• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Booking Albergue in Zariquiegui

Fletchonides

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPdP - Pamplona (2014)
Pamplona - Burgos (2016)
Burgos - Leon (June 2017)
Leon - SdC (June 2018)
We are continuing our Camino at the end of May this year, having got to Pamplona last time. We will fly into Biarritz and have Express Bourricot booked to get us to Pamplona. They say we will get by 4pm, so we would like to walk a bit on that day. Zariquiegui is about 11km so a reasonable walk at that time, arriving about 7pm.

We would like to ensure that we have a bed when we get there though, as to have to push on to Uterga at that time would not be doable. I filled in the contact form on the Albergue San Andres website , and also mailed them about 10 days ago, but haven't heard anything. They are supposed to be open all year round.

Should I be concerned I haven't had a reply? What are the possibilities of just turning up on Thurs. 26th May and hoping for 2 beds?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
May will be busy! After your flight perhaps stopping for the night in Pamplona would be easier. See www.Gronze.com for a selection of possible spots. Or perhaps the Albergue Roncal in Cizur Menor where you can also reserve.

Buen camino!

Zariquiegui is a really cool old town with a few places to stay, a couple of small stores, and some bars...but I don't think it is kind of town I would show up in late without a reservation...hiking out of Pamplona is a lot easier in the early morning when you see the shells on the sidewalk...also the trail was completely cover in snails when I was there...good luck.

We also could not get a telephone response from this albergue on our late April 2013 Camino, but being green first timers didn't really worry too much and ploughed on. We had already walked from Larrasoaña and arrived in Zariquiegui, only to find the albergue locked up with no sign of life and were told by a local that the hospitalero had gone away. So we had no choice but to gird our loins and tackle the climb up and over Alto de Perdón, after already having walked 27 kms. When we arrived in Uterga a further 6.5 kms along the way, we found the albergue there full and were more or less forced to stay in the hospitalera's private house, sharing a bedroom with my daughter for 50 euros. I felt well and truly ripped off, but at the same time very glad that I actually had somewhere to rest my head.

I made reservations with that albergue January 26, also wanted to be set for first day. They wrote back to me after a day or 2.

Gronze has two possible places to stay in Zariquiegui, the San Andres and Posada de Ardogi. I've stayed at the Ardogi & it was pleasant enough. However their web domain is for sale and their Facebook page inactive...

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Zariquiegui is a really cool old town with a few places to stay, a couple of small stores, and some bars...but I don't think it is kind of town I would show up in late without a reservation.
I totally agree

We also could not get a telephone response from this albergue on our late April 2013 Camino, but being green first timers didn't really worry too much and ploughed on. We had already walked from Larrasoaña and arrived in Zariquiegui, only to find the albergue locked up with no sign of life and were told by a local that the hospitalero had gone away.
That is something that I really want to avoid.

I made reservations with that albergue January 26, also wanted to be set for first day. They wrote back to me after a day or 2.

Thanks, maybe the hospitalero is on a break? Was that by email, and in English or Spanish? I wrote to them in English, with google translated into Spanish as well. Which email address did you use?

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
2011, rang the day ahead from Pamplona, for 2 people. Booked, no problem. Got there, many others waiting ages for opening time, I think 2-3pm. Some missed out on bed and had to continue after 'losing' many hours waiting.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
That was the address I used. At least I know they should have got it, thanks.

I walked from Pamplona to Zarquiegui my first day, jetlag and all, - and it was a great way to start my camino. It made the hike the next day up to the Alto de Perdon a piece of cake. I stayed in the Posada de Ardogi (20 € bed and dinner). The dinner was the best I had until I got to Finisterre. Here's their email: info@laposadadeardogi.com
Maybe she will respond. I highly recommend her place.

We are currently in Pamplona and have been trying to contact la Posada de Ardogi to no avail. I understand it recently changed hands. I suspect not successfully. We will just have to form another plan.

We eventually booked with http://www.casakarpintero.com/ Casa Carpintero in Astrain. A kilometer off the Camino track, but better to have it booked than to have nowhere to stay.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back