• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Booking albergues or not

Kelly Catlow

Time of past OR future Camino
Walking Camino April 8th 2017 start date - excited much!!!
Hi fellow friends
I need some advice please from those of you that have been before........
I depart from SJDP on April 8th 2017 and was just going to walk and stay at albergues that had room, but after reading different threads am left wondering 'Are you supposed to book ahead?' I didn't even think you could book a bed but more first in first served, or is this not the case?
I am travelling alone so would appreciate any advice
Thank you,
Kelly

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Kelly,
There are many MANY threads on this, from as recently as yesterday. If you use the search option for the forum you can find a lot of them. There are arguments on both sides of course! I have walked twice and never booked ahead- except for my stay in Santiago. I walked in October both times and never came across a problem. I think in April it is the same- I don't think you will have an issue. If it makes you feel better to book though, why not? I would limit yourself to booking just a day ahead or so- you want to be able to go with the flow as much as possible.
Here are the "booking ahead" search results
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/search/5424891/?q=booking+ahead&o=date&c[title_only]=1&c[node]=22

I didn't even think you could book a bed but more first in first served, or is this not the case?
To answer this question... There are different types of albergues; some are owned and operated by municipal governments or churches while many are private businesses. Many or most of the municipals and parroquials do not take reservations and are first-come, first-served. However, many or most of the privados (which now outnumber the others) do take reservations. The private accommodations range from dormitories with bunk beds, to smaller rooms with a few beds, to luxurious bed-and-breakfast places.

I would recommend booking in SJPP, and Orisson if you want to stay there, and then playing it by ear. Have a phone with internet access and you will be able to learn from the camino grapevine and respond to the actual situation at the time. In fact, I don't expect you'll have a significant problem in April.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I will depart in SJPDP on the 3th May, but because I will arrive late on the 2nd May I will book in SJPDP and the day after in Orisson because I want to visit SJPDP before starting.
The rest will be were my feet will take me that day ;)
Perhaps from Sarria on, but that I will decide when I encounter difficulties.
I'm in no hurry:)

Yes...you can book beds in many cases. My daughters and I stayed in Beilari (albergue) in SJPdP the first night and it was a great way to start the Camino. Very inviting and lovely hosts and it housed about 25 and the host had a unique and fun way for all of us to get to know each other that first night...and that was great since we met up with many of those same people throughout the Camino and even since returning home. There were people from Germany, S. Africa, US, Ireland, England, Amsterdam, Belgium, Brazil, it was great. It was $30 each but included dinner and breakfast. After that we booked ahead once in a while and just took a chance the other days...it always worked out. We made friends as we walked and sometimes we worked together to find a place for the next night. We walked in May...but, April should be less busy and so you will surely have no problems with available beds. One of my favorite albergues was just one day out from Santiago - Albergue Alborada Pension. They had bunk beds for about 13Euro and private rooms for 45Euro. We got the private room...and it was great!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Kelly,
There are many MANY threads on this, from as recently as yesterday. If you use the search option for the forum you can find a lot of them. There are arguments on both sides of course! I have walked twice and never booked ahead- except for my stay in Santiago. I walked in October both times and never came across a problem. I think in April it is the same- I don't think you will have an issue. If it makes you feel better to book though, why not? I would limit yourself to booking just a day ahead or so- you want to be able to go with the flow as much as possible.
Here are the "booking ahead" search results
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/search/5424891/?q=booking+ahead&o=date&c[title_only]=1&c[node]=22
Thank you

