• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Booking last 2 weeks in May

Kaye Simpkin

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugese
It is fantastic reading all the wonderful information about accommodations along C.P. However, I am a little unsure of just how organised we (3 of us) need to be walking from the 15th May from Porto. We like the idea of being flexible but do not like the idea of feeling rushed in order to secure accommodation along the way. Not sure how much we should have pre-booked, if anything? Would really appreciate thoughts on this. Thank you. Kaye

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
It is fantastic reading all the wonderful information about accommodations along C.P. However, I am a little unsure of just how organised we (3 of us) need to be walking from the 15th May from Porto. We like the idea of being flexible but do not like the idea of feeling rushed in order to secure accommodation along the way. Not sure how much we should have pre-booked, if anything? Would really appreciate thoughts on this. Thank you. Kaye

If your destination for the night has very limited lodging options, and it is a busy Camino, pre-booking the day ahead is an option.

For towns and cities with a lot of lodging options, and if you are flexible in what kind of lodging you will use, then it increases what's available. For many Camino pilgrims the interest is in securing a bed at an albergue so a lot of the bed race is for alburgues.

If you are OK with using Casa Rurals, Hostals, apartments, hotels, etc. there isn't near the pressure to find a bed for the night and lessens the need to consider pre-booking.

I agree with Davebugg's post. His observations are very accurate, based on my own personal experiences having walked four various Caminos.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked through Porto on the CP at this exact time last year , there was never a need to book in advance , however as a group of 3, we sometimes booked ‘on the go’ for that evening , as we were happy to use b&b’s , small Hotels etc ... the prices were very reasonable...

I just used ‘Booking.com’ and Gronze for ease ...

Hi Kaye, I am walking the CP starting from Porto on the 13th May- perhaps we will cross paths. I have similar feelings regarding the accomodation. I haven't booked any accomodation during but I did book a couple days in Porto and Santiago for peace of mind. I'm on a budget so would like to stick to albergues (assuming they will be the cheapest) so I guess I will have to be an early walker?
Gracie

Hi Kaye, I am walking the CP starting from Porto on the 13th May- perhaps we will cross paths. I have similar feelings regarding the accomodation. I haven't booked any accomodation during but I did book a couple days in Porto and Santiago for peace of mind. I'm on a budget so would like to stick to albergues (assuming they will be the cheapest) so I guess I will have to be an early walker?
Gracie
When you walk it will be Semana Santa ,the holy week before Eastern.
Lots of Spaniards will take the opportunity to walk the shortest distance to obtain a Compostela certificate in Santiago. Having obtained a Compostela in Spain is good for their CV.
Tui to Santiago is the second popular distance after Sarria to Santiago .third popular one is Ferrol to Santiago.
Next to Spanish and foreign walkers expect lots of Portuguese bikers on your path.
An albergue anyway in Spain you cannot reserve in advance.

Bom caminho

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
My husband and I will start on the 15th of May. Can't wait to be on the Camino again. Made some reservations to avoid bed rushing. We have some health issues so can`t walk more than 20 km each day.

Last edited:
My sis and I used Booking.com for our CP and loved it. Very user friendly. We stayed at nice comfy establishments and even though they were not alburgues(except for two) We still met a fair share of peregrinos.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back