• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Booking ahead of arriving in St. Jean Pied Du Port

Ruth Ann

Time of past OR future Camino
We will be arriving in St. Jean on the 5th of September, via train from Bordeaux at approx. 7:00 pm, and wondering if it will be necessary to book ahead for a place to stay that night and possibly the next before we head out to Orrison. Also, is it really necessary to book ahead in Orrison, because right now we aren't sure if we will stay one of two nights in St. John. Definitely will need the break going over the mountain though. As you can see I really hate planning too far ahead, but don't want to get stuck with no place to stay. Any advice will very much appreciated, and any suggestions on reasonably priced places also appreciated.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
SJPP has many options for lodging, not much worry there, by 5 September the dust is starting to settle from the summer pilgrims, there will still be plenty around but nothing like July/August. Orrison is a different matter, not that many places available and you are into the weekend already, so should any sort of group be out there-pilgrims or tourigrinos- you will find no room at the inn so definitely reserve. Call from your home telephone not e-mail and fix it before you come-better safe then sorry but after that you are absolutely correct too much planning only causes headache and worry especially if you find yourself walking faster or slower then you thought.

Hi Ruth Ann,

I booked into L'Esprit de Chemin hostel in St. Jean for my first night stay on 18 Sept.....booked it online! Just wanted to have something sorted for the first night as it will be my first time Camino and first time in France and Spain ever!! Hope you have a great journey.
Buen Camino
Aidan :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Ruth Ann,

You didn't say how many are in your party, but I will suggest that with more than one person, yes, do book ahead in SJPP. The statistics for September for the past few years have shown a consistent increase in the number of people starting that month, especially the first week. In some ways, September is the new July.

As for where to stay, if you want a hostel (gite in France, albergue in Spain), L'Esprit du Chemin is a fantastic place to start your Camino. They allow pilgrims to stay for up to two nights, but you must book ahead, and you must conform to their arrival and meal times. Their website shows they are sold out for your dates, but you might be able to get on a waiting list. http://www.espritduchemin.org/en

If that doesn't work, I can personally recommend Gite Azkorria: http://www.booking.com/hotel/fr/gite-azkorria.en.html Booking.com shows them already sold out for your dates, but you can send them an email to request beds in the shared dorm: gite.azkorria50@orange.fr

Another nice place in SJPP is B&B Errecaldia: http://www.errecaldia.com/

As for Orisson, yes, do book in advance, if they have anything left. If they are fully booked for your date, you can ask for beds at their new gite, Kayola, which is just 800 meters before Orisson. And a final option is Gite Hunto, which is 5km after SJPP.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice everyone. Now I am really getting nervous! Sent an email off to LEsprit du Chemin for the nights of Sept 5th and 6th and hope to hear something back - one way or the other. If I confirm that they are booked does anyone have any info on Aubereg de Pelerin?

I will try and call Orrison tomorrow. My French isn't that great so hope they can understand me. If I can't get a room there I guess We will have to change the route.

Oh yes - there is just my husband and I

Successful in booking at the Gite Ultrera in St. Jean. Still trying to get ahold of Orrison or Kayola to see about the night of Sept. 7th, but no luck so far.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I emailed Orisson and they responded within a few days. If they have an opening they will send you a PayPal invoice. Good luck.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Ruth Ann said:
does anyone have any info on Aubereg de Pelerin?

I think you are referring to the albergue run by the Pilgrim's Office in SJPP? If so, that place cannot be booked in advance. You inquire at the Pilgrim's Office on the day you arrive, and if they have beds left, you have a spot. No problem if you arrive early in the day, but difficult if you come on one of the later trains. (Edit: see Annie's post below - turns out they do take reservations.)

Alternatively, you could try one of the places suggested by L'Esprit du Chemin for when they are full. Go to this page: http://www.espritduchemin.org/en/reservations, then on the right side of the screen, go to the section for 'booking request', and below that there is a place to click that says 'other possibilities to stay'. They list several of the other hostels in town.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the information this web site provides - not sure I could have arranged everything without all the valuable information provided. Successful in booking ahead in Orrison, so nothing else to plan. Looking forward to meeting the many other pilgrims we will meet along The Way.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
This booking ahead is one of my big questions. Since I will have no phone when I am on the camino, how do I book ahead? I saw a post somewhere that says albergues do not take booking (first come, first served) and fill up quickly that people start lining up early afternoon for a bed - and that is one of reasons why pilgrims start early in the morning even it is still dark outside. What if I book ahead online or telephone before I start but could not make it or be very late?

