• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Booking Casa da Fernanda

champ27

Time of past OR future Camino
2015 Sept - Burgos-SdC by bike (tour)
2016 April - SJPP - Burgos (walking)
2017 May - Porto-SdC
Hello,

Let me preface this by extending a huge thank you to this community for all of the wonderfully helpful info posted. I rarely participate actively but I check in for research purposes regularly :)

I am excited to have booked my flight to Porto and will begin my Porto-SDC walk late May this year. From what I've read here, Casa da Fernanda is a must-stay experience. I believe I can arrive there after my 3rd day of walking. Is it too early for me to call for a reservation? Also, do they speak English? My Portuguese is nonexistent (although my Spanish is more functional).

ETA - I just tried to call but got the voicemail. Do you know if it's possible to book online or via email?

Many thanks!!
Jackie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
IMG_2677.JPG IMG_2676.JPG
Hello,

Let me preface this by extending a huge thank you to this community for all of the wonderfully helpful info posted. I rarely participate actively but I check in for research purposes regularly :)

I am excited to have booked my flight to Porto and will begin my Porto-SDC walk late May this year. From what I've read here, Casa da Fernanda is a must-stay experience. I believe I can arrive there after my 3rd day of walking. Is it too early for me to call for a reservation? Also, do they speak English? My Portuguese is nonexistent (although my Spanish is more functional).

ETA - I just tried to call but got the voicemail. Do you know if it's possible to book online or via email?

Many thanks!!
Jackie
Jackie you can book in advance at Fernanda's
I spoke to her last saturday .
Her phonenumber is +351 914 589 521
Fernanda speaks english.
The distance from Porto to Vitorino dos Piães where Fernanda lives is about 80 kms.
Anyway 18 kms past Barcelos on the waymarked caminhopath.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you Albertinho. Much appreciated! I will try again by phone.

ETA - thank you for the photo! I am getting so excited....and hungry ;)

Thank you Albertinho. Much appreciated! I will try again by phone.

ETA - thank you for the photo! I am getting so excited....and hungry ;)
Try in the morning after 11 h. Mind there is Greenwich mean time in Portugal. One hour earlier than in Spain

Hello,

Many thanks!!
Jackie
I stayed there last May and agree that you should make it a priority and definately call ahead and reserve a space. It was the only place that I encountered that was filled to overflow. She allowed two late arrivals to sleep on her porch.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I stayed there last May and agree that you should make it a priority and definately call ahead and reserve a space. It was the only place that I encountered that was filled to overflow. She allowed two late arrivals to sleep on her porch.
Pick the porch...any time...feels like sleeping in nature but with a roof. Loved it.

I am booked! Just spoke with Fernanda and she indeed sounds lovely. I'm glad I called - she said she was already booked for 2 days later (a weekend night). ..mind you sounds like a covered porch would be just great too.

Obrigado!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I had Whatsapp contact with Jacinto-Fernanda's husband- last night . They have no opportunity nor time to follow the several forums and social media so when I notice increasing interest here or on other media we keep contact.

It is advisable to reserve in advance at Casa da Fernanda.
Next to Portuguese and Spanish you can communicate with them in English and French.
Unfortunately they cannot communicate in the German language so if you call please use English.

They have place for 10 pilgrims in the gardenhouse in single beds,
There is one extra room in the gardenhouse for two with a double bed.
And the "the famous" porch on the gardenhouse veranda

In their house are two rooms with both a double bed ,regulairy reserved for couples.
Casa Fernanda asks a donation. Next to a bed they offer you something eat and drink as soon as you'll arrive. In the evening there will be served a common diner and after a cozy "being together"
The next morning there is a conmon breakfast.
The average donation is € 20,00 per person.

They live in a small hamlet, Outeiro, between Barcelos(= 18 kms away ) and Ponte de Lima (= 14 km away)
As soon as you passed the village of Balugães and you have crossed the N204 national road , after about 2 kms you will find their house at the left side of the waymarked caminho path.
Their address. Jacinto Oliveira and Fernanda Gomes.
Rua do Outeira 547
4990-823 Vitorino dos Piães (Provincia de Viana do Castelo)
Phone + 351 914 589 521

My wife and I have been hospitaleiros at Casa da Fernanda several times and will be back with them later this year to give a hand.

Bom caminho
Albertinho and Nel

Indeed a unique, special place, thanks to Fernanda's and Jacinto' generosity!
I walked there from San Pedro de Rates, it is quite feasible, stop in Barcelos for something to eat, then move on to Fernanda. A place not to be missed!

Thank you for the replies. Albertinho, thank you for the thorough response. They are lucky to have you as friends/hospitaleros, indeed, as I am sure you must enjoy the experience as well. I look forward to experiencing their wonderful hospitality.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I endorse all the above positive remarks. I arrived there in June 2013 very tired so Fernanda asked if I would like to stay longer. I ended up staying 5 nights, acting as hospitalero whilst Fernanda and Jacinto were working their full time jobs during the day. They are lovely people and I reckon it is the best albergue ever.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
During my stay in 2010, I limped in from Barcelos. no one was home. I went to the garden area and saw a sign...Pick a bed! Apparently, the night before, there was quite the party. There were many empty bottles (wine/beer) in abundance...so I cleaned up the area and settled in. Jacinto arrived a bit later. He asked me if I was hungry. I said I was and the next I knew a platter of pork chops appeared and both wine and beer. They bottle their own. At this point, I became an honorary Hospilitaro. The garden bunkhouse filled up by 17:00. Wine and beer continued to flow, Fernanda appeared, dancing broke out, then supper was ready. Among our group were three Danes. Two brothers and the wife of one. The single brother was going through a tough time. At supper, it came out that he was a guitar player of some note, but hadn't played due to his current circumstance. A guitar appeared...he took up his personal challenge and the party began again. Out came several bottles of
Aguardente Bagaçeira ( I think that's what it was)...honestly don't remember much after that. Oh, there was more dancing, I think.
I remained an extra day and took up my duties. While checking the bunkroom, I noticed a phone under the bed of the Dane guitar player. Borrowing a bike from Jacinto, I rode down the Camino until I caught the trio. Thanks and goodbyes all around, I took the main highway back.
Please reread the above to get a good idea of this day's activities.
Bom Caminho,
Arn

