• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

booking ahead at albergue

gazzababe

there are so many albergues along the camino frances, i am walking from sjpp to santiago in eary august, its my first time. i am not sure where i am going to be at certain times on the trail, do you have to book in advance for most albergues?? thanks gary

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Gary, there are 4 different types of albergues - some can be booked but most dont take reservations, its first come first served.
Below is a list of albergues on the Camino Frances compiled last year. (There may be more that have opened, and some may have closed.)
I have included those that can be booked ahead.
August is always the busiest month due to European holidays so it might be worth trying to book a few days ahead

Attachments

• Albergues websites.doc
    161.5 KB · Views: 236
sillydoll said:
Gary, there are 4 different types of albergues - some can be booked but most dont take reservations, its first come first served.
Below is a list of albergues on the Camino Frances compiled last year. (There may be more that have opened, and some may have closed.)
I have included those that can be booked ahead.
August is always the busiest month due to European holidays so it might be worth trying to book a few days ahead
thats great thanks very much. got another question for you - is getting food frequently and easily available on this route?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Yes, you can almost always get food somewhere along the path.
The Camino Frances passes through very few remote areas. I think you'll be surprised at how many urabn areas it passes through with villages, hamlets and towns along the way.
(In the middle ages the towns were planned to be within a day's march of each other so that pilgrims always had somewhere safe to spend the night).
There are many cafe-bars that serve food, supermecados, small grocery and vegetables shops and some people who sell basic supplies from their homes. You'll also find the bread van, fruit and veg van, fish and meat van visiting out of the way villages during the week.
Some donativo albergues offer a night time meal and some also provide a simple breakfast. Many have kitchens (usually lacking in utensils!) so that pilgrims can cook their own meals.
You'll soon get the hang of it!

sillydoll said:
The Camino Frances passes through very few remote areas. I think you'll be surprised at how many urabn areas it passes through with villages, hamlets and towns along the way.
(In the middle ages the towns were planned to be within a day's march of each other so that pilgrims always had somewhere safe to spend the night).
There are many cafe-bars that serve food, supermecados, small grocery and vegetables shops and some people who sell basic supplies from their homes. You'll also find the bread van, fruit and veg van, fish and meat van visiting out of the way villages during the week.
Some donativo albergues offer a night time meal and some also provide a simple breakfast. Many have kitchens (usually lacking in utensils!) so that pilgrims can cook their own meals.

thanks again for the information, am starting to get into the spirit of it all with only 3 months to go!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
gazzababe said:
sillydoll said:

thanks again for the information, am starting to get into the spirit of it all with only 3 months to go!

got one more question - what about getting back from santiago to Biarritz by train. Is it possible to go direct or would there be a number of changes involved. Have tried various websites and have been unsucessful and you seem to be a person who knows things. thanks again Gary

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Gary, there are a number of ways to get back.

You could go by train if you want to. You'll have to go to Irun on the Feve or the Renfe line. (http://www.renfe.es)
Departs Santiago 09h25 and arrives in Irun at 20h32 and costs 19.30 euro if booked online (48 euro general price) And then on the local rail or bus to Biarritz.
The Bus is PESA.net and there are two trains per day:
09h15 arrives at 10h15am and a 14h45 that arrives at 15h40

Better option is to take the ALSA coach from Santiago to Irun and then get a bus or train from there to Biarritz. There are two daytime services but one gets you to Irun after 10pm and the other at 3am the next day. (http://www.alsa.es)
Better to take an overnight bus so that you don't have to sleep over.
SANTIAGO to IRUN 18:00 arr: 07:00 (next day) 58,68
Then the PESA bus at 09h15 to Biarritz

Times might change in August and there might be extra trains and buses so check the websites nearer the time.

sillydoll said:
Gary, there are a number of ways to get back.

You could go by train if you want to. You'll have to go to Irun on the Feve or the Renfe line. (http://www.renfe.es)
Departs Santiago 09h25 and arrives in Irun at 20h32 and costs 19.30 euro if booked online (48 euro general price) And then on the local rail or bus to Biarritz.
The Bus is PESA.net and there are two trains per day:
09h15 arrives at 10h15am and a 14h45 that arrives at 15h40

Better option is to take the ALSA coach from Santiago to Irun and then get a bus or train from there to Biarritz. There are two daytime services but one gets you to Irun after 10pm and the other at 3am the next day. (http://www.alsa.es)
Better to take an overnight bus so that you don't have to sleep over.
SANTIAGO to IRUN 18:00 arr: 07:00 (next day) 58,68
Then the PESA bus at 09h15 to Biarritz

Times might change in August and there might be extra trains and buses so check the websites nearer the time.

Thanks once again, you are a great souce of information

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back