Thanks, Annie. We were successful in obtaining reservations in St. Jean at the Gite Ultrera for two nights and also in Orrison.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I noticed a couple of the Albergues are closed mid October, I will be arriving if all planning indeed goes to plan about the 29th of October. Is it still advised to book in advance? My train from Paris gets in around 6:30 or 7pm. Still trying to find train to take me from Bayonne to St Jean Pied du Port.

caminoforme86 said:
I noticed a couple of the Albergues are closed mid October, I will be arriving if all planning indeed goes to plan about the 29th of October. Is it still advised to book in advance? My train from Paris gets in around 6:30 or 7pm. Still trying to find train to take me from Bayonne to St Jean Pied du Port.

caminoforme86,

There is no need to book an albergue in advance for the end of October ! In Saint-Jean the office for the Amis du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de la Citadelle can provide you with a Credential and lodging assistance.

If you take the 12:27 TGV (No 8537) from Montparnasse you will arrive in Bayonne at 17:32
There is a TER line 62 train from Bayonne to SJPdP Monday through Saturday at 18:07. Any later TGV from Paris will be TOO LATE for a connection to SJPdP on the 29th.

See this schedule for TER line 62 trains from Bayonne to SJPdP for the period August 26 to December 14 >> http://telechargement.ter-sncf.com/Imag ... -42307.pdf

Bon Voyage and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Thank you very much for the informed reply Margaret.

These are the trains that I had in mind, arriving in St Jean Pied de Port at around 19:30 on either the 29th or 30th of October. Will there be any need to book ahead one or two nights in St Jean Pied de Port, with arriving so late I would like to spend the full following day and night there and setting off on Camino first thing the following morning after a chilled out day finding info from the office. If I only stay the one night I will miss getting to go to the office. Also don't want to start after a day of travelling from Paris.

Thank you again for all being so helpful.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
caminoforme86 said:
Thank you very much for the informed reply Margaret.

These are the trains that I had in mind, arriving in St Jean Pied de Port at around 19:30 on either the 29th or 30th of October. Will there be any need to book ahead one or two nights in St Jean Pied de Port, with arriving so late I would like to spend the full following day and night there and setting off on Camino first thing the following morning after a chilled out day finding info from the office. If I only stay the one night I will miss getting to go to the office. Also don't want to start after a day of travelling from Paris.

Thank you again for all being so helpful.

You might telephone the Pilgrim Office in SJPdP from Bayonne and tell them you are on your way and need accommodation. Their volunteer staff is always most helpful. The telephone is 05 59 37 05 09. In season the office is open from 7h30 to 12h30 and then from 13h30 to 22h. They can find you accommodation WHEN YOU ARE ON SITE either in a pilgrim albergue or in regular tourist accommodation. ( During one of my caminos in early January 2010 I even slept on the floor of their office when the municipal albergue was being remodeled.)

As for setting off early in the day remember by late October summer time is finished and the sun rises later. You would NOT be safely able to see the trail before at least 8:00 am .

Bon Chemin,

MM

Ah perfect so they would still be open when I arrive at 19:30, this is comforting to know. From what I read I believe 31st October is the end of the summer season?

Yeah I had been researching into times to set off each morning for the November Camino, and would be hoping to leave St Jean Pied de Port on the morning of 31st October or 1st November by 8am at the latest. And depending on weather conditions that day of course, which route to take.

Thank you again

Another option I guess would be staying one night in Bayonne and getting early morning train to St Jean Pied de Port and not having to worry about any delay on the Paris to Bayonne train and missing my connection to SJPDP at 18:07. Then finding a place to stay in SJPDP for that night getting all fresh and ready for starting the following morning.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There is no pilgrim albergue in Bayonne, but the Monte Carlo, 11 rue Hugues, is a small, inexpensive place which is opposite the railroad station (Gare SNCF). Here is their web >> http://hotel-montecarlo.allcommerces.com/. Next morning you can easily catch the early TER line 62 train to SJPdP. First TER line 62 trains at 7:45 and 10:48

Life is filled with choices!

MM

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back