• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Booking Orisson for early October

Janbrovold

Time of past OR future Camino
Francés 2013
Francés (2015)
I’ve been trying to book Orrison for Oct 5 or 6. Is it too early? The website says to send reservation requests to: refugio.orrison@ wanadoo.fr... But mail keeps getting kicked back. Any thoughts? Thanks so much:)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I’ve been trying to book Orrison for Oct 5 or 6. Is it too early? The website says to send reservation requests to: refugio.orrison@ wanadoo.fr... But mail keeps getting kicked back. Any thoughts? Thanks so much:)

Hi @Janbrovold , you have a couple of typos in the email address. Orisson has one R and two Ss, and it is Refuge not Refugio (as it's in France). So the email is refuge.orisson@wanadoo.fr.

Hope that helps!

For ‘ a moment at first glance ‘ of subject heading ., I thought someone may have been doing a ‘Roy Orbison ‘ show along the way.

Re booking for ORISSON though; now that you have the correct spelling from GettingThere, you just need patience. (Ps. Don’t add the ‘stop’ at end of address.
Just finish email address as wanadoo.fr
(Or it may bounce back again)
Also it’s common for a delay from them. You will get a response - Sometimes it may be 2 weeks (give or take ).

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Ah, Roy Orbison playing at Orisson? That would definitely be Heaven, (my nickname for the place since my first visit).

As you can understand, Orisson is in the mountains and they get a lot of snow there this time of year, and winds. So, there is no one up there for another couple of months.

Others have mentioned that patience is necessary when booking. Personally, I will never book ahead. For me, it is a pilgrimage and also for me, that means I need to let go of those things that I have been used to and allow the Way to provide. It has a way of doing that, if given the chance. That is where stories about this beautiful Path come from.

Just my 2 cents.....

Ah, Roy Orbison playing at Orisson? That would definitely be Heaven, (my nickname for the place since my first visit).

As you can understand, Orisson is in the mountains and they get a lot of snow there this time of year, and winds. So, there is no one up there for another couple of months.

Others have mentioned that patience is necessary when booking. Personally, I will never book ahead. For me, it is a pilgrimage and also for me, that means I need to let go of those things that I have been used to and allow the Way to provide. It has a way of doing that, if given the chance. That is where stories about this beautiful Path come from.

Just my 2 cents.....
I agree with you, yes it is a pilgrimage... But you still book a plane ticket or do you leave it to chance on the day? :confused: Obviously doesn't apply if you walk from home :D

Plane tickets are a different thing. I do leave home and hop a bus that gets me to a bus going to the airport. No asking a friend to take me. It is my pilgrimage, after all. In my heart, I am always on the Camino. But I have to cross the Pond and I am not sufficiently elevated to walk across that, yet.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks for the posts! We are starting in April and I have been stressing about the Orisson reservation also. I have tried using the link on their website and sending an email over the last couple of weeks with no response. I also realize they may not be open for business in mid-April. Any ideas out there? My husband and i want to do the pilgrim experience, but for that first night would love to have an assured spot at such a recommended spot! Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks for the posts! We are starting in April and I have been stressing about the Orisson reservation also. I have tried using the link on their website and sending an email over the last couple of weeks with no response. I also realize they may not be open for business in mid-April. Any ideas out there? My husband and i want to do the pilgrim experience, but for that first night would love to have an assured spot at such a recommended spot! Thanks!

Hi Willigsu,

There are few options up there. Orisson is really on its own with Huuntu being about 4 km before them and nothing else along the Route Napoleon between there and Roncesvalles besides a smll stone cabin only there for the purposes of emergencies. There is no running water, heat or food, just a telephone, again, only for emergencies.

Let us say a Pilgrim went up the mountain and reached Orisson and there was no room left. First, this would mean that the overflow facility, about 1 km back down the mountain is also full, they would order a cab to take you back to SJPdP for the evening and return you back to Orisson or the Iron Cross at the Road, a further 8 km up the road from Orisson, so you can resume the Camino, and walk into Spain.

Having said all that, regardless of the circumstance, the Angels of Orisson will take good care of you.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back