• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Booking private accommodation

Marie_pri

Time of past OR future Camino
2018 Camino Frances
2023 Camino Frances
I am looking to walk in May/June with my daughter. We want to stay in private rooms with an ensuit. Does anyone have any advice on pre booking vs booking as we go for this type of accommodation. We are a little torn at the moment as we don't want to be restricted but we also don't want to struggle with finding accommodation.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
trecile took the words out of my mouth (or keyboard). I found innkeepers really helpful in booking ahead in the next stop. There is little upside to booking more than a night ahead with the sole exception of the weekend around October 12, one of the main national holidays-- even there, your innkeeper's help will be golden.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We have done it both ways. The first time, I booked the first night in advance in SJPDP and nothing else (not even Roncesvalles where we arrived at 8:00 p.m. because we had not anticipated walking in snow in April). Everything worked out great!! We never had a "no vacancy" problem with the exception of having to search a little harder for an empty bed in Palas de Rei, however, that was mid-April to mid- May.

The second time we left SJPDP on May 31, so I was very concerned about the summer crowds I had been hearing about (as well as the commentary made about Peter's snoring by our albergue mates on the previous walk) so I booked everything in advance. It was completely unnecessary until after Sarria. In fact, we stayed an extra day in Sarria and we were able to book a private room at an albergue that morning although by the end of the day it was full (mostly because a large school group was staying there). It seemed to me there were less people walking in June than in May, but that may have been because the weather was alternating between torrential rains and sweltering heat.

There are so many reasons not to book in advance such as wanting to stay an extra day someplace (or not wanting to because there is finally a break in the heat wave or lightening), needing a rest, illness , not knowing what your pace is. . . .I had also pre-booked the entire route for a much younger traveling companion and ended up cancelling all of his reservations after Roncesvalles because he would walk 30 miles and then rest a couple of days which is a pattern I did not anticipate when I was making reservations (he also got sick for three days). Fortunately, most of the changes I had to make to my "best laid plans" were far enough in advance that I did not have to pay for a cancelled night. I used booking.com and I like it - having said that, it is very difficult to change a reservation to the next night when one uses booking.com. It would have been very easy to do had I booked directly with the albergue or hotel.

Finally, I will just add one more difference in our experience of booking ahead (and staying in private rooms) vs. looking for a place to stay as you go. I feel like on our overly planned second walk we missed out on some of the most memorable experiences of our unplanned first walk, like stumbling upon Casa Magica and sharing a great laugh with our roommates even though we didn't understand German and Romanian and they didn't speak English. :)

Nonetheless, both walks were wonderful and all that pre-planning was just another great lesson learned along the Camino!

I hope that helps! Buen Camino!

Can I ask what your average nightly spend on accommodation was? Trying to work out some kind of budget for when I set off in December. Only looking for a ball-park figure, as appreciate all accom will be priced differently.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I think it may have crept up a bit as the demand has increased.
The number of albergue/dormitory type accommodation has greatly increased..but I have not noticed many new pension/hostel type facilities.
Also...the prices can be quite different on the different routes.

Can I ask what your average nightly spend on accommodation was? Trying to work out some kind of budget for when I set off in December. Only looking for a ball-park figure, as appreciate all accom will be priced differently.
I am going from Porto to Santiago for eleven nights next week and all accommodation booked through bookings.Com in fairly decent hotels averages out at 42.00 euro per night

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I just went over my list from this summer on CF. We stayed in double rooms ranging between $40 - $60 (33E to 50E). They were all very nice - the price difference depended on whether or not a meal was included, if there was a private bath, and if it was located in a small village or large city. I'm not sure what prices are like in December, I would imagine they will be less expensive in the off-season.
Buen Camino.

EDIT: I just saw your post in a different thread asking about basic accommodation prices. The $40-$60 is for private rooms. A bed in a dorm is much less expensive ranging between $7 -$15 (6E - 12E) per night. Again not sure about winter pricing or availability. Good luck to you.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am looking to walk in May/June with my daughter. We want to stay in private rooms with an ensuit. Does anyone have any advice on pre booking vs booking as we go for this type of accommodation. We are a little torn at the moment as we don't want to be restricted but we also don't want to struggle with finding accommodation.
My husband and I just finished the Camino. We used bookings.com when we wanted a private room although you can also call most Albergues directly. We/I often wanted to give my fellow peregrinos a break from my husband's snoring. Download the app it is now my favorite.

Hello! I did the Northern route last year and found phoning directly to a private albergue/pension the day before worked very well. As others have written, I also used booking.com from time to time.

One hospitalero did tell me that booking.com rates are slightly higher than when you book directly with an albergue. They told me that they couldn't give me the preferred pilgrim rate because of the fees associated with the website. I found it wasn't a big difference (a few euros) but worth knowing about in advance! I don't think the same would apply for hotels etc. as I use the site regularly for non Camino travel and haven't had that same issue.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back