Yes...you can book beds in many cases. My daughters and I stayed in Beilari (albergue) in SJPdP the first night and it was a great way to start the Camino. Very inviting and lovely hosts and it housed about 25 and the host had a unique and fun way for all of us to get to know each other that first night...and that was great since we met up with many of those same people throughout the Camino and even since returning home. There were people from Germany, S. Africa, US, Ireland, England, Amsterdam, Belgium, Brazil, it was great. It was $30 each but included dinner and breakfast. After that we booked ahead once in a while and just took a chance the other days...it always worked out. We made friends as we walked and sometimes we worked together to find a place for the next night. We walked in May...but, April should be less busy and so you will surely have no problems with available beds. One of my favorite albergues was just one day out from Santiago - Albergue Alborada Pension. They had bunk beds for about 13Euro and private rooms for 45Euro. We got the private room...and it was great!
Thank you so much!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walked in late August through September, and I booked ahead on just 6 occasions.
1) Orisson - reservations are pretty much required unless they get a last minute cancellation
2) Pamplona - I was walking with a group and we all wanted to stay in the "pod" albergue - Casa Ibarrola
3) Villafranca Montes de Oca - I called ahead, because after I arrived at Belorado earlier than I wanted to stop, but I didn't want to continue on if I wasn't going to have a confirmed place to sleep. The albergue wasn't full, and I ended up splurging on a hotel room there.
4) Melide, I was a little worried about more pilgrims on the Camino after Sarria, so I booked ahead. I ended up not liking the area the place was in, so I cancelled the booking (around 2 pm) and found that there were plenty of albergues with beds in a more central location
5) Santiago - I booked a pension
6) Finisterre - I booked a hotel
Other than Orisson, it wasn't necessary for me to book ahead to get a bed, but I just felt more comfortable doing so on those occasions.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I would not like walking the Camino having to book ahead for every nights accommodation. To me it would become more like a packaged holiday than a pilgrimage. I always enjoyed the freedom of stopping when I liked or needed to. Some days I only travelled half days for physical, spiritual or interest needs that I encountered along the way.

I would not like walking the Camino having to book ahead for every nights accommodation. To me it would become more like a packaged holiday than a pilgrimage. I always enjoyed the freedom of stopping when I liked or needed to. Some days I only travelled half days for physical, spiritual or interest needs that I encountered along the way.
Thanks Jason- that's how I feel too so nice to hear

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I walked in late August through September, and I booked ahead on just 6 occasions.
1) Orisson - reservations are pretty much required unless they get a last minute cancellation
2) Pamplona - I was walking with a group and we all wanted to stay in the "pod" albergue - Casa Ibarrola
3) Villafranca Montes de Oca - I called ahead, because after I arrived at Belorado earlier than I wanted to stop, but I didn't want to continue on if I wasn't going to have a confirmed place to sleep. The albergue wasn't full, and I ended up splurging on a hotel room there.
4) Melide, I was a little worried about more pilgrims on the Camino after Sarria, so I booked ahead. I ended up not liking the area the place was in, so I cancelled the booking (around 2 pm) and found that there were plenty of albergues with beds in a more central location
5) Santiago - I booked a pension
6) Finisterre - I booked a hotel
Other than Orisson, it wasn't necessary for me to book ahead to get a bed, but I just felt more comfortable doing so on those occasions.
Thank you for your reply - awesome! Will also look up pod albergues :)

I walked the CF beginning April 22 this past spring. I did book Beilari in SJPdP and Orisson for the first night -- something I would do again, because it did build community and it was great to run into new friends all along the Camino.

I walked alone for the first half, and though I was traveling during one of the busy times, I had no problem finding available albergues -- I was a fairly fast walker and got to my destination around noon or at least by 2 PM. Some who arrived later had some issues, but it always worked out. No one I heard of was left out in the cold/rain/night.

The second part of the Camino, I walked with 2 others. And we wanted to stay in the same albergue. So, especially after Sarria, we began to book ahead in private albergues. None of us had phone connections, but the albergue staff were always willing to call ahead for us.

It all worked out. Remember, the Camino provides.
Buen Camino!

'Are you supposed to book ahead?'
It depends. April has about half the arrivals in Santiago as May, but the May arrivals probably started the pilgrimage in April, so you need to include the time lag in your considerations. May is about half as busy as the peak months of July and August. Traffic is up enormously over two years ago, so anecdotal evidence from 2014 and earlier is not what you will encounter in 2017. This year will be up substantially from 2015, and there is no reason to think that next year will be any less busy. Crowds are beginning earlier and lasting longer as pilgrims try to avoid the busiest months. September was once ideal; it has been pretty much ruined by late-traveling pilgrims.

If you stop in the early afternoon, it is unlikely that you will have a problem finding a bed. If you plan to rise late, walk slowly all day, and arrive late, you should expect to encounter problems some places. The choice really is between wandering a town with your backpack looking for a bed, or using a phone to wander the town either that day or the day before. I can tell you from experience that the stress level is higher when you are hot, tired, dirty, and hungry and find a place full, then face walking around town or to the next village, than if you call ahead and reserve a bed. Almost all places will insist that you arrive before 4 p.m. to claim your bed. They may settle for a phone call on the day of the reservation that you will arrive after 4 p.m., and hold your bed longer.

If you burden yourself with a lot of expectations that you will be destroying the ambiance of your pilgrimage by planning ahead, then you may be setting yourself up to be miserable. You can choose to be miserable (many pilgrims do), or you can choose to exercise your free will and do the little things that help you adapt to an experience that will not adapt to you! I guarantee you that the pilgrimage, the country, and the other pilgrims will not be adapting to your will or expectations. I have found that I am much happier when I accept that fact. An irritable hospitalero is going to be irritable regardless of whether you like it. An albergue is going to be full regardless of whether you wanted to stay there. Pilgrims are going to snore regardless of whether it keeps you awake. You cannot control anything except yourself, and most of what you can control is your attitude and expectations (even your blisters may defy your plans, preparations, and treatments).

If you do not want to reserve ahead, don't. But then don't make yourself all grumpy because everyone else reserved ahead and you did not find a bed. Accept the consequences of your choice and move happily on. :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It depends. April has about half the arrivals in Santiago as May, but the May arrivals probably started the pilgrimage in April, so you need to include the time lag in your considerations. May is about half as busy as the peak months of July and August. Traffic is up enormously over two years ago, so anecdotal evidence from 2014 and earlier is not what you will encounter in 2017. This year will be up substantially from 2015, and there is no reason to think that next year will be any less busy. Crowds are beginning earlier and lasting longer as pilgrims try to avoid the busiest months. September was once ideal; it has been pretty much ruined by late-traveling pilgrims.

If you stop in the early afternoon, it is unlikely that you will have a problem finding a bed. If you plan to rise late, walk slowly all day, and arrive late, you should expect to encounter problems some places. The choice really is between wandering a town with your backpack looking for a bed, or using a phone to wander the town either that day or the day before. I can tell you from experience that the stress level is higher when you are hot, tired, dirty, and hungry and find a place full, then face walking around town or to the next village, than if you call ahead and reserve a bed. Almost all places will insist that you arrive before 4 p.m. to claim your bed. They may settle for a phone call on the day of the reservation that you will arrive after 4 p.m., and hold your bed longer.

If you burden yourself with a lot of expectations that you will be destroying the ambiance of your pilgrimage by planning ahead, then you may be setting yourself up to be miserable. You can choose to be miserable (many pilgrims do), or you can choose to exercise your free will and do the little things that help you adapt to an experience that will not adapt to you! I guarantee you that the pilgrimage, the country, and the other pilgrims will not be adapting to your will or expectations. I have found that I am much happier when I accept that fact. An irritable hospitalero is going to be irritable regardless of whether you like it. An albergue is going to be full regardless of whether you wanted to stay there. Pilgrims are going to snore regardless of whether it keeps you awake. You cannot control anything except yourself, and most of what you can control is your attitude and expectations (even your blisters may defy your plans, preparations, and treatments).

If you do not want to reserve ahead, don't. But then don't make yourself all grumpy because everyone else reserved ahead and you did not find a bed. Accept the consequences of your choice and move happily on. :)
Awesome reply and I think it's very good advice - appreciate you taking the time to reply xx

Thank you

When we walked in June, we booked ahead sometimes and then played it by ear other times. "Booking ahead" meant either booking the day before or calling ahead that day to see if there was space. The only time we booked anything farther ahead than that was for our arrival night in Burgos, which is where we started. Even in June, we never got anywhere and found that it was full. Places did fill up, but we generally stopped walking around 2 or 3.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Surely if the Camino is that busy that people have to book ahead so that THEY are not the ones left out then the Spanish tourist boards should have a place at every stage for pilgrims or tourists to go to, to find a bed. It works in other countries. In Australia it is called the tourist information centre.

then the Spanish tourist boards should have a place at every stage for pilgrims or tourists to go to, to find a bed.
That would be a lot of little offices! Opening such a place would double the employment in a lot of villages, and the staff would have nothing to do between November and April...

The cities do have such places, and they are extremely helpful. :) Hospitaleros do a magnificent job of fulfilling such a tourism role if asked. When there is more than one albergue in a town, they may help a pilgrim to find a bed.

That would be a lot of little offices! Opening such a place would double the employment in a lot of villages, and the staff would have nothing to do between November and April...

I understand some smaller villages are less able to cope but that would be seasonal work. If there is 50 or more pilgrims looking for a bed each night something needs to be better organised that everyone either booking ahead or racing to be first in the queue when the doors open. A pilgrimage has different aspects than adventure tourism but Spain would be generating a lot of revenue with these new type of walkers.
I must add that I did my pilgrimage last century so it may explain my ignorance of how it is now.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I didn't notice a lot of racing ahead or queueing up when the doors opened. There was some of that, but not a lot - and it mostly seemed unnecessary. And some people booked ahead and some didn't. Maybe that happens more later in the summer? Both times I walked, it was June

I remember the surprised look on one person's face at the municipal in Estella when she was informed that no, she did not have a reservation because the albergue did not take reservations. Apparently she had used a pack service and assumed that if her pack were delivered there then she had a bed reserved. It was early October and there was still plenty of room.

I walked the CF beginning April 22 this past spring. I did book Beilari in SJPdP and Orisson for the first night -- something I would do again, because it did build community and it was great to run into new friends all along the Camino.

I walked alone for the first half, and though I was traveling during one of the busy times, I had no problem finding available albergues -- I was a fairly fast walker and got to my destination around noon or at least by 2 PM. Some who arrived later had some issues, but it always worked out. No one I heard of was left out in the cold/rain/night.

The second part of the Camino, I walked with 2 others. And we wanted to stay in the same albergue. So, especially after Sarria, we began to book ahead in private albergues. None of us had phone connections, but the albergue staff were always willing to call ahead for us.

It all worked out. Remember, the Camino provides.
Buen Camino!
Thank you - this is helpful!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I remember the surprised look on one person's face at the municipal in Estella when she was informed that no, she did not have a reservation because the albergue did not take reservations. Apparently she had used a pack service and assumed that if her pack were delivered there then she had a bed reserved. It was early October and there was still plenty of room.
Funny!!

I started from SJPdP this April on the 12th. I booked Orisson and recommend it! Next stop should be Roncevalles and as they have plenty of beds there's no need to book. Thereafter I'd only phone ahead and book or check that there was a chance of a bed it it was late in the day and I didn't want to leave one town before trekking on to the next town if there were no beds available. Some days the weather may be against you and you want to call it a day very early in the day. There is a resource on this website listing the recommended Albergues and I personally found it a very useful tool to have. Do your research before you leave, Google the albergues and make a note of the ones that you would like to stay at.

I started from SJPdP this April on the 12th. I booked Orisson and recommend it! Next stop should be Roncevalles and as they have plenty of beds there's no need to book. Thereafter I'd only phone ahead and book or check that there was a chance of a bed it it was late in the day and I didn't want to leave one town before trekking on to the next town if there were no beds available. Some days the weather may be against you and you want to call it a day very early in the day. There is a resource on this website listing the recommended Albergues and I personally found it a very useful tool to have. Do your research before you leave, Google the albergues and make a note of the ones that you would like to stay at.
thank you gareth - one more question - did you take a sheet to cover the bunk to minimise the chance of bed bugs or how did you find the mattresses and albergues?

did you take a bed sheet or something to cover the mattress? bed bugs worry me or being too close to yuk :)
Hi Kelly,
The issue of bed bugs is very overstated in my opinion. I don't recall a single place I stayed where I had a concern regarding cleanliness. Having said that, one of my fellow travellers that I met up with in Santiago said they had stayed at 'some right dumps'.
Most albergues have disposable pillow cases and mattress covers that they give you when you arrive or are on the beds waiting for you. Otherwise they will have freshly laundered sheets on the mattress.
Usually there are shelves where the blankets are stored that you can help yourself to. As some of the fastidious women on here have said " you don't know when these were last washed" and for that reason I took my own light-weight sleeping bag and a silk liner.

The sleeping bag doubles as a safe during the night as you should stuff all your valuables in it and then climb in it yourself.

I could have saved myself a bit of weight by taking just a silk liner, some people do just that, but I am of the opinion that there are some things that are better to have and not need than need and not have. A comfy nights sleep and the security of my personal belongings meant a light-weight sleeping back was essential to me.

I strongly recommend that you do your research, most albergues have a website, there are on-line reviews and there are definitely some places you will kick yourself if you miss them. I am not naming them as I don't want them to be packed out next time I visit!

This link will take you to the resource of the recommended Albergues which you can download.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...e-albergues-on-the-camino-francés.140/updates

I liken the Camino to getting a new puppy. You are going to have so much fun with it! Similarly you are going to have more fun than you can imagine on your camino.

how did you find the mattresses
I looked on top of the bunk, and there they were... ;)

Mattresses get progressively dirtier over the years. They are never cleaned (except the plastic ones in places like Fonfria) and rarely replaced. Disposable sheets and pillow cases are a relatively new amenity. The albergues in Galicia started issuing them when they went from "donativo" to a fixed charge. They could claim that the new charge was to cover the new cost. The initiative was well received by pilgrims, so other albergues have started using them.

Cleanliness is variable. Fastidious owners maintain fastidious albergues. Municipal albergues may not have motivated staff, so may not be very clean. However, some are the most fastidious; the one in Burgos comes to mind because the staff brutally evicts pilgrims in the morning, cleans like mad, and does not reopen until the posted afternoon time.

Bedbugs are not deterred by the disposable sheets, which just provide better toeholds than plastic mattress. The only proved repellents are DEET and picardin. DDT and permethrin kill bedbugs. Permethrin likely is the only one you can buy. It can kill bedbugs that may have climbed into your pack. It will help prevent taking them home with you. It is simply not true that bedbugs are not a problem. Tell a hospitalero that you have bedbug bites, and the reaction will vary from denying you entry to a massive decontamination. THAT is a problem in its own right!! The same people who claim that there are no bedbugs because they did not see a bedbug are the same people who say gender harassment is not a problem because they have never been harassed. :D

You will have to decide what you will do about hygiene and bedbugs. Honestly, just ignoring them is a viable option. :):)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There are a lot of info on this forum:
Lately:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/positive-bed-bug-thread.43728/#post-452014
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ct-shield-travelsheet-silk.44791/#post-469808
The best so far is this one from Annie: http://caminosantiago2.blogspot.nl/2011/06/dont-let-bedbugs-bite.html
You will think twice that there are no bugs :confused:
Have a nice look on what to do when going home;)
Better to be prepared in case, then it is less stress.
And come forward with the problem, no shame....
Buen Camino:)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back