• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Booking hotels in Advance for May

Caley Schneider

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2012
Camino Portugues (2017)
Hello!
My husband and I met on the Camino Frances 4 years ago and now are planning to do the Coastal Portuguese Way in May 2017, carrying our then one year old daughter.
As we will have a baby with us, we are planning to stay in hotels along the way rather than hostels.
I think we should plan our route and book hotels in advance to get the best deals and the least out of the way, but my husband thinks we should just walk as far as we want and then find a random hotel to stay in.
Any tips or advice? Is this a high season along the coast?
Thanks in advance!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Olá,
May is no high season along the coast. Booking in advance is not needed. Your husband is right, walk as far as you want and don´t fence yourself in with prebooked accommodations and stages. On the spanish part of the caminho it´s a bit different. Many Spaniards start in Tui. But nowadays there are much more private pensions and albergues that getting a bed wouldn´t be a real problem.

Bom caminho, Rainer

Last edited:
Olá,
May is no high season along the coast. Booking in advance is not needed. Your husband is right, walk as far as you want and don´t fence you in with prebooked accomodations and stages. On the spanish part of the caminho it´s a bit different. Many Spaniards start in Tui. But nowadays there are much more private pensions and albergues that getting a bed wouldn´t be a real problem.

Bom caminho, Rainer
If you follow the coastal in Spain you cross the ferry in Caminha to A Guardia in Spain.there are hotels.
The next will be after 15 kms in Santa Maria de Oia and then another 15 kms to Baiona. No problem to find there a place . after Baiona you will arrive at the suburbs of Vigo and in Vigo is a kind of a hotel ring. Everyywhere and at any price there are hotels available.
From there you will come at the traditional central route in Redondela, Pontevedra ,Caldas de Reis and Padrón. No problem to find hotels, neither in Santago.

Bom caminho

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Why not look at the distances each day and if you feel the need phone ahead to the next night's choice and book if they advise it. Some flexibility and also security with the little one.

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back