I had Whatsapp contact with Jacinto-Fernanda's husband- last night . They have no opportunity nor time to follow the several forums and social media so when I notice increasing interest here or on other media we keep contact.

Next to Portuguese and Spanish you can communicate with them in English and French.
Unfortunately they cannot communicate in the German language so if you call please use English.

In their house are two rooms with both a double bed ,regulairy reserved for couples.
Casa Fernanda asks a donation. Next to a bed they offer you something eat and drink as soon as you'll arrive. In the evening there will be served a common diner and after a cozy "being together"

They live in a small hamlet, Outeiro, between Barcelos(= 18 kms away ) and Ponte de Lima (= 14 km away)
As soon as you passed the village of Balugães and you have crossed the N204 national road , after about 2 kms you will find their house at the left side of the waymarked caminho path.
Rua do Outeira 547
Phone + 351 914 589 521

My wife and I have been hospitaleiros at Casa da Fernanda several times and will be back with them later this year to give a hand.

Bom caminho
Albertinho and Nel
Do you have an emailadres of Casa Fernanda? If you do can you please mail it to me? (private email address deleted): please use the Private Message function

Last edited by a moderator:
Olá Linda,

you can make a reservation only by phone! Maybe Albertinho can help you with this, but I´m not shure, because her emailadress is top secret.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Do you have an emailadres of Casa Fernanda? If you do can you please mail it to me? (private email address deleted): please use the Private Message function
Topsecret !
No it is a different matter. Fernanda is a very busy woman. She lives in a small hamlet ,surrounded by family and takes care for some who need help. Then she runs the albergue, cleans and cooks so she has no time even to look at a computer .
Jacinto ,her husband, runs his own bussiness so is not allways present.
So if you want to make a reservation, please give her a phonecall
Linda, send me a personal message - in Dutch- when you are intending to stay at Fernanda's and I will send the message to them
Regards from Rotterdam

O jee, ik zie je replays nu pas. Dank je! Ik heb inmiddels al een andere reservering gemaakt. Ik vertrek a.s. Vrijdag naar Porto, mijn eerste Camino, kan bijna niet wachten. Ik ben wel een beetje bezorgd over de hoeveelheid mensen die dit jaar lopen, had ik niet verwacht. Heb jij ervaring met de Spirituel variant van de route, is deze de moeite waard of is het een stukje minder lopen omdat je met een bootje een deel aflegt?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We are planning for September as well! Hoping to figure out how to get there from Vila do Conde but it sounds like its a long stretch for one day from there? We hate to miss it, but only have 11 days to walk -what route is best to get there - would it be the 3rd night out of Porto on central?

We are planning for September as well! Hoping to figure out how to get there from Vila do Conde but it sounds like its a long stretch for one day from there? We hate to miss it, but only have 11 days to walk -what route is best to get there - would it be the 3rd night out of Porto on central?

Hi, on the Portuguese Central Route:
Porto to Vilarinho 26kms
Vilarinho to Barcelos 27kms
Barcelos to Casa Fernanda 19kms

OR

Vila do Conde to Sao Pedro de Rates 14kms
Pedro de Rates to Barcelos 16kms

Jill

I'll have to keep an eye out for you. I please to do the same route as jsalt suggested (below) and I should be at Casa Fernanda on 9/5.

Porto to Vilarinho 26kms
Vilarinho to Barcelos 27kms

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I just made a reservation for Casa Fernanda by phone - very easily done! Took calling twice, and Fernanda was very accommodating. Looking forward to it!

Rua do Outeira 547
Phone + 351 914 589 521

Bom caminho
Albertinho and Nel

Rua do Outeira 547
Phone + 351 914 589 521

Bom caminho
Albertinho and Nel

Hello, as hospitaleiros- do you know if there are vegetarian/vegan dinner options? Thanks

Rua do Outeira 547
Phone + 351 914 589 521

Bom caminho
Albertinho and Nel

Dear Albertinho,
I have tried calling Fernanda on this number 3 times and a lady who does not speak English answers the phone. We are an Australian couple who would like to stay there on the night of 25th April next year.
Would you please help me to make this booking. I am wondering if they have closed for Winter or Xmas.
Thank you in anticipation
John & Penny

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
View attachment 31838View attachment 31837
Jackie you can book in advance at Fernanda's
I spoke to her last saturday .
Her phonenumber is +351 914 589 521
Fernanda speaks english.
The distance from Porto to Vitorino dos Piães where Fernanda lives is about 80 kms.
Anyway 18 kms past Barcelos on the waymarked caminhopath.

So they have email? if so could you please share thank you

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.