• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Booking ahead and misc. questions for a first timer

Rilex77

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (May 2018)
Hello all! I will start my very first camino on tomorrow and I am so excited and very nervous. I am doing the last 100k or so to Santiago from Sarria. I've booked a place in Sarria for tomorrow night because my train from Madrid will arrive in the evening. I was wondering if I should book ahead for the rest of my trip. The reading I've done so far suggests that it is not quite the busy season yet but it is picking up. I'm just a nervous I will struggle with finding a place.

Also, does anyone know of a good place to get the camino credential in Sarria?

Any last minute advice to keep from making rookie mistakes?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I don't think you'll have too much trouble finding lodging. Just be flexible - if the first place you try is full, go to the next one, and maybe walk to the next town if you are striking out - often the people running the alberques will call ahead for you to see of another place has space if you choose to walk on. Also, in addition to alberques, there are casa rurales and hotels available - more money than a bed in an alberque, but if you have the budget, they are a good option.

A lot of people follow the stages in guidebooks - Bierley is a popular one - so lodging in the towns at the end of each published stage tend to fill up. One method to avoid that is just to stop in other towns other than the ones at the ends of those stages.

Also, if you are finding places are filling up, then perhaps stop a little earlier in the day - walk until 2 instead of 3 or 4, for example.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello all! I will start my very first camino on tomorrow and I am so excited and very nervous. I am doing the last 100k or so to Santiago from Sarria. I've booked a place in Sarria for tomorrow night because my train from Madrid will arrive in the evening. I was wondering if I should book ahead for the rest of my trip. The reading I've done so far suggests that it is not quite the busy season yet but it is picking up. I'm just a nervous I will struggle with finding a place.

Also, does anyone know of a good place to get the camino credential in Sarria?

Any last minute advice to keep from making rookie mistakes?

Having done the same walk last June, we were glad to have made reservations for the end of each stage. Not so much because of crowds, but just to not have to search for accommodations at the conclusion of every long and hot day! It made things easy.

I can't answer where to acquire a credencial (pilgrim passport) in Sarria, as we had ours before leaving home. If you mean a sello (stamp that goes in the credencial), your lodging in Sarria should be able to provide that.

Have a wonderful experience!

The big change I notice after reaching Sarria is no one takes their backpack off when they go into restaurants and bars. You really need to take it off, as there just isn't room to turn around without hitting someone. Those of us who have been walking for weeks just leave the backpack outside - knowing that if it gets taken we don't have to carry it any longer! ;)
There are so many people starting out from Sarria, so don't worry about making rookie mistakes. Just try to take it slow, and look after your feet. Buen camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
See the recent thread entitled. "Busy May on the Meseta". It mentions that the CF is currently busy with tour groups taking up many accommodations. There's lots out there. Just be persistent.

Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back