Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Booking ahead at Easter on the Primitivo?

MKalcolm M

Solvitur ambulando - It is solved by walking
Time of past OR future Camino
north route spring 2013
My 13 year old daughter and I are planning to walk the Primitivo, arriving in Oviedo on Monday 2nd April, and setting off on the 3rd. As this is just after Easter which can be very busy, I'm wondering how many nights we should try and book alberges ahead? I normally wing it, and have never booked in advance, but have heard that it can be very difficult to get a bed at Easter, and don't want to be trolling the streets with a tired teenager, looking for somewhere to stay. Also any recommendations for nice alberges to stay in? We normally plan to walk 20 t0 25kms a day. Many thanks.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I would be surprised if you have to book ahead at all! But have you considered the weather? Elevations on the Primitivo are quite high. There may wel be snow, cold temps and wind. Liz

We booked one day ahead and stayed at Pension Tineo; Casa Herminia; Nueva Allandesa - Pola de Allande; Hostal Antiguo - Berducedo; Hostal in Castro; O Candido - San Roman de Retorta amongst others.

I would suggest making a list of contact numbers using Gronze and then phoning a day or so ahead as you know better where you want to be. A first night booking might be good for Oviedo so you have a bed when you first arrive..

The weather will influence whether you go via Pola or over Hospitales to Berducedo so that might need booking/confirming just a day ahead. The advice we were given was that in bad weather we should walk the road - this applied also over Puerto de Palo and Berducedo to Grandas. Terry had to do so in 2009 but in 2012 we walked over Puerto de Palo on tracks (not Hospitales route) and over Buspol too.
Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The weather will influence whether you go via Pola or over Hospitales to Berducedo so that might need booking/confirming just a day ahead. The advice we were given was that in bad weather we should walk the road - this applied also over Puerto de Palo and Berducedo to Grandas. Terry had to do so in 2009 but in 2012 we walked over Puerto de Palo on tracks (not Hospitales route) and over Buspol too.
Buen Camino
I think the climate will dictate that you walk through Pola and not the Hospitales route in early April. If you are lucky it will be a muddy, slippery mess. If the weather is just normal, there will be snow up there.

The only place I would suggest booking on the Primitivo is Berducedo, but in early April I doubt that will be necessary.

Lovely places I stayed at include, in no order at all, preference or location, San Juan de Villapanada, the private albergue in San Roman de Retorta, would not miss Bodeyana. And when I say lovely ot may be cor the atmosphere more than any sort of luxury.

Hmmm -- everybody's experiences is so different. In June 2015, we didn't book a single day ahead. The only day we had any trouble was at Berducedo -- but we took a LOOONG time to walk over Hospitales (mainly talking and sightseeing with the group (see below) and were very late coming into town (after 5 in the evening) and it was later in the year. We got the last albergue spots in town.

We were given the same advice about weather as Tia. In fact, thunderstorms were predicted and the folks at Casa Hermania recommended that we walk in identified groups (it was early June). We did so, missed the storms and had a truly great day!

I live in the mountains in the US. Mountain weather can be unpredictable and dangerous. Just make sure you have appropriate equipment and listen to the locals about the conditions! Liz

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I would book accommodation in Oviedo and Lugo, with it being easter Oviedo might be packed with people returning home, tourists and pilgrims there to continue on the Primitivo and the Norte . Lugo you might encounter many pilgrims starting the last 100km, your walking pace and date of start looks to be putting you in Santiago on a weekend, which you will find is in many others plans as well. I would see what happens when you get onto the Primitivo, it might need booking, but it might be possible if you find yourself in a large group to drop back a day you can always make it up after Lugo.

I wouldn´t book any night. You won´t have any problem.

For the first albergues I would take Oviedo, San Juan de Villapañada, Bodenaya, Borres & Berducedo. If the weather is ok (most probably it will be ... but a percentage of probabilities of being snow) I would take from Borres the detour of Hospitales. If the weather is not so ok ... then Borres-Pola de Allande-Berducedo.

Buen Camino & Ultreia!!

We are planning to walk the Primitivo in August or mid September. How will the weather be at that time of the year, and will we need to book aghead (apart from Oviedo, Lugo, O Pedruzo and Santiago. We plan to detour via The Camino Del Verde to the Norte to keep away from the Frances for as long as possible. Hoping to rejoin the French way at O Pedruzo

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We are planning to walk the Primitivo in August or mid September. How will the weather be at that time of the year, and will we need to book aghead (apart from Oviedo, Lugo, O Pedruzo and Santiago. We plan to detour via The Camino Del Verde to the Norte to keep away from the Frances for as long as possible. Hoping to rejoin the French way at O Pedruzo
www.weathespark.com for climate info for anywhere in the world.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back