping bag, your soap etc and the clothes you will wear the next day. Is that worth the loss of freedom/spontaneity? Only you can decide, Buen Camino, SY

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes, and in reality you will need to carry a lot of your stuff in said day pack: guide book, water, rain protection, sun protection, warmer layer, first aid kit etc. The things you can send ahead are your main backpack, your sleeping bag, your soap etc and the clothes you will wear the next day. Is that worth the loss of freedom/spontaneity? Only you can decide, Buen Camino, SY
Yessss, I agree. That is the reason why I like to take this time my whole backpack, because the organisation each day of doing what in the daypack and what sending ahead caused Some stress every morning o_O on my last Camino. I got a little chaotic from it every day ; ))
But I am a bit insecure if I can manage walking with all in the backpack. So I hope now when walking longer for 5 weeks I can leave my need of control behind me :rolleyes:

I am Reading your book so to give me Some piece of mind and trust :p

... But I am a bit insecure if I can manage walking with all in the backpack. So I hope now when walking longer for 5 weeks I can leave my need of control behind me :rolleyes:

Feel free to post your intended packing list here on the forum and we all will give you our, sometimes differencing, opinions on what to take and what to leave behind ;-) Buen Camino, SY

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Feel free to post your intended packing list here on the forum and we all will give you our, sometimes differencing, opinions on what to take and what to leave behind ;-) Buen Camino, SY
First I am looking around for a good fitting backpack. For the daypack I had a very good one from Vaude with a little frame so that it a bit away from my back and therefore Some airconditioned ; ) and it is very light. But only 20l. So it Will be a new searching and looking around and walking in shops with new backpacks....:p:rolleyes:o_O

I think you may be more able to do this walk than you give yourself credit...but for peace of mind there are a few places you might be able to send your pack without too much fear of loss of spontaneity. One might be ahead from SJPdP to Roncesvalles (check ahead of time that this will be OK with the albergue...if you are staying in one of the pensions, or booking ahead then this should be OK)...same with Orisson or one of the places on Valcarlos. This might give you a break your first day. I only walked part of the Frances, but another place that comes to mind is sending it ahead to molinaseca or ponferrada (from Rabanal/Foncebadon/el Acebo) ...again especially if you are prebooking at ponferrada or molinaseca because the descent from El Acebo could be hard on the knees. You will know before you get there how your knees are doing. While there are many places to stop every few km along the Frances, the roads that are hardest on the knees seemed to me to have less stopping options anyway.
I would estimate the two heaviest items strapped to each walker's back are the pack itself, and the sleeping bag. If the road you will be walking that day seems it might be difficult, I'd consider the send pack ahead option for that one step...the problem is, you still need to carry some food and water, so have a light sack for that.

Last edited:
Hey. I use sorbothane double strike insoles. Gods padded ones. Recently I've been using superfeet insoles which aren't really padded but are foot correcting soles and seem to be doing well. As far as bed bugs go I walked in summer of 2012 and heard reports of them in ponferada so skipped the albergue. Luckily managed to get a €40 room for the night in a 4 star hotel last minute. Was great
Thanks , I'll bear those brands in mind, heading to the shop this pm, and for the tip about Ponferda. The odd night in a 4star does no one any harm!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I think you may be more able to do this walk than you give yourself credit...but for peace of mind there are a few places you might be able to send your pack without too much fear of loss of spontaneity. One might be ahead from SJPdP to Roncesvalles (check ahead of time that this will be OK with the albergue...if you are staying in one of the pensions, or booking ahead then this should be OK)...same with Orisson or one of the places on Valcarlos. This might give you a break your first day. I only walked part of the Frances, but another place that comes to mind is sending it ahead to molinaseca or ponferrada (from Rabanal/Foncebadon/el Acebo) ...again especially if you are prebooking at ponferrada or molinaseca because the descent from El Acebo could be hard on the knees. You will know before you get there how your knees are doing. While there are many places to stop every few km along the Frances, the roads that are hardest on the knees seemed to me to have less stopping options anyway.
I would estimate the two heaviest items strapped to each walker's back are the pack itself, and the sleeping bag. If the road you will be walking that day seems it might be difficult, I'd consider the send pack ahead option for that one step...the problem is, you still need to carry some food and water, so have a light sack for that.
Thanks again for your advice smallest sparrow, I think I'll put my faith in myself and the spirit of my Camino and walk my first day, taking it easy, carrying my backpack etc. I'm travelling light and although I have not walked consecutive days over 20k a day, I have walked in the mountains for days at a time and found it ok. The lead in has given me too much time to think about it. Sunday morning, boot on the ground and away I'll go.

You might want to talk to a podiatrist about this for confirmation (I'm only a massage therapist), but I don't think gel insoles are a good idea...ever. They allow your foot to spread with each step you take and can lead to overstretched tendon issues and even plantar fasciaitis, which can range from mild to debilitating pain. Insoles are a good idea, but why not check with an outdoor adventure store or sports store which should carry good quality insoles with support.

I am sure you are on your way and travelling by now.
I walked with a friend from Sarria to Santiago at the end of September 2016 and then on to Finisterrre in the first week of October. At Portomarin we hadn't reserved and the first Albergue was full but the second one we tried had space and was good. For peace of mind and to save having to search for a bed on arrival we booked albergues 24hrs ahead. We asked the hospitaleros to do this for us which they willingly did. This way we didn't have to worry about arriving early enough to get a bed or even more important guaranteeing we would have bottom bunks. On account of old age and injuries experienced on previous Camino walks on CF I get my rucksack transported. This again can be arranged from day to day with help from the albergues. All the albergues we stayed in on the year's walk we found to be very clean and of good standard. I think in October it will be less busy and finding a bed will not be a problem on this section.
Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I don't think gel insoles are a good idea...ever. They allow your foot to spread with each step you take and can lead to overstretched tendon issues
I don't understand this. My shoes are big enough that I have room to wiggle my toes when standing. There is expansion room for my feet to spread with each step. Is this a bad thing?

I don't understand this. My shoes are big enough that I have room to wiggle my toes when standing. There is expansion room for my feet to spread with each step. Is this a bad thing?
No, that's the way your boot is supposed to fit. But that's different from the way your muscles spread when you step on a gel sole. These do t give a lot of support. I'll admit they feel good in a slipper at the end of th day...sort term. But your feet won't thank you after walking several miles in them each day. Just my opinion based on my experience and the experience of countless of my clients. Like I said, you can always check with a podiatrist on this.

But your feet won't thank you after walking several miles in them each day.
That's interesting. I once got a pair of shoes that came with a gel inner sole. I didn't like them, mainly because they seemed to absorb so much impact/force, that I couldn't get enough push on each step. It seemed to require more work to walk briskly. I am now happy with a fairly firm orthotic.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back