• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Booking ahead around May 1 ???????

hillarysloss

I"m leaving Le Puy on April 20 and am a bit concerned about all I've read about MAY 1 and the busy accommodations at that time. I'm just wondering: how can I know now how many Ks I'll want to walk each day and where to book ahead? I've made reservations for my first two nights only ... Should I really book ahead until May 4th or May 6th or ??? Any feedback/input/ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! Hillary

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Hillary,
It will be busier around May 1st, but it won't be as bad walking nearer to Le Puy as it would be if you were leaving SJPP, (where it sounds like chaos ensues for a few days!) Since May 1st is a Friday, the whole weekend will in fact become a long weekend in France. Friday and Saturday nights will be the busiest nights to get a place, but Thursday and Sunday may also be busier than usual. Once you have been walking for a few days, by about the 26th, you will have a fairly good idea of the kind of pace you are making, and should be able to 'guesstimate' where you will be for the days of the long weekend. That would be soon enough to ring ahead and reserve. You might also want to think about getting demi-pension if you can around that time, as food can otherwise be tricky to obtain in France during long weekends.

You also need to watch out for booking on the weekend near May 8th, as well as Ascension and Pentecost whenever they fall this year. The French love their holidays and May has a few of them!!

All the best- it won't be long before you hit the trail! This time last year I was nearly in Paris, just about to head to Le Puy, and I find the memory of it all most exciting!
Margaret

Maggie,

Your advice is very reasonable and sound, as always. Thank you! Also, I've had your words in my head while shopping for shoes ... the Goretex shoes I tried were TOO HOT, and the high-end Vasque boots not comfortable ... so I went with the super comfy, lo-rise Merrells! I figured if they were good for Maggie, they'll be good for me too! I'm off in one week, still so much to do, moments of panic -- will I get everything done? And the sadness and anxiety of leaving home, all mixed in with much excitement and joy. Whew! Thank you for sharing so much of your story. Love, Hillary

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
That is interesting to hear about the Goretex being hot: I live in hope that one day I am going to find a more waterproof shoe that is still light while remaining in a woman's sizing/proportions.....one day I might find it, but it is tricky when you need a (US) size 11.

All the best Hillary. I know it is quite difficult to find internet access on the Le Puy route, but if you get a chance, let us know how you are going.
Margaret